Concerned about my decision

AdamC

Ordered juiced ccs 17.4 battery with intention of commuting 34 miles rnd trip year rtrip 4to 5 days a week. Some hills at first and last of ride. Used to commute standard bike 3-4 days a week 13 rnd trip all hi Some hills at first and last of ride ride northern west virginia. Am i being reasonable is this a feasible goal?

Ordered juiced ccs 17.4 battery with intention of commuting 34 miles rnd trip year rtrip 4to 5 days a week. Some hills at first and last of ride. Used to commute standard bike 3-4 days a week 13 rnd trip all hi Some hills at first and last of ride ride northern west virginia. Am i being reasonable is this a feasible goal?

You need an extra charger for use at office. On very cold days, you won't be able to make the return trip on 1 charge.
The bike has plenty of power if you are a pedaling kind of guy.

I have the exact same bike/battery combo. But I live in West Los Angeles, where it's fairly flat and warm (obviously). I think I could get 45-50 miles out of the battery pack on level 2 mostly and the occasional blast in S mode. The hills and cold will definitely be a challenge for that 17.4 pack. Though in warm weather, I think you'll be good.

I plan on using it like a regular bike, just fast. waiting to hear about being able to plug into the office.....
that said what type of speed are you holding at level 2? I'm hoping to stay 16-20mph to keep my commute at an hour and the battery life up.

Hmmmm, that's WAAAAYYYY outside of my budget goals, at least the 2nd battery anyway. the charger I can drag with me.
do you think I am likely to run out of juice with a 17.4ah x 48v battery?

Sweating is actually something I look forward too! am waiting to here back about being able to charge at work- govt building lots of restrictions-
but I have no intentions of pretending its a motorcycle- just make it a faster commute than by unassisted bike. sounds like if I wanna be lazy a bit on way to work if I'm birned out I can cruise and recharge at work or if I'm an animal and wanna make it a workout then I may not have to recharge. is that about right?

how do these things handle snow?

Hi Adam, just to add another complication to all of this keep in mind that if you charge your battery up past 85-90% or so, or if you discharge it fully, you are going to drastically reduce the lifespan of the battery. That's OK if you're willing to buy replacement batteries more often but since you were talking about staying in budget it may be something to consider. When bike vendors give you their estimated range they don't take this into account - but are normally talking about a 100% charge and a total discharge. As for the difference it makes in the life span of the battery do a search on the forum, there's a really great video from Grin Technologies that talks about it - it's a huge difference in life span.

yeah I'm wondering if the number they give for number of recharge is based on complete discharge from 100% - either way if I can get 2.5 to 3 years out of a battery that seems ok

I plan on using it like a regular bike, just fast. waiting to hear about being able to plug into the office.....
that said what type of speed are you holding at level 2? I'm hoping to stay 16-20mph to keep my commute at an hour and the battery life up.

My readout tracks wh/mi which is the electric equivalent of mpg. I have noticed that after most rides, in similar terrain, the mph range you want to achieve and the wh/mi and miles traveled number come out to be very close to the same. Your battery is 835wh’s so at 20wh/mi-20 mph your range would be 41 or so miles.

If your bike has the ability to go faster than 20 and factoring in cold temps as mentioned you could probably get in to a routine where round tripping is possible but a recharge at work would assure your success. No need for a second battery that I can see.

Averaging anything close to 20mph is going to be tough. It's amazing how much of a time killer stop lights and traffic are. I've been averaging about 2400 miles a year for the last two years. I don't commute, but I bet I'm averaging about 14mph or slightly less at the best. Holding 20mph for an hour is a hard concentrated ride, unless you have a BIG battery!

THATS SOME GOOD INFO JRA! I'm learning a bit about the black magic that is understanding electric power and such, its useful to think of watts per mile and average used- it is demystifying

rich c- luckily I have almost zero traffic its all country roads only 1 stop light the whole trip- maybe 2

My readout tracks wh/mi which is the electric equivalent of mpg. I have noticed that after most rides, in similar terrain, the mph range you want to achieve and the wh/mi and miles traveled number come out to be very close to the same. Your battery is 835wh’s so at 20wh/mi-20 mph your range would be 41 or so miles.

If your bike has the ability to go faster than 20 and factoring in cold temps as mentioned you could probably get in to a routine where round tripping is possible but a recharge at work would assure your success. No need for a second battery that I can see.

That really demystifies the range issue- thanks

It's what I do with my bike and it helps me deal with range anxiety and gives me additional insurance on downtime in case a charger broke or a battery broke. I keep one battery at work at all times along with the charger. When I arrive at work I plug the spent battery to be recharged and I use the battery that is at work for lunch runs etc ... then I ride back home on the recharged battery. Sometimes I do events in town where I can comfortably waste the battery on Turbo mode and feel good about just grabbing a fresh one for the ride home.

Hmmmm, that's WAAAAYYYY outside of my budget goals, at least the 2nd battery anyway. the charger I can drag with me.
do you think I am likely to run out of juice with a 17.4ah x 48v battery?

My 14 mile commute is between 600 and 700 feet elevation gain (depending on the direction of travel) and I average 20mph on my ebike. This is, however, 'moving speed'. Strava only records the stats when I'm on the move. Any stops at traffic lights etc ... are not counted into the equation.

Averaging anything close to 20mph is going to be tough. It's amazing how much of a time killer stop lights and traffic are. I've been averaging about 2400 miles a year for the last two years. I don't commute, but I bet I'm averaging about 14mph or slightly less at the best. Holding 20mph for an hour is a hard concentrated ride, unless you have a BIG battery!

mine will have about double the gain in elevation but only 1 or 2 stop lights early on, how hard are you exerting yourself for this avg speed like 1-5

that's a hard question to answer. Basically I pedal almost nonstop and I think it is at medium cadence (compared to my biking friends) . Because I also bike the same commute on non electric bikes I have to say that on a scale of 1 - 5 my e-bike commute is a 2 and my conventional bike commute is a 3. Biking to 40 miles up Kangamagus highway for a 2500' vert and back is a 4 and a fat biking 1600 vert in fresh snow is a 5

mine will have about double the gain in elevation but only 1 or 2 stop lights early on, how hard are you exerting yourself for this avg speed like 1-5

HHOOOEEYYY that's some good biking, I feel like ill be in the same ball park.

sorry for all the questions, waiting impatiently for new bike as contemplate if I'm making a wise decision to sell the car and do bike commutingagain

If you sell the car then you'd better invest in some contingencies...at least that is what I would do... electronic devices break, eventually and you want to be ready to deal with it without missing too many work arrivals :)

HHOOOEEYYY that's some good biking, I feel like ill be in the same ball park.

sorry for all the questions, waiting impatiently for new bike as contemplate if I'm making a wise decision to sell the car and do bike commutingagain

Back