Cold Weather Commuting and cold legs. BIking greaves?

The Rain Legs solved that problem and using my regular winter coat with enough layers took care of the rest. I also have a balaclava like think called a "head sock" that does the job too and fits under my helmet even.
I used to motor cycle but gave it up a long time ago.

Snowing but 36 degrees so no sticking. I got a bit cold with all the snow stinking to my chest. but I would have been fine but we could not go our usual speed because of the snow on my glasses.
IMG_1118.jpeg

Hard to find:
Insulated pants with full length long side zippers, all the way to the waist side zippers. Easy to get on and off without the need to remove shoes. Found mine at a bike shop. My local sporting goods had some but they were all camouflage colors. Not for me but everyone is different.
usharedo Men Women Outdoor Climbing Down Pants Windproof Winter Warm Pants White Goose Down Pants NH19FS018 https://a.co/d/8FubHSs

Not suitable for pedalling.
Pedal? Hells bells when it’s below 20F -7C I just wanna get there. Hammer the throttle! For some o& us the eBike is our transportation year round. Bundle up and throttle up to class 3 speeds and get the errand done. All the while keeping another stinkpot cage off the streets.

Pedal? Hells bells when it’s below 20F -7C I just wanna get there. Hammer the throttle! For some o& us the eBike is our transportation year round. Bundle up and throttle up to class 3 speeds and get the errand done. All the while keeping another stinkpot cage off the streets.

If your throttle goes to "class 3 speeds" it sounds like it is jailbroke.

But in the cold I will do the opposite, I will turn the boost down a couple clicks and pedal harder to warm up first before increasing the boost/speed/wind for the rest of the ride.

But in the cold I will do the opposite, I will turn the boost down a couple clicks and pedal harder to warm up first before increasing the boost/speed/wind for the rest of the ride.
exactly the harder you work the warmer you will be. I had a e scooter before my bike and it sucked in the winter I stopped riding it but for short distances.

We certainly have a hardy bunch here at EBR.

"class 3 speeds" it sounds like it is jailbroke.
All of my bikes are kitted but actually, most are dumbed down to class 2 speeds. Rarely do I actually exceed 20 MPH. I'll never own an eBike without a throttle. Nor will I use torque sensing. Because I'm less than able PAS and throttle work for me.

It's a shame we ever left the 750W 20MPH and pedals Federal standard IMO. NO to classes.

1670284559401.png

There is no bad weather only inadequate clothes :) I use electrically heated boot insoles and socks to keep my feet warm during winter rides.

1670284677738.png

Winter tyres are a must for adequate traction, especially if you happen to ride onto ice.

Of course, you ride far slower in the winter. It would not be nice to crash at high speed. And the wind chill factor becomes unbearable at speed rides during the frost.

If easy on/off is a priority, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned tear-away basketball pants. Yes the first thing you may think of are stripper pants, which are easy to literally whip off. But there are athletic versions commonly used by basketball players meant to be worn during a workout that are full zip on the sides and almost as quick to remove so you can jump back into the game if you heat up. Very soft/flexible. Not my thing but if you just have to be able to swiftly and easily take off your pants...

You need something with snaps up the side, like basketball players wear during warmup then they can rip them off when it is time for business.
Heres an example, if you got the cash you can have the dash...

Hard to find:
Insulated pants with full length long side zippers, all the way to the waist side zippers. Easy to get on and off without the need to remove shoes. Found mine at a bike shop. My local sporting goods had some but they were all camouflage colors. Not for me but everyone is different.
Here you go, with full side Zips:

Engineered with serious mountaineers in mind, these pants satisfy the unique needs of cold weather backpackers, backcountry skiers, and people active in the winter alpine. Using our proprietary EXCELOFT synthetic insulation, the Tec Thermawrap Pants feature Full Length Side Zippers and extra reinforcement in key contact areas, while staying lightweight to deliver comfort, mobility, and packability.

Not exactly a steal at $219. But they are great for cold weather. I've spent many a cold evening in camp on Alaskan glaciers with those on.

Back