Charger 3 Arriving

captivaboy

Region
USA
City
Captiva
Mid December Arrival, any recommendations for updates or add ons for this bike (mirrors, horn,pedals, etc) before taking delivery ?
No GX option, Nyon and 625 battery.

just got mine in same config. i took in addition
MIK compatibile bag
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0721C94CT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

solid Abus U-lock

phone holder

greets.

Congrats. It will be so much fun. I would look at the pedals. Having really good flats with nice rivets makes for a solid foot contact. I got the double shot 3 Crank Brothers on my Moustache Dimanche 5

Add ones will be Crank Bros pedals, Ergon 3 large grips, Abus 540-300. I considered having the dealer install the same key Abus, but the extra charges and mark ups were out of sight priced...

Add ones will be Crank Bros pedals, Ergon 3 large grips, Abus 540-300. I considered having the dealer install the same key Abus, but the extra charges and mark ups were out of sight priced...
I’m very curious about those pedals. What’s the advantage of those if I may ask, apart from obviously gorgeous looking? 😊

Won’t be able to respond until the bike gets delivered, about one week. Dealer stated the pedals as supplied as standard are “basic” and definitely need upgrading.

I’m very curious about those pedals.
Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (composite) or 7 (aluminium) pedals are very flat, lightweight, may come in size Large for large feet, and their pins hold the feet as if shoes were glued to them. You actually need to raise your feet to take them away from the pedals. Additionally, Stamps are slightly concave for better ergonomics. (I assume OP mentions the Crank Brothers Stamp pedals). The Stamps are highly acclaimed in the MTB world. Now I use Stamps on all my e-bikes.

1609531338622.png

I’m very curious about those pedals. What’s the advantage of those if I may ask, apart from obviously gorgeous looking? 😊
They (Flats style) are designed for MTB where one wants a sure footing without cleats (clipless). To get that solid footing there are small pips that rise out of the surface. The result is like inverse cleats-spikes. It is VERY hard to slip off, but more to the point, once you put your foot down it is like strong glue, so each stroke your foot-shoe does not move side to side or back-forth. This is important because you can now make circles with your feet instead only pumping down. You can push forward in the stroke and even pull upward from the bottom, if you tilt your foot.

Even the most basic "flats" style MTB pedals have this type of surface. Crank Brothers just makes higher end ones.

Also note if you read the reviews, people talk about breaking them. That is because they are coming down hard after jumps-airtime, on suspension bikes. So yeah, a 170# guy pounding down after airtime on a metal spindle at a right angle to the crank, sometimes will break. Of course most people on this forum are just riding, so there really is no issue.

Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (composite) or 7 (aluminium) pedals are very flat, lightweight, may come in size Large for large feet, and their pins hold the feet as if shoes were glued to them. You actually need to raise your feet to take them away from the pedals. Additionally, Stamps are slightly concave for better ergonomics. (I assume OP mentions the Crank Brothers Stamp pedals). The Stamps are highly acclaimed in the MTB world. Now I use Stamps on all my e-bikes.
Hi Stefan. I thought you were at one time using RaceFace Ride pedals? I actually bought a pair due to your recommendation! I really like them for the price. I also like that they won’t tear up your shins like metal pins can.

FF49C3CC-69E0-4E86-AB6F-9C08DF0426B7.jpeg

Hi Stefan. I thought you were at one time using RaceFace Ride pedals?
I use RF Ride in the warm season :) The reason for replacing these pedals with Stamps for the winter is my winter-boot soles slip on the otherwise excellent Rides during the cold and wet weather. Bear in mind, my legs are protected by at least three clothing layers in the winter; no danger to hurt calves or shins with the spikes of Stamps. In the warm season, that part of legs is bare and vulnerable, hence RaceFace Rides.

3 1/2 months later, My White Charger 3 Vario HS has arrived. Solid SUV like, smoothe and quiet. I’m impressed, now to really getting acquainted with her.

3 1/2 months later, My White Charger 3 Vario HS has arrived. Solid SUV like, smoothe and quiet. I’m impressed, now to really getting acquainted with her.
Hi,
I also want to buy the Charger 3.
Can you tell me if you like the vario hub. How is the peddling cadance when biking higher speeds (>22mph). I hope to read your reply. Thx.

I've always liked the thicker flat top magnesium MG-1 pedals that Wellgo makes. They are not concave, but you also do not feel the center piece bulging up. Wellgo sells another pedal called the MG-5 that is light and wide etc. but I dislike them because I feel the center part through my shoe. It's nice that many of their pedals come in different color options. I was able to get red and match my mountain bike :D

wellgo-mg5-vs-mg1.pngspecialized-stumpjumper-with-wellgo-magnesium-pedals.jpgwellgo-mg-2-red-pedals.jpg
ps. I usually store my bike upside down like this so the tires stay inflated longer. I run tubeless, and I found that even with non-electric bikes, I had this issue where the tires would go flat after a while of just sitting there with the bike weight pushing down on them.

I've always liked the thicker flat top magnesium MG-1 pedals that Wellgo makes. They are not concave, but you also do not feel the center piece bulging up. Wellgo sells another pedal called the MG-5 that is light and wide etc. but I dislike them because I feel the center part through my shoe. It's nice that many of their pedals come in different color options. I was able to get red and match my mountain bike :D

View attachment 78659View attachment 78660View attachment 78661
ps. I usually store my bike upside down like this so the tires stay inflated longer. I run tubeless, and I found that even with non-electric bikes, I had this issue where the tires would go flat after a while of just sitting there with the bike weight pushing down on them.
Somebody yesterday or day before reported Magura brake problems they had from having the bike upside down for a while. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? His claim was air bubbles from the brake reservoirs traveled up the tubes and could cause brake failure. ??? 🤔

So, one month experience now. I love the Vario, smoothe and easy to use. Top speed in Turbomode 27mph, solid as a rock.
My normal cadence in tour mode, 19-22 mph, without issues. Wind is not a factor anymore, in SW Florida.
The gearing range is fine, I have no questions or problems with this bike and set up. I am glad I did not go with the fully suspended R&M models, sounds like lots of problems.

So, one month experience now. I love the Vario, smoothe and easy to use. Top speed in Turbomode 27mph, solid as a rock.
My normal cadence in tour mode, 19-22 mph, without issues. Wind is not a factor anymore, in SW Florida.
The gearing range is fine, I have no questions or problems with this bike and set up. I am glad I did not go with the fully suspended R&M models, sounds like lots of problems.
Thank you

Back