Como Tires - Something slightly more agressive?

Nwr2339

Still pretty new to bikes and so far love the Como 4.0. One thing i've thought might be an issue are the tires. Totally fine on well packed gravel and paved roads but they get quite squirly on any type of sand, semi loose gravel or grass. I generally have to stop peddling to make sure the bike doesn't go sideways.

There are a few stretches I could take a dirt path next to a very busy roads vs taking the risk of rush hour traffic but I avoid it all together because I don't have confidence that the bike won't slide out from under me. Been looking through the forum using the search but I haven't seen anything specific where people talk about swapping the Specialized Nimbus Sport for something with a bit more grip on the Como. Not wanting anything crazy, just slightly more tread than the slicks it has on it.

• Will changing the tires be an issue with the ride comfort?
  • Will there be a noticeable difference in effort on paved roads?
  • Any issues with the fit on the rims?
  • Is there an option that offers more aggressive grip but still has the puncture protection of the Specialized Nimbus Sport?

Still pretty new to bikes and so far love the Como 4.0. One thing i've thought might be an issue are the tires. Totally fine on well packed gravel and paved roads but they get quite squirly on any type of sand, semi loose gravel or grass. I generally have to stop peddling to make sure the bike doesn't go sideways.

There are a few stretches I could take a dirt path next to a very busy roads vs taking the risk of rush hour traffic but I avoid it all together because I don't have confidence that the bike won't slide out from under me. Been looking through the forum using the search but I haven't seen anything specific where people talk about swapping the Specialized Nimbus Sport for something with a bit more grip on the Como. Not wanting anything crazy, just slightly more tread than the slicks it has on it.

• Is there an option that offers more aggressive grip but still has the puncture protection of the Specialized Nimbus Sport?
Ride comfort is more a matter of tire pressure, lower pressure, more comfort - up to a point. At too low a pressure you get nuisance flats. You should be OK running at the lower range of the mfg's pressure spec, depending on your weight. Heavier riders need to go with higher pressures.

Tires designed for more grip tend to have more aggressive tread design that is less efficent on pavement. There are tire profiles, like the Schwalbe Hurricane, that have smooth center strips and aggressive tread on the edges. These are intended to address your exact point. Others have reported good results with these designs.

Take a look at Schwalbe's site covering tire dimensions; https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions . There's a tab that covers which tires fit which rims.

I don't know about other bands, but Schwalbe rates puncture protection for their tires. Take a look at their spec sheets for their various models.

One more thing (apologies to S. Jobs), your bike has fenders, correct? Tires with more aggressive tread designs may fit your rims OK, but have a fit problem with your fenders. Check with your LBS on this.

Ride On!

Needed more aggressive tread on my 2019 Como 4 due to slipping and sliding like you. Asked dealer about it and he suggested Continental Cross King 27.5 x 2.3.

just got them installed, haven’t ridden them yet to give you an opinion.

I had to replace my OEM Specialized Trigger Sport tire on my Vado 5 last fall. I rotated the front Trigger Sport to the rear and mounted a Schwalbe Smart Sam on the front.

Just enough extra traction to help on looser surfaces without interfering with the Vado fenders. The tire makes a bit more noise on pavement so there must be more rolling resistance though I don't notice it.

Needed more aggressive tread on my 2019 Como 4 due to slipping and sliding like you. Asked dealer about it and he suggested Continental Cross King 27.5 x 2.3.

just got them installed, haven’t ridden them yet to give you an opinion.
Have you gotten a chance to try them yet?

On rims you need to be rim size +5-8mm. I think you are looking at a wider tire for sand stuff. I would consider the GravelKing series from Panaracer. Continentals are good tire too. Also consider that knobbies are OK for mud, but loose gravel can be done with slicks too. Lastly consider just going to a 38mm - 45mm. It is wide enough for gravel-sand, but you need something really wide (55mm+) for full on sand.

Back