Changing Pressure on Fat Tire Bikes With Slime

Re: checking tire pressure with Slime, I find I can go MONTHS without loosing any pressure. Granted, it took me a while to figure that out, so I'm sure my pressure gauge ingested some Slime, but it appears to still be working just fine.

If I did find I was loosing pressure due to a really slow leak (pressure drop within a week say), I would assume I hadn't installed enough Slime, and would add another couple ounces.

Now, I check pressure only when the weather gets cold. Do the same on car tires - if they don't already have a "check tires" warning light already on. -Al

Re: checking tire pressure with Slime, I find I can go MONTHS without loosing any pressure. Granted, it took me a while to figure that out, so I'm sure my pressure gauge ingested some Slime, but it appears to still be working just fine.

If I did find I was loosing pressure due to a really slow leak (pressure drop within a week say), I would assume I hadn't installed enough Slime, and would add another couple ounces.

Now, I check pressure only when the weather gets cold. Do the same on car tires - if they don't already have a "check tires" warning light already on. -Al
One is a messy, somewhat annoying, yet less expensive solution... the other is a neat, install and forget about it, though a bit more expensive solution.
Both seem to be working equally for me so I'm starting to lean more towards the latter

What kind of problem do you have? I've used Slime for years and I honestly don't know what the trouble could be.

TT
Really... You've never had some squirt back out changing or checking tire pressure?
Even following the proper steps to do so, I did have it fail a valve one time. Easily changed but still had to even after removing and cleaning it well in warm water.
It does work... It's just messy and there are neater solutions.

Used Slime and went over 4 years without a puncture. Never had an issue with it coming back out the valve. Sounds like too much has been put in tbh.... I swear by the stuff.

Used Slime and went over 4 years without a puncture. Never had an issue with it coming back out the valve. Sounds like too much has been put in tbh.... I swear by the stuff.
Are you saying that you have never had some come back out? Or that it never failed a valve?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure I can read and used the proper amount.
Are you saying that you have never had some come back out? Or that it never failed a valve?

No, it never happened to me..It didn't even make a mess...

I can say without hesitation, that I've NEVER had ANY kind of failure attributable to the use of Slime. No valves, and no filling or pressure testing equipment. Nothing....

Even if I had, it would be a cheap price to pay for the flat protection provided, and good riddance to weekly air pressure checks!

I do see Slime when checking and filling (I tend to over fill a bit). But never anything a quick swipe with a paper towel won't take care of. A total non-event. -Al

The valve fail may have been a one_off coincidence so not an issue.
But thorn strips are working just as well for me and with no mess or quick swipes ever.
Slime is a solution that does work, just not an elegant one.

and yes I removed the valve during installation.

Really... You've never had some squirt back out changing or checking tire pressure?
Even following the proper steps to do so, I did have it fail a valve one time. Easily changed but still had to even after removing and cleaning it well in warm water.
It does work... It's just messy and there are neater solutions.
No, I have never had any squirt out. Maybe I've seen a tiny bit of green in the valve after checking pressure, none in or on the gauge. Never enough to even wipe off, and usually nothing at all.

TT

Which is strange given you're the odd one out in this thread... Maybe its me... But more likely you. :D
Actually everyone says that a little comes out especially if you don't spin the wheel quickly and stop it around +/- 3 oclock. That was the whole point of this thread. The consensus is that it's manageable as long as you follow procedure. As mentioned before a shot of air from a compressor also helps to clear it out before measuring.
But end of the day a little definitely comes out and you're more than welcome to accept it with a smile of denial.
Thorn strips work just as well for me if not better and that's all I have to say about that.

edit: Something occurred to me in why we might be having different experiences. The subject line is asking for fat tire bikes which mine is not.
So you're operating at twice the air volume and less than half my tire pressure. I would think that makes a bit of difference.
My bad for missing the details.

Down side to just thorn strips is they don't seal the tube up well enough to eliminate frequent tire pressure checks.

Down side to just thorn strips is they don't seal the tube up well enough to eliminate frequent tire pressure checks.
True that...
Though since switching to Continental tubes its been much less of an issue.
One reason my view may be tainted is that I used it with new tires in which I changed tire size as well. At which point I was experimenting with different pressures and was adjusting every few days searching for that sweet spot. I soon began to think it may have been better to add the slime after my pressure was decided on as checking with was annoying.
But even still going forward its hard for me to judge pressure with a squeeze of the sidewall anymore due to daily variations of carpal tunnel and arthritis. And since I'm currently using only a few pounds above minimum pressure I like to check every 2-3 weeks.

And for those above.. from the Slime website (Frequently(keyword) Asked Questions page....
I installed Slime sealant and it clogged my valve. What should I do?
If your tire’s valve stem becomes clogged, use a wet rag to wipe the area around the valve. Next, remove the valve core and use a wet cotton swab to wipe the inside of the valve and the O-rings on the valve core. Re-insert the valve core and inflate the tire. If the valve is still clogged, consult your tire care professional.

As mentioned before I have a digital gauge.. and on tires without slime I agree I can check both quickly and without potential mess.

I just read a thread where a couple people were swearing blind that no slime ever came through the valve. Like none, ever!
If you read the entire forum you’d know that also. Was only trying to be helpful, sorry. Keep your knickers on sweetheart. 🤯
You're probably taking things a little too personal... and I roll commando so.. sans knickers 😅 😅
Have you ever used Slime?
It can be that with fat tires and low pressure it's less likely to.
But with average tires at higher pressures anyone saying that none ever comes out ever is full of it.
Think about it logically... Slime is made to flow through small holes of escaping air... How does it know not to go through a valve?

You're probably taking things a little too personal... and I roll commando so.. sans knickers 😅 😅
Have you ever used Slime?
It can be that with fat tires and low pressure it's less likely to.
But with average tires at higher pressures anyone saying that none ever comes out ever is full of it.
Think about it logically... Slime is made to flow through small holes of escaping air... How does it know not to go through a valve?
I’ve never used slime. I only used tyre liners instead because I saw them on YT first. If I’d seen slime vids first I’d probably be using it too. I’d have to agree it sounds like a bit of a whopper to say none comes through and they’ve never had any show when checking valves or whatever. That’s just my thoughts though. Stranger things have happened.

Back