Television/Radio; When AM Ruled Music, and WABC Was King​

Throughout the 1960's and 70's, WABC-AM (770) was the dominant top-40 radio station in the New York area, outlasting all of its local competitors. It's a challenge to find a baby boomer who grew up within reach of its 50,000-watt signal who does not recall the signature jingle sung to the tune of Rodgers and Hart's ''Manhattan.'' And with so many stations and formats available today, not to mention cable music channels and the Internet, it's hard to imagine a single radio outlet being as powerful as WABC was in its heyday.
Does anyone know who Linda Ronstadt's backup band was?

Television/Radio; When AM Ruled Music, and WABC Was King​

Throughout the 1960's and 70's, WABC-AM (770) was the dominant top-40 radio station in the New York area, outlasting all of its local competitors. It's a challenge to find a baby boomer who grew up within reach of its 50,000-watt signal who does not recall the signature jingle sung to the tune of Rodgers and Hart's ''Manhattan.'' And with so many stations and formats available today, not to mention cable music channels and the Internet, it's hard to imagine a single radio outlet being as powerful as WABC was in its heyday.
Does anyone know who Linda Ronstadt's backup band was?
I've thought about thanking Linda Ronstadt since 1974 🙃

The related issue is that oil really is a finite resource, and we need to use what is left wisely and very slllooowwlly to run mission critical infrastructure. Tight oil is expensive and messy no matter what kind of gasoline you are making.

As for reformulated gas, I am with you part of the way on that-- I think. I haven't looked into the ethanol blends in a long time, but last time I did a medium-deep dive, the amount of water and land we need for the corn that creates the ethanol is not an efficient use of resources and has its own unintended consequences. And yes, it also is not great for cars-- and the higher the percentage, the worse the damage. The MX5's fuel pump failed at 37,000 miles, though the CRX doesn't seem to mind the stuff. Only non-maintenance mechanical problem the MX5 has had in six years. I'll always wonder if it was the ethanol that killed the fuel pump, but I have no way of knowing, it's definitely a wild theory. (The CRX doesn't really even need gas, I just give it to him as a treat because he's such a good boy.)

The detergent additives in high-end gas do seem to help. My cars have always run better on 76 and Chevron. I also always buy premium, even for the CRX. I have never believed that there is no difference in fuel economy, though I admit that is speculative. It always seemed to get slightly better mileage with 91 octane than with 89. As for the extra money, the car is so efficient, hey, who cares? I think it may burn a little cleaner, too, though the science on that is above my pay grade. For some cars that have a 'ceiling' on the automatic timing advance, mm, maybe 91 is really unnecessary. I think the CRX is old enough, and its little brain is small enough, so that it has no 'ceiling' that stops the timing from advancing to a more efficient setting. (Though now, I want to look into this. This may be an utterly false belief.) And anecdotally, mine is one of the relatively few I've heard of that routinely exceeds EPA estimates for fuel economy by a wide margin. It's rated at 47 highway, but 51 is not uncommon. Drivers who are more disciplined than me have gotten 55 with the car fully loaded. which means 58 is possible, and a few outliers report fuel economy in the low 60s.

I also agree that EVs need to be more practical. I think the first step is overhauling safety regulations-- and I know that's not a popular idea, but it's critical to save weight. The sheet metal in vehicles does not have to be as thick as is now. I kind of think that people should just learn to be more careful drivers at this point so they can drive lighter cars. Fewer distractions would help, and I personally, I don't think any car should have an LCD display-- particularly touch screen-- for any reason. It's also another point of failure, something else that will need to be replaced. For whatever reason, and I know it's not very scientific, but everyone I know who has been seriously injured in an accident was driving a heavy car that was supposed to be safe. I have wrecked the CRX in several complex accidents, and it's held up shockingly well, never had any structural damage, despite the fact that the body metal is so thin you can bend it literally by just bouncing the hood with your hand to test the shocks. Also, all eJunk must be optional! Blind spot monitors, backup cameras, navi, infotainment, even electric windows must never be standard equipment! I think manufacturers should be mandated by law to offer bare-bones models-- and if they did, people would buy them and the captive market for eJunk would be destroyed.

I would buy a bare-bones EV sports car with a 300+ mile range, provided it can also manage 0-60 in around 5 seconds or a little less and tops out at 130 with decent acceleration up to 100. But it will never be offered, so I'll probably drive the cars I have until my dirt nap.

We should stop pretending that the auto industry is being compelled to add all this crap because people are crazy about it. Maybe that was true, vaguely, 15 or 20 years ago, but generally, we just buy stuff because it's what's available, it's what's being offered. It's what we are forced to buy. People don't use touch-screen phones and voice recognition because they've been dreaming about it since they were little children, they use eJunk because they have no choice. The market doesn't respond to consumers' needs-- this is fantasy that was only true for a heartbeat in time after the industrial revolution. There's no reason to think the market would behave the same way indefinitely, when the power differential between industry and consumers has changed so dramatically, and now that scarcity of material is a real factor in product development and design. Also, with a mandated 'bare-bones' model, I think carmakers would be forced to rethink the way their cars are designed so that they were more efficient and reliable.

I absolutely do not have a problem with government's boot planted firmly on the throat of industry. That's how my own business operates. It's annoying, and there are some stupid rules I have to find loopholes for in some high-risk situations, and yes, that adds some risk for some patients. But it's WAY safer than the dark days when my profession was completely unregulated.

The only reason I bought the MX5 was because they offered a bare-bones model that didn't have any eJunk except for electric windows, which I despise, even though I have dual rotator cuff syndrome and it hurts to turn the crank. Literally, there was no car on the market that interested me between 1991 and 2016. And indeed, look where we are now, six years later: The most common point of failure for the ND MX5: eJunk. On Miata.net, countless tales of people's dashboards lighting up like Christmas trees, their cars developing bizarre intermittent problems and gremlins that take months to track down-- and it's always some unnecessary system that caused the problem, some digital gimcrack that, thankfully, isn't on the Sport.

Okay, rant off! I should buy a single-malt for anyone who had the patient to read all that!
Sign me up for that single malt 😉!

It is 92 right now. In a couple of hours I will get a giant ice cold fruit smoothie and put some cactus juice in it. It is like a mini tropical vacation.
1653430948966.jpeg

Its been windy and rather chilly here,Haven't even finished the garden yet, the wind would have ruined the plants,I planted some stuff today it wasn't all that warm at least the wind had let up. Have to get caught up on work so I can ride some more.

I just heard about another mass shooting. Does anyone really need a gun that will kill 18 captive lambs per minute. What kind of hunting is that? Sport? Lincoln would be given one bullet to go out in the woods all day and to bring dinner home for his family. This is not that.

I just heard about another mass shooting. Does anyone really need a gun that will kill 18 captive lambs per minute. What kind of hunting is that? Sport? Lincoln would be given one bullet to go out in the woods all day and to bring dinner home for his family. This is not that.
Whenever there's a killing with these silly useless things then there's talk about restricting them which does what? It influences the sale of more which in turn leads to more killings. The USA is the only country where this happens on a regular basis as it's the most heavily armed country in the world. The so called "founding fathers" really screwed up on this one and have totally tied the hands of future generations of Americans to stop the slaughter.

The answer is no! We do not need things like "street sweepers" and fully automatic weapons, some People burn so many rounds it borders on the ridiculous,I always figured if you can't hit something after all that"practice" there is not much hope for you.
Look, the big problem with any gun is the potential for impulse shootings,I have a bad flash point if I can cool it for 30 seconds I am reasonable again( this has saved many bullies from being injured- People are easy to hurt) Our great state Virginia in its infinite wisdom has okayed "concealed carry" in bars, you have got to be kidding right? Thats like putting out a fire with kerosene, so far I haven't heard of any mass killings in a bar, which means nothing.I have a Friend whom through the grace of God I am told had a real mercy in the fact that the gun He was carrying malfunctioned when He was going take care of business( execution style)over a freakin' tattoo gun It was said He left to get another gun( the crazy part about this was He told the People with whom He had Malcontent with "stay till I come back" they stayed! apparently, the law must have stepped in around this time(shiver!) The story ends about here, the problem with my Friend is He has a terrible temper, especially mixed with our old friend alcohol.
Just an example,I believe there is a place for sane gun laws, no matter what Carolyn sez, the discharged round has no conscience. There are other ways to defend one's person and property.
When my friend gets out of Prison I hope He stays away from the "Demon Rum" He has embraced Christianity in a big way, lets hope it sticks.

We know politicians are not going to do ANYTHING to stop this. Best we can do is make it hurt. Whenever there is a gun murder of any kind they should sue the manufacturer of the gun, sue the manufacturer of the ammo used in the gun, and sue the store or individual that sold/supplied the shooter the gun. The law suits will mostly fail but they will also be costly and drive up the price of the stupid useless things maybe to the point that they won't sell or drive the sellers out of business.

25% of men between 16 and 68 go through a period of mental illness. Do we really want mentally ill people with street sweepers? If you put enough hand grenades in a sandbox with tots, one will go off. It is not the tot's fault. It is the ubiquity. The founders were talking about mussel loaders in the contest of the National Guard, "a well regulated militia being necessary."

Last edited:
There are more than enough guns to win the Revolution…on my dead end road. The problem we face (US) is not in our Constitution but in ourselves…the growth of ‘mobocracy’ in the country, and the deliberate stoking of division and fear has lead us here.

There are more than enough guns to win the Revolution…on my dead end road. The problem we face (US) is not in our Constitution but in ourselves…the growth of ‘mobocracy’ in the country, and the deliberate stoking of division and fear has lead us here.
I disagree with the part that our Constitution is not a problem. The 2nd amendment is very much the problem. Every time we try to stop people from having guns they bring up the 2nd. that says it is their right to have them and that stops gun control legislation in its tracks. England,Germany,France,Canada etc. have no 2nd. and they have strict gun laws. What they don't have is mass shootings every few days. I refuse to believe reason for that is because the people in those country's are so much better human beings than Americans.

The Constitution has been mis-interpreted by right-wing activist Judges. A dissenting Justice whose name at present escapes me said about these reactionaries on the Court “Can’t they read English.” There’s the rub.

I disagree with the part that our Constitution is not a problem. The 2nd amendment is very much the problem. Every time we try to stop people from having guns they bring up the 2nd. that says it is their right to have them and that stops gun control legislation in its tracks. England,Germany,France,Canada etc. have no 2nd. and they have strict gun laws. What they don't have is mass shootings every few days. I refuse to believe reason for that is because the people in those country's are so much better human beings than Americans.
I think you are both right. There are those who cynically profit from division and popular interpretations of the amendable second amendment are also a huge problem. To put these two elements together and you get the example of gun marketers. If we instead interpreted the amendable second amendment as applying to single shot muzzle loaders in the context of citizen solders serving well regulated within the National Guard, that would go a long way to the solution. There is no reason for an 18 year-old who's brain has not gelled to have a weapon of mass destruction in public. This is not justifiable.

There is no reason for any ‘individual’ to own a powerful weapon of war. The Police nationwide have had to up their arsenal in response. Cops fear a shootout with these powerful weapons assisted with body armor, another unfortunate addition for those who like to play war in the woods. I could list at least ten names of friends and a father who died by bullet both here and abroad. National stats are hard to come by since the lobbyists have gotten Congress to forbid the ATF from gathering data.
Ethical hunting on my farm is fine. The kid who hunts here starts early with his crossbow, when that fails like last year he moved on to black powder. Rarely does he progress to his rifle. Most farmers need a gun from time to time. I used to keep a shotgun to defend my calves but then got a donkey to do the job.
I’ll shut up and go work on my garden…I’ll note for Gordon that there is no White Widow in it…but plenty of Durban Poison

Back