Confused About "Class 1 Legality"

Craig, this looks like a really nice bike path. Where in Southern California?

Toomanycats,

Whittier........... They call it "The Whittier Greenway"
Whittier has plans (already in progress) to join Brea & La Habra to make a route converting old railway lines.

1567006581820.png

Craig :cool:

Attachments

• image(4).png
    image(4).png
    141.6 KB · Views: 340
  • image(3).png
    image(3).png
    116.2 KB · Views: 351
  • image(2).png
    image(2).png
    150 KB · Views: 341
  • image(1).png
    image(1).png
    110 KB · Views: 371
  • image.png
    image.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 352
To clarify, York County hasn't banned ebikes. They think ebikes are regulated under motor vehicle laws. They've been informed and it's under advisement at the moment.

@Dewey is spot on with the above post. Following some of the advice in this thread could result in fines and confiscation in some municipalities. I'd hate to read on this forum that it cost someone thousands of dollars because they misunderstood the laws.

Just given the egos involved it's the state and local lawmakers that will be the last to understand grasp the law. The FEDERAL regulations state clearly that compliant ebikes are not considered motorized vehicles. If the state and local lawmakers want to waste resources trying to claim otherwise just vote the idiots out of office.

Just this week I had similar concerns on our rails to trails here in Michigan.A sign at the trail head also says "No Motor Vehicles"I called the DNR who oversees these trails and they told me Class 1 ebikes are good to go on all these rail trails.He said the signs have been on these trails for years and the apply to auto,atv,orv, etc.

There you go....that is the common sense interpretation. Federally compliant ebikes are not motor vehicles regardless what you read from some on this site or others. Most of those alternative opinions have motives behind them (probably insurances sale force or DMV workers). Again I just encourage people to read the REAL federal definition of ebike and not listen to mine or anyone else's opinion. I put the direct quote earlier but others will say it's doesn't matter and local and state authorities can redefine an ebike as motor vehicle. NO THEY CAN'T.

Reactions: CSH
Yes they can, but they can't ban a federally compliant ebike and allow traditional bikes. I understand opinions vary wildly on this but I will again go and read the federal regulation and not an online opinion piece. I suggest that to everyone that wants to be best informed.

Again, everyone should read HB 727 and not an interpretation.

Here's is one statement in the federal regulation that obviously has the intent to equate compliant ebikes and traditional bikes:

...a low-speed electric bicycle (as defined in section 38(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act) shall not be considered a motor vehicle as
defined by section 30102(6) of title 49, United States Code.

Now I'm sure there are those that will still argue that states can regulate compliant ebikes as motor vehicles but these people just fail to read this part of the official amendment because it does not agree with the opinion they already have.

It's your opinion that they can't. It's your opinion that states and local municipalities are held to the CPSA, which they are not. As was already pointed out. If they couldn't, there wouldn't be restrictions all over the country where ebikes are not allowed and bikes are allowed. All those restrictions would be challenged in court, which they are not.

It's your opinion that they can't. It's your opinion that states and local municipalities are held to the CPSA, which they are not. As was already pointed out. If they couldn't, there wouldn't be restrictions all over the country where ebikes are not allowed and bikes are allowed. All those restrictions would be challenged in court, which they are not.

They will be challenged in court eventually and the local laws will loose. I don't think we want total product chaos in this country with every state deciding what is an acceptable product and what isn't. Unless challenged they can claim an ebike is a motor vehicle.

I would look up the specific statue and see what the definition of "motor vehicle" is.
My understanding is that "motor vehicle" is a combustion engine.

I would look up the specific statue and see what the definition of "motor vehicle" is.
My understanding is that "motor vehicle" is a combustion engine.

It is most likely. The issue is that some local governments are using it to keep federally compliant ebikes off or various paths. Obviously they can if no one challenges it, but I do not believe they local/state have that "usage" flexibility unless than ban all bikes as well from the same paths (that they can do).

To clarify, York County hasn't banned ebikes. They think ebikes are regulated under motor vehicle laws. They've been informed and it's under advisement at the moment.

@ J.R., I'm a bit confused here. You are one of those actually trying to do something about York County's action against ebikes and for that I thank you! I used to ride the Heritage and Torry C Brown trails regularly but have stayed away due to York county's recent attitude.

My question is, if York County hasn't banned ebikes, why are riders being confronted as mentioned in your original post on the subject?

@ J.R., I'm a bit confused here. You are one of those actually trying to do something about York County's action against ebikes and for that I thank you! I used to ride the Heritage and Torry C Brown trails regularly but have stayed away due to York county's recent attitude.

My question is, if York County hasn't banned ebikes, why are riders being confronted as mentioned in your original post on the subject?

Locally we say they haven't banned ebikes in law or regulation because the parks department claims motor vehicle regulations apply. The State says motor vehicle regulations do not apply. The County doesn't have legal authority to classify what is and what is not a motor vehicle. That's a State and Federal regulatory issue.

We have received encouraging comments by elected county government, not the unelected beurocrats in the parks department. The confrontation this week has me a little discouraged and frustrated. We hope to know more in a few weeks. At this time I don't want to publicly post everything going on. It's more complicated than it should be. I don't want to be misconstrued and have someone act on incomplete information.

@Dewey is spot on with the above post. Following some of the advice in this thread could result in fines and confiscation in some municipalities. I'd hate to read on this forum that it cost someone thousands of dollars because they misunderstood the laws.
JR is correct, YCP has not banned Ebikes. ironically it is PA motor vehicle code which defines them as pedalcycles. Can YCP separate traditional bikes from ebikes for regulation when state definations classify them as the same??? That is the $100 question.

JR is correct, YCP has not banned Ebikes. ironically it is PA motor vehicle code which defines them as pedalcycles. Can YCP separate traditional bikes from ebikes for regulation when state definations classify them as the same??? That is the $100 question.

No they can't. This is all about local officials looking for revenue streams. If federally compliant ebikes are consider the equivalent of a bike then these local officials see a bit tougher budget challenge and maybe even their pensions being cut a bit. They should just leave compliant ebikes alone in any usage that a traditional bike has been allowed. That requires them to have common sense and some interest in a better future.

Back