Class 1 alternative to Vado SL?

Calcoaster

Region
USA
A friend is interested in a Vado sl but is concerned about the liability of riding a class 3 ebike on bike paths in California. The law here states that only class 1 or 2 can be ridden on bike paths.

Can the Vado sl be officially detuned to class 1 standards? Or what other class 1 ebikes are most similar to the vado?

She does ride some steep hills and wants an assisted bike like the Vado sl, with similar geometry and assist characteristics. Any good class 1 recommendations?

The Vado SL is not quite like other class 3 ebikes in that it doesn't really have the power/torque to take most riders to 28 on the flats without really hammering the pedals. It is a very different model from the Vado's with the more powerful motors. Similar to the Creo most people would not recognize a Vado SL as class 3 because of it's modest performance. It just doesn't have an annoying cutoff at 20 mph but it's not going to take you zooming down the MUP any faster than a fit cyclist. I think of it as a class 1 ebike with class 3 software.

For the first time in about 40 or so rides, I just noticed our popular bike path had a sign Class 1 and 2 only. Well, no one stopped my Creo and I doubt anyone would know its ratings. Not sure there's any specific requirement to have papers testifying to the bike's class????? Although, the law is the law.

@Allan47.7339 is correct. It is not powered like most Class 3 bikes. It just does not make the Pac-Man Game Over sound at 20. In other words it does not totally suck. It is a nice bike.

Thanks for the replies. I have a Vado sl myself but my question is about either making it legal to use on bike paths (detuning to class 1) or a different bike that is already class 1 that has a similar feel to the Vado sl. My concern is about liability and possible enforcement of the rules at some point.

The ones they sell in Europe (not sure about Canada) are restricted. But even if it were stepped it down, would authorities recognize such reprogramming or just associate speed/class with some model, number or version.

A friend is interested in a Vado sl but is concerned about the liability of riding a class 3 ebike on bike paths in California. The law here states that only class 1 or 2 can be ridden on bike paths.

Can the Vado sl be officially detuned to class 1 standards? Or what other class 1 ebikes are most similar to the vado?

She does ride some steep hills and wants an assisted bike like the Vado sl, with similar geometry and assist characteristics. Any good class 1 recommendations?
I think it’s more of a matter of if they will check and if the state mandates you carry “proof of class” documentation. Do bikes in the USA even have “class” stickers?
Anyways, here’s a value pack for $9.99 :

Last edited:
I think it’s more of a matter of if they will check and if the state mandates you carry “proof of class” documentation. Do bikes in the USA even have “class” stickers?
I guess I should look over my Creo and see if there's any evidence of its CLASS. I don't think WA State has such a mandate but maybe they do - again, we are all presumed to know the law. I know that none of the papers/manuals I got from the dealer show CLASS. No little certificate like my VAX certificate (g)

As I said above, a trail I've been on dozens of times has a sign limiting to Class 1/2 but I never noticed it until today. It is a fairly small sign located amongst some shrubs as the side of the trail. What's funny is that it is located above 1/4 block from the end of the trail where you would join a roadway and faces that direction. Next time I (illegally) use it I will have to see if there's a sign in the other direction before you really start on the trail.

There's an idea! (g)

Found this at a first run. Seattle is mentioned but the study was 3 years ago. I've heard nothing but have not particularly looked. That old "better to ask forgiveness that permission" or some such!

edited to add:

I guess I'm pretty much violating the law on almost every ride somewhere along the way:

Last edited:
Given how stealthy the bike is and the effort it takes to get and keep it at those speeds, I think the risk is minimal. There is a tiny class 3 sticker at the bottom of the seat tube.
I guess I could grab some mp3 file of VROOM, VROOM and play it on my phone while furiously pedaling on a MUP.

Most of the multiuse trails around my area are also restricted to Class 1 ebikes. Off road trails frequently prohibit ebikes altogether and there is enforcement by rangers in most of those parks. I don't ride where ebikes are specifically prohibited tho I agree with the sentiment that the rider is the most important part of the bicycle/rider combo and non-motorized riders can present the same hazard as an ebiker. I do ride on the class 1 restricted trails with the Vado SL. I've never been questioned even in parks where rangers could/should be able to see my range extender as well as hear the motor whine.

My biggest concern with riding a Class 3 bike on a restricted trail is the possibility of being involved in a serious accident. Regardless of fault, the argument can be made that I shouldn't even be there. So I think the OP's friends liability concerns are very real - particularly when the trails are heavily used and/or include pets/children/strollers/distracted trail users.

I also have a Levo SL which is Class 1. A bit heavier than the Vado but is otherwise road worthy and has lower gearing to boot. Main drawback is that it is quite a bit more expensive (but includes full suspension :))

The ones they sell in Europe (not sure about Canada) are restricted. But even if it were stepped it down, would authorities recognize such reprogramming or just associate speed/class with some model, number or version.
Canadian SLs are restricted.

Anyways, here’s a value pack for $9.99 :

Yes, my Allant+7 does.
And while you’re at it you can buy a COVID vaccination card.🙄

IDK but someone ( maybe @6zfshdb ?) on this forum said he was checked by a ranger, and they just have a database of class 1 and class 2 legal bikes that they just do a lookup on. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a class 1 sticker as well.

No cop is sitting out at bike paths and stopping bicyclists to see if they are riding a Class 3 type bike. Worrying about it is plain silly. That said, REI has just started to sell some very nice Class I bikes for $1999. With REI there is usually a store nearby for service and my own experience with their bike department staff has been excellent.

Given how stealthy the bike is and the effort it takes to get and keep it at those speeds, I think the risk is minimal. There is a tiny class 3 sticker at the bottom of the seat tube.
What model/brand bike?

Is it UNDERNEATH the bike's seat tube? I looked at my Creo yesterday and did not see any sticker but did not look beneath the bike.

What model/brand bike?

Is it UNDERNEATH the bike's seat tube? I looked at my Creo yesterday and did not see any sticker but did not look beneath the bike.
You have to buy your own sticker. There’s a link somewheres in this thread. 🤣

Back