Chicago Lakefront Trail?

Chibbie

Region
USA
Hi all,

In planning for an upcoming trip to Chicago, I came across info about the Lakefront Trail:

Although I’ve been to Chicago many (many) times and am quite familiar with the city in general, I’ve never had occasion to check out the Lakefront Trail. (Last time I was in Chicago was 2019, which was before I got into biking.) From what I’ve read, it sounds pretty amazing: roughly 20 miles of paved (and flat!) trail along the lake, through/near several great neighborhoods, etc. So, I’m considering bringing one of my e-bikes with me, provided that I can fit it in the car (I don’t have a rack) (and yes, I know that I can rent one there, but I’d prefer to ride my own if possible). But I’d be interested in hearing more details from first-hand experiences. For example:

Is it worth riding the entire trail from the starting point in the north to the end in the south (or vice versa)?

Is the trail pretty well maintained for its entire length?

Is the bike lane portion generally super slow/crowded with other bikers? I have no need to be flying at high speeds on the trail, but I’d also want to get some exercise rather than tooting around at 5MPH because of crowds.

Any particular heads-ups that would be good to know? (Safety, best time of day, etc.)

I did already see the relevant post in this thread, BTW: https://forums.electricbikereview.c...cture-where-you-ride.52853/page-6#post-614530. Still would like to hear further experiences and impressions.

Thanks in advance for any info!

After Labor day, the crowds should be down. They are thickest around Grant Park, Thins down north of Navy Pier and south of the museum campus, but this middle section is where the city views compete worth the lake.
I must confess. I haven't done the lakefront trail since before the Covid outbreak. It's too much trouble to drive Downtown with morning/afternoon traffic. I also don't see it as a high speed run. Pedestrians, skaters, etc, appear behind every corner. In those days, I didn't worry about crime, because there were always people around, but I wouldn't ride at sunrise/sunset when it's empty,

motor_cable-2.jpg

After Labor day, the crowds should be down. They are thickest around Grant Park, Thins down north of Navy Pier and south of the museum campus, but this middle section is where the city views compete worth the lake.
I must confess. I haven't done the lakefront trail since before the Covid outbreak. It's too much trouble to drive Downtown with morning/afternoon traffic. I also don't see it as a high speed run. Pedestrians, skaters, etc, appear behind every corner. In those days, I didn't worry about crime, because there were always people around, but I wouldn't ride at sunrise/sunset when it's empty,
Very helpful, thanks! One follow-up question:

From your description, it sounds more like a “cruising” situation at moderate speeds with occasional/frequent slowdowns, depending on what portion of the trail you’re on. Does that sound accurate? Asking because it influences which bike I bring. I.e., if it is more of a cruising situation, then I’d likely bring my (lighter/less powerful/less battery range) upright Dutch-style ebike. Whereas if it was long stretches where you could grind away for several miles uninterrupted, then I’d be more inclined to bring one of my hybrid-style longer battery range/heavier ebikes (not so much for the greater speed, just more for the style of riding and greater battery capacity).

I rode it a few months ago while at a work conference and it was very nice. All sorts of bikes and everyone was respectful. High speed triathletes training and people cruising as slow as possible. Path is wide enough for all and loved that walkers and joggers were separate from bikes. I had a little trouble getting to it across lake shore drive but a gal walking who looked local told me where the closest underground crossing was. Easily the highlight of my Chicago trip was biking around sunset on the lakefront trail (and the cubs game!)

Rode it yesterday. Only 50F and occasional mist. No body out there. It was a nice ride, but I caught a bug after I got home. Runny nose, itchy ear, etc.

FA160633.JPG

Back