@Mr. Coffee spoke of divestment. About 2 years-ago Dick's Sporting Goods stopped selling guns and ammo. People could go there and buy three shopping carts of ammo and no one would question it. Imagine the PR if with a roll of the dice that was then used in a mass shooting? How would investors and the public react? There would be pickets. School sports leagues would go elsewhere. So what happened to the company's stock price?
1653583851924.png

Well, I guess I'll have to stay out of North 40 then. I like their garden plants and they are cool about me parking my bike in the store.

It is very funny. At Overstock.com, the crappier the bike the less clothing on a model. Have these marketing people been timewarped from MadMen? Or are they in some country like Russia? Also, the models are all photoshopped into the backgrounds just look at how they are not really touching the bikes or if they are it is very weird.

Attachments

• JokeBike2.jpg
    JokeBike2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 119
  • JokeBike7.jpg
    JokeBike7.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Jokebike6.jpg
    Jokebike6.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 125
  • JokeBike5.jpg
    JokeBike5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 108
  • JokeBike4.jpg
    JokeBike4.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 110
  • JokeBike3.jpg
    JokeBike3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 125
@PedalUma -- Weight, battery size, torque and approx. range? Just curious, as always!
@Catalyzt, It depends on the starter bike and stuff like the quality of its bearings. Big Ben 29 tires are fast. A basic conversion means that some stuff goes and some is added. Am I ditching a forged single piece American crankset that weighs a ton from a Schwinn, or a Sram Eagle from a Specialized? Okay, it usually adds about 10 pounds. Premium cells kick butt above their weight class. Crappy cells might look better in a spread sheet but not on the road. I usually use 10.5Ah, 36V. 10.5Ah 48V for cargo. I have ridden my steel three speed coaster brake bike with a 7Ah battery from downtown Petaluma, CA to the Codding Town Mall in N Santa Rosa and back on one charge. That is 50 miles, with wind, hills, lights and one bike path, averaging 18.2 Mph, using only power levels 1 and 2 of four. The battery connector works for various sizes. I have done that same ride six times with the same result, with a pannier. If you really want to ride for five or six hours of thorough prostate massage you can take two. I normally do 85Nm for the longevity of the drivetrain. On cargo or fat I will do 90Nm. More than 100 is asking for problems.
Oh, good article here, fun too. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...ve-evolved-have-we-jody-rosen-two-wheels-good

Attachments

• BattNeye.JPG
    BattNeye.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 107
  • CremeUno3e - Copy (2).JPG
    CremeUno3e - Copy (2).JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 116
  • CremeUno3f.JPG
    CremeUno3f.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 98
  • CremeUno3g.JPG
    CremeUno3g.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 113
  • CremeUno3h.JPG
    CremeUno3h.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
This has nothing to do with bikes. A National Park Ranger just retied at 100. That is amazing. When you can, check it out. Look up this:

Betty Reid Soskin at 100: The Life of the Nation's Oldest Park Ranger, in Her Own Words​

1653787009479.png

I wonder if we as a society we could invest in divesting from weapons of war in public? WWII proved that we can join together and mobilize. 1) Pay companies to retool and retrain to do something else that is useful. 2) Buy back these guns to crush them. 3) Do a reverse grandfather making them unlawful, worthless to hold, sell or trade in 15 years. We did something similar with tommy guns. The value of a statical life in 2016 by the EPA was $10 Million. Over 45,000 people in the US died because of a firearm in 2020. That's $45,000,000 in 2016 damages. But a house that cost $430,000 in 2016 is now worth $834,000 in CA almost twice as much. This is a Billion dollar problem annually.
1653787375829.png

I believe the solution lies in Campaign Finance Reform…public financing of elections so that our representatives can work rather than beg…Justice Stevens said we should eliminate the outdated 2nd amendment which never applied to the individual in any case…”Can’t they read?” He said about a majority opinion

Unfortunately, partly because we had an insurrection recently, I have to disagree with some of y'all on giving up private ownership of firearms completely just at this particular moment.

It would be nice to be done with them for good someday. But I think of it like riding downhill. No matter how badly you want to come to a stop instantly, that is not a good idea. The only way to stop instantly is by hitting a brick wall. I would rather take a century or two to get the job done, and get it done right.

That does not mean doing nothing right now. Starting with the laws in Los Angeles specifically, which are pretty robust, I would phase in a national licensing system modeled after HIPAA-- private. No one but LEO and health care professionals should know who does or does not own a gun.

And also, people should not discuss their own personal ownership of firearms on social media or in public, any more than they should discuss how many Rolexes they own. And I would add: It may not be a great idea to advertise it if you do not own a gun. Why give up any tactical advantage? Here in LA, criminals have to guess whether someone owns a gun or not. As dangerous as it is here, it's way safer than many other places I've lived, and unfortunately, that's one of the reasons.

Start with four year license renewals, decrease to two years, mandatory range test, all weapons must be inspected. No biometric or e-junk trigger locks, all that sh*t is prone to failure and will backfire, no sweetheart deals for hardware or software developers. DUIs, domestic violence, disorderly conduct, etc. are grounds for confiscation. No full auto weapons, no magazines over ten rounds. No more than four firearms per person: One handgun, one pistol, one scattergun, and one long gun of any type. I don't care if it looks like an AR or a plasma rifle from Terminator, just so long as it is semi-auto, not full. Minimum age of ownership = at least 21. Licensing and range tests would solve another issue: There are plenty of folks who own guns, store them safely for home defense, but never practice their skills.

Also: You must surrender your firearm for six weeks when starting, stopping, or changing the dosage of SSRIs. (That would take us a step closer to banning the most dangerous and useless psych meds as well, kill two birds with one... ah, weird metaphor.)

This gets us to another serious issue and the heart of Catalyzt's Plan for a Safer America: A centralized system for safe storage of firearms and any other weapons. This is a real problem in my business. Let's say I have a suicidal or homicidal client who owns a gun. That is the person who is most at risk, and we have no mechanism for helping that person! If that client has a friend who is a responsible firearm owner, okay-- I can arrange for my client to surrender their weapon temporarily to the friend, and they will know they can retrieve it later.

But if that client has no such friend? I can't take the gun from them-- that's more liability than I'd want to have. And they won't give up their gun to an LEO because they know they may never get it back. I've been in this very situation-- or a lot closer than I'd like to be-- with clients, and it sucks!

Finally: If we had a safe storage option -- if each town and city had a gun vault -- that could be a way to ease out of our gun fetish. Think about it: It's 2045, we've had 10 years of peace, but there's a major natural disaster, and people are concerned for their safety. You renew your license (except in a carefully defined exigent circumstance, where you might get a two-week grace period), go down to the LEO, enter your code, show your ID, and retrieve your weapon.

If I were a legacy gun owner, I might consent to that. That might get a gun out of the house. In 2160, your descendants would still have a right to go through a process and retrieve the firearm if they got a license... but hopefully by then, no one would want to. It would be too uncool, like smoking.

Also, this could solve a huge problem with gun theft. I do know people who would LOVE to go on vacation without leaving firearms in their homes, even in a safe bolted to the joists.

OTOH, if we have a zombie apocalypse or alien invasion-- or a real invasion by hostile humans? We would have a sh*t-pile of weapons stored in hardened facilities. It could actually be a serious deterrent.

I don't think we should do away with the Second Amendment.

But hibernate it? Someday, that could work.

@Catalyzt, It depends on the starter bike and stuff like the quality of its bearings. Big Ben 29 tires are fast. A basic conversion means that some stuff goes and some is added. Am I ditching a forged single piece American crankset that weighs a ton from a Schwinn, or a Sram Eagle from a Specialized? Okay, it usually adds about 10 pounds. Premium cells kick butt above their weight class. Crappy cells might look better in a spread sheet but not on the road. I usually use 10.5Ah, 36V. 10.5Ah 48V for cargo. I have ridden my steel three speed coaster brake bike with a 7Ah battery from downtown Petaluma, CA to the Codding Town Mall in N Santa Rosa and back on one charge. That is 50 miles, with wind, hills, lights and one bike path, averaging 18.2 Mph, using only power levels 1 and 2 of four. The battery connector works for various sizes. I have done that same ride six times with the same result, with a pannier. If you really want to ride for five or six hours of thorough prostate massage you can take two. I normally do 85Nm for the longevity of the drivetrain. On cargo or fat I will do 90Nm. More than 100 is asking for problems.
Oh, good article here, fun too. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...ve-evolved-have-we-jody-rosen-two-wheels-good

Interesting-- that is very helpful! My HillTopper has a 250 Watt, 5.4Ah 36 Volt, and on a 40 pound bike, that will do 15 miles with about 1,500 feet of vertical using throttle + pedaling averaging 13 MPH. Let's figure it would be 30% more efficient as a mid-drive, and climb a bit better -- call it about 20 mile range at a slightly higher average speed for 5.4 amps with maybe 2,000 feet of vertical. I can easily believe that a hypothetical 40ish pound bike could do 40 miles and 4,000 feet of vertical with 10.5 Ah

I'm already making a lot of assumptions! But what I'd like -- someday -- is about 42 pounds max full suspension, 50 miles of range with 5,000 feet of vertical. With that, I could get into the Verdugos and really go nuts -- go down the other side to La Canada Flintridge, go see my client in Sun Valley, or even ride to work without range anxiety. I wouldn't mind a bit more speed, either. I'd totally settle for 60 nm of torque, but 85 would be ideal. I could throw that bike in the back of the car more easily, too.

What I've got now is 40nm of torque, 46 pounds, 250 volts, 418Wh (or 11.6 Wh), 42 miles of range with about 4,200 feet of vertical, working very, very hard.

It's fine... for now. Just fun to look at the numbers.

Add to your saved stories
Save

Gift Article
Four years ago, when — as now — the nation was reeling from the horror of a mass school shooting, a retired Supreme Court justice suggested a radical solution: getting rid of the Second Amendment.
John Paul Stevens issued the call after 17 people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in February 2018. The attack prompted hundreds of thousands to demand action the next month to end gun violence at the March for Our Lives.

In a March 27, 2018, New York Times op-ed, Stevens praised the protesters and their call for stricter gun control laws. “But the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform,” he wrote, about a year before his death at 99. “They should demand a repeal of the Second Amendment.”
Stevens said the amendment was adopted out of concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the states. “Today that concern is a relic of the 18th century,” he wrote.
An elementary school massacre spurred tighter gun control in the U.K.
He called repeal a “simple but dramatic action [that] would move Saturday’s marchers closer to their objective than any other possible reform” and would make schoolchildren safer.

Advertisement

But Stevens didn’t acknowledge the herculean challenge that his proposal entailed, as there was (and remains) zero chance that gun control advocates would get anywhere close to the two-thirds majority in both houses of Congress and ratification by three-fourths of the states needed for repeal.
Stevens’s proposal didn’t generate a lot of momentum, but it did get pushback from some fellow liberals.
“I admire Justice Stevens but his supposedly ‘simple but dramatic’ step of repealing the 2d Am is AWFUL advice,” tweeted Laurence Tribe, a Harvard law professor. “The obstacle to strong gun laws is political, not legal. Urging a politically impossible effort just strengthens opponents of achievable reform.”
Tribe expanded on his argument in a Washington Post op-ed, headlined “The Second Amendment isn’t the problem.” “The NRA’s strongest rallying cry has been: ‘They’re coming for our beloved Second Amendment,’” he wrote. “Enter Stevens, stage left, boldly calling for the amendment’s demise, thereby giving aid and comfort to the gun lobby’s favorite argument.”

Advertisement

In his op-ed, Stevens wrote that repeal was necessary to overturn the Supreme Court’s 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller ruling that Americans had an individual right to bear arms. He was one of four dissenters in that case.
They were killers with powerful guns. The president went after their weapons.
“For over 200 years after the adoption of the Second Amendment, it was uniformly understood as not placing any limit on either federal or state authority to enact gun control legislation,” Stevens wrote in the op-ed.
Republican President Gerald Ford nominated Stevens to the court in 1975, at a time when Supreme Court nominations were not as politicized as they are today. Stevens eventually became one of its most liberal members. Although his 2018 proposal didn’t go anywhere, calls for repeal continue today.

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend about this when I suddenly realized something. First it's not just the gun thing but also 6+ years of trump lies, his coup attempt, his war on women etc etc. Back in the 70's I received a high lottery number and felt relief that I didn't have to move to Canada and now I feel regret that I didn't get a low lottery number and moved to Canada. Too old and settled now to do it.

@Catalyzt, Those small torque sensor motors cannot go on full suspension bikes without welding. How about just an air fork up front and a hardtail rear? This is because there is a secondary motor mount that goes on the chain stays at the bottom bracket. It need to be locked down. It cannot move. Look for the hex cap screw in this photo just behind the seat tube on this Specialized Pitch I am working on this morning. I just need to solder in the battery connector, put on the chainring and chain. With a little programing it will be ready to ride.
Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness in public is God given and not a second tier amendable amendment. Weapons of war in public are a direct threat to Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness. Weapons of war in public need to go for us to live the American Dream of freedom.

Attachments

• ThePitchIsBack.JPG
    ThePitchIsBack.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 107
Just yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend about this when I suddenly realized something. First it's not just the gun thing but also 6+ years of trump lies, his coup attempt, his war on women etc etc. Back in the 70's I received a high lottery number and felt relief that I didn't have to move to Canada and now I feel regret that I didn't get a low lottery number and moved to Canada. Too old and settled now to do it.
We got talked out of Sweden in 1973. Worst advice of our 49 years together.

Like your sensible builds so much( they look acoustic) was too late to get a "Baypointe" 3spd and a 10 spd racer. could of had them both for 35$ if I hadn;t been tardy, good sense on your builds I have been amazed at how good 10 Ah has been good to me.

@Catalyzt, Those small torque sensor motors cannot go on full suspension bikes without welding. How about just an air fork up front and a hardtail rear? This is because there is a secondary motor mount that goes on the chain stays at the bottom bracket. It need to be locked down. It cannot move. Look for the hex cap screw in this photo just behind the seat tube on this Specialized Pitch I am working on this morning. I just need to solder in the battery connector, put on the chainring and chain. With a little programing it will be ready to ride.
Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness in public is God given and not a second tier amendable amendment. Weapons of war in public are a direct threat to Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness. Weapons of war in public need to go for us to live the American Dream of freedom.
Agree, even in "Rifle season" that .338 magnum the hunter is carrying gives me the jitters, one round would cut me in half,I always am very polite to "gun bearers"

So what if we ended private ownership but allowed for 24-hour rentals of stuff like body armor and military weapons? If you had suicidal ideation or were demented, had crime in mind, or wanted to kill your brother in law, you could just go to the liability insured and licensed local gun rental shop.

Back