Controller Upgrade

I messed up wiring harness. Waiting for a new one. Thanks for all the help. Will get after it with new harness. Whenever it gets here

On the Sondors bikes, that is a common issue that the controller and display need to be changed at the same time for a compatibility issue.

On the Sondors bikes, that is a common issue that the controller and display need to be changed at the same time for a compatibility issue.
Yeah.. Did change both display and controller. KT LCD3 and KT 35 amp controller. But no luck.

Reopening this thread. Could not get this to work. Want to kind of start from scratch. Bafang 750watt rear motor is good, 48v battery is good. Suggestions for new controller, wiring harness, and display that will all work together with current motor with 3 pin connector, and throttle and PAS both with 3 pin connector.

This can be done, but it's not going to just plug in and go.

I'm guessing your Bolton supplied KT brand controller is set up for a hub motor using hall sensors. The controller you need will have to be set up for a hub motor without hall sensors, or a controller that will work with both. That controller will work with the 3 wire motor you have. KT makes these as well, and they'll work with your lcd-3.

Another option, one that might be easier, would be to install a different motor - one like the Rover uses.

You must have mistyped when you said your BAM has a three pin motor connection. That has AHicks wondering about sensorless motors. Me too, but I went back to your first post. It connected right up to your 35A KT controller, and walk assist worked. So your motor connector is the 9 pin, the motor has hall sensors, and it's all good because walk mode worked.

You can mess up the C parameters so throttle won't work. Set C10 to y and reset the display back to factory parameters.

Are these connectors for the throttle and PAS the round 3 pinners? Again, it's possible BAM switched them. I see this all the time on different controllers with the flat three pin JST connectors. I'd like to see a pic of your throttle connector/

You must have mistyped when you said your BAM has a three pin motor connection. That has AHicks wondering about sensorless motors. Me too, but I went back to your first post. It connected right up to your 35A KT controller, and walk assist worked. So your motor connector is the 9 pin, the motor has hall sensors, and it's all good because walk mode worked.

You can mess up the C parameters so throttle won't work. Set C10 to y and reset the display back to factory parameters.

Are these connectors for the throttle and PAS the round 3 pinners? Again, it's possible BAM switched them. I see this all the time on different controllers with the flat three pin JST connectors. I'd like to see a pic of your throttle connector/
No... connection to motor has only 3 pins.

My bet is there's 3 in the center, with maybe 6 more arranged around the outside?

Nice catch Harry. (walk mode working) I had forgotten that.

This can be done, but it's not going to just plug in and go.

I'm guessing your Bolton supplied KT brand controller is set up for a hub motor using hall sensors. The controller you need will have to be set up for a hub motor without hall sensors, or a controller that will work with both. That controller will work with the 3 wire motor you have. KT makes these as well, and they'll work with your lcd-3.

Another option, one that might be easier, would be to install a different motor - one like the Rover uses.
Actually looking to start over. Keep same motor and battery and find a new controller, new wire harness, new display, that are all compatible. The only way I think I can get it to work.

Actually looking to start over. Keep same motor and battery and find a new controller, new wire harness, new display, that are all compatible. The only way I think I can get it to work.
Or maybe somebody knows of a wire harness that will pull the 3 pin motor, KT controller and KT LCD3 display all together.

I'd like to see a picture of you motor side wiring connector.

20200918_135044.jpg

Pretty sure if you look closely, you'll find there are more than 3 wires there.

Yeah.... I'm blind as a bat. I never noticed the wires around the outside. Do you know what that kind of plug is called?

Yeah.... I'm blind as a bat. I never noticed the wires around the outside. Do you know what that kind of plug is called?

It's a Julet Z916. Kind of an oddball, unfortunately.

Edit: Not actually that odd, but usually used on higher amp controllers/motors.

I think it's normally used on the Bafang motors set up for fat tires/175mm drop outs.

If the one on the controller plugs into it, you should be fine. The fact you had "walk mode" working earlier tells me there should be no concern here.

So back to the parameter settings. Did you do the factory reset (C10=y ) Harry suggested earlier?

If the display is turning on, what is working? Is there a PAS number showing?

I have exposed all wires from wiring harness. The throttle has red, white, and black. I have tried all combinations with white, orange, and brown .... nothing. If I touch purple and green, the motor goes on without throttle. Any ideas?
20200922_164853.jpg

Wish I could be more help.

Would I be wrong to assume that some of those wires are to your brake switches? What else is up front feeding from that harness? Have you tried eliminating those functions/wires to possibly reveal what else needs to be connected?

Here's a link to the non waterproof version of the KT controller similar to yours. You'll see there are 2 charts showing details of wire colors and functions. I don't know for sure if they are going to match what you have going on or not.

Back