Comparison new bike to tow trailer

Pjbul1

Region
Australia
Hi brains trust. I am about to purchase an e-bike. I have enjoyed reading many posts on this site but would love to ask one question please. :) I have watched many YouTube reviews but it’s hard to know if anyone these days is being paid a commission to push a certain brand / model.
Comparing 4 models and LOVE any feedback help please.

Aim: best bike for around $2k for towing a trailer w 2 kids.
Only on tarmac
Not phased if step through or not.
Partner and I to share
The 4 models which I have narrowed it down to are:
-XDS E-Cruz
-NCM Milano Plus
-Reid Blacktop 2.0
-Aventon Soltera

(Unless there is a model / brand I should checkout which I’m missing?)
I am based in Adelaide. Australia
Thank you

Hello, I visited Adelaide in November and rented a folding ebike from Cit-E-Cycles to ride along the Torrens Linear park trail. You're right to try out hub vs mid-drive motor with a torque sensor, either the Reid or XDS sound reasonable, and deliver similar 80 nm torque to the 36v Bafang BBS01 mid-drive I used back home in the US until a couple of years ago to tow a single and double child trailer up hills. Sometimes I would hook up the trailer to my lightweight pedal bike but found I preferred both the assistance of the motor but also the extra weight of my e-bike while towing, as I would sometimes wobble around on the lighter bike when having to stand on the pedals to get going up hills. If you're interested in a hub motor to tow a child trailer you might prefer the heavier NCM Milano with its suspension fork and more powerful 48v hub motor over the Aventon Soltera with its more lightweight rigid frame and modest power 36v hub motor.

Last edited:
Towing a trailer I would make sure what you pick has a twist or thumb throttle. You would be using it to top the crest of a hill or help you get started on an uphill start.

Thank you and I also just had someone recommend a Kalkhoff Endeavour 1.B. A little more expensive but looks pretty plush. The sales person did say he thinks mid drive is best for a trailer. Hmmm??? I’m confused yet again

Depends how the trailer hitch attaches to the bike. I could see an issue if you had a hub motor with a power cable coming out the end would prevent you using a Thule axle hitch mount. Also a mid-drive makes it easier to fix a flat.

I notice the Kalkhoff Endeavour 1.b uses a Bosch Gen 3 motor. If the bike is on sale it might be worth it, otherwise if you’re interested in a Bosch ebike I’d look for one using the new Bosch Smart System, mainly because the newer system ought to be easier for users to update and support moving forward, see Reddit discussion here

Last edited:
Back