Charging a Stromer 48V battery while traveling by car

smitty

I have often wondered about the possibility of being able to charge my Stromer ST-2 battery using the 12V system in my car while on the road. Has anyone came across a way to do this efficiently, or is this even possible

I tried this, blew out my interior light and 12v plugs in my Subie, the math doing 12v to 120 at 4amps says it takes too much (I don't remember there is a post somewhere about it). Most home circuits are 15 amp .so only 3 chargers at home per per circuit. I hope someone can expound on this for you. Don't bother even trying the abov suggestion.

120 and 4amp capable, check the manual , maybe a little more than 4 for a surge when powering on.

I tried this, blew out my interior light and 12v plugs in my Subie, the math doing 12v to 120 at 4amps says it takes too much (I don't remember there is a post somewhere about it). Most home circuits are 15 amp .so only 3 chargers at home per per circuit. I hope someone can expound on this for you. Don't bother even trying the abov suggestion.

For sure there is more to this than meets the eye or someone would have simple solution to my query, but thanks for the input; no sense buying an inverter that might not get the job done, along with losing lights in the car etc.

Buy a Mercedes ML350. It has a 120v outlet in the back seat. The inverter from Amazon is probably less expensive... A small generator would also work, along with coffee shops, motel rooms, parks and camp sites.

As I have often remarked, "throw enough money at the problem and it will go away"...no question about stop off points to power up the battery, I have a year to go on my lease, but then I could go with the Mercedes...those electrical engineers at Stromer need to get to work on this problem. It would surely be helpful to charge the battery along the way as we often do with our phones, tablets, computers, etc. while traveling from one location to another...

I purchased a 1000 watt inverter and mounted it on the top of my trunk. It is wired directly to the battery which on my BMW is also in the trunk. I am able to charge both of my bikes while driving down the road.

jeff

Jeff, what charger/bikes/amperage is involved? I just bought Mercedes Metris to carry my bikes inside, I am looking for the proper way to do this. I just broke my ankle yesterday so I have 3-6 weeks to look into this.

Back