Cheap E-Bike Comparisons under 2k for City/Road Commuting

ck1224

I was interested in buying a cheaper E-bike (Eahora, Rattan, Ancheer, Ecotric, etc.) possibly this summer, but I noticed that Rattan and Eahora both went up by 100 dollars in the past week and sales are going up now, so I am wondering if prices will come down or get cheaper either this winter or in a couple of years as the pandemic winds down and people start using cars and other modes of transportation more.

Decent Article on Cheaper E-Bikes: https://www.bikestation.org/best-electric-bikes-under-1000/

Bikes I'm Currently Considering Purchasing:

NCM Moscow Electric Mountain Bike 1,059 500 W motor 624 W battery / 768W battery (1,459) 27.5 or 29 inch wheel size
RadCity 4 1,499 672 W battery, 750 W motor 26 inch
JuicedBikes CrossCurrent S2 1,899 676W battery, 750 W motor 28" tire
Ancheer 480 W battery, 500 W motor 27.5" wheels 899
Ecotric Seagull 1000 W motor, 624 w battery 1,259 26" tires
Eahora 500W battery, 350 W motor $899
Rattan 500W battery, 350 W motor $899
Aventon Pace 500 500 W motor , 568 W battery 1,399
Sondors MXS 1,699 + 97 shipping 750W motor 840 W battery 27.5" tires
Ride1UP Core-5 1,095 500 W motor/battery
500 Series 1,195 500 W motor / 624 W battery

Last edited:
I was interested in buying a cheaper E-bike (Eahora, Rattan, Ancheer or Ecotric) possibly this summer, but I noticed that Rattan and Eahora both went up by 100 dollars in the past week and sales are going up now, so I am wondering if prices will come down or get cheaper either this winter or in a couple of years as the pandemic winds down and people start using cars and other modes of transportation more.
I would have answered differently prior to covid19. I just sold a used bike and got more for it than I would've last summer. I spoke to a Trek dealer owner and he said the bike and ebike business is raging hot. Who knows when it will cool down. You have to add in possible trade issues with China, not only due to the lack of information over the virus, but what they are doing in Hong Kong. If bikes and parts get more scarce, prices will continue to rise.

I don't have a crystal ball. Normally I'd say after Thanksgiving deals can be had. Now you might want to get the bike you want whenever you can afford it. You'll enjoy riding more than waiting. Just don't kick yourself if prices drop.

Good luck!

Prices should come down (a little) when people will start cars and transit again, yes. The question is - when, and how low.

There is no guarantee that epidemic will end this year and there is a strong possibility that it will more-less fade out by August-September, just in time for winter flu season and the 2nd wave of coronavirus. You're looking to buy an already cheap bike, and save possibly $100 compared to today's prices? May or may not happen. If you need it this summer, buy it this summer.

Leaving aside rapid dynamics of Li batteries prices and some electronics, Chinese items tend to become more expensive with time, even before the epidemic. Moving all the manufacturing to one single country was such a bright idea - not.

I would have answered differently prior to covid19. I just sold a used bike and got more for it than I would've last summer. I spoke to a Trek dealer owner and he said the bike and ebike business is raging hot. Who knows when it will cool down. You have to add in possible trade issues with China, not only due to the lack of information over the virus, but what they are doing in Hong Kong. If bikes and parts get more scarce, prices will continue to rise.

I don't have a crystal ball. Normally I'd say after Thanksgiving deals can be had. Now you might want to get the bike you want whenever you can afford it. You'll enjoy riding more than waiting. Just don't kick yourself if prices drop.

Good luck!

Yes, I noticed that someone bought an Eahora XC100 for $699 back in Jan 2020 (100 off) that is now $899 (just went up 100 this past week).
However, Eahora changed the specs on the bike from a 36V to a 48V battery with a 48V motor sometime in the spring, so he might have gotten the 36V version.

I was hoping that E-bikes would eventually get cheaper with better specifications over time. Who knows? Elon M. is hinting at a cheaper model Tesla in the near future (2 to 5 year guess?) (especially targeting Asian/European markets).

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that someone bought an Eahora XC100 for $699 back in Jan 2020 (100 off) that is now $899 (just went up 100 this past week).
However, Eahora changed the specs on the bike from a 36V to a 48V battery with a 48V motor sometime in the spring, so he might have gotten the 36V version.

I was hoping that E-bikes would eventually get cheaper with better specifications over time. Who knows? Elon M. is hinting at a cheaper model Tesla in the near future (2 to 5 year guess?) (especially targeting Asian/European markets).
I really don't know how low prices could actually go. Looking at standard bicycles (non e), a good (not great) commuter/fitness/hybrid will cost $750 to $1500. A cheap one $300 to $500. A crappy kids bike at Walmart will cost you $200. I don't think you'd get the "good" hybrid bike used right now for less than $300. In the 1980's I bought a good, not top of the line, road bike for $750.

If you can get a decent ebike you like for less than a grand, it might be time to buy now.

Good luck.

Back