Changing percentage of power within the power assist levels

wings02

I hope I said that right. I know some ebikes allow you to actually program the amount of assist in each power assist level. For instance, My wife is getting her step-thru within the month and she's a little nervous riding an ebike for the first time. I would like to be able to lower the amount of motor assist in PAS level 1 so the bike won't jerk too much when she starts to pedal when staring off. If level one provides 20% power, can you go into the program settings and lower that? Thanks!

I don't believe there is a setting for each individual PAS level, but there are settings for something like overall 'strength of PAS' and how many rotations it takes to engage. I haven't modified either, so I can't speak to how those changes work.

@wings02 that is close to something I recently asked a support person at Lectric Ebikes . . . .

Is there any way to adjust the amount of assist given at the different PAS levels? 0 and 5 are fine where they are, but it would be SUPER if there were at least one or two levels in between at a couple of points. Specifically, I'm looking for something like this:

PAS # . . Assist (relative to stock values)
-------------------------------------------------
0 . . . . 0.0
1 . . . . 0.7
2 . . . . 1.3
3 . . . . 2.0
4 . . . . 3.5
5 . . . . 5.0

Unfortunately, the answer I got back wasn't what I had hoped for:

"We don't have the ability to adjust the speed of each level individually. However, if you adjust the speed setting (P08) in your settings, it will proportionally adjust the speed of each level of pedal assist. For example, if you adjust P08 from 32 to 45 (class 3), each level of PAS would slightly increase in speed as well."

There is a implication though in that answer and the P08 range (expressed in max km/h) that you could program the bike to be a "class 2.5" for example by selecting a P08 value of around 38 or 39. Assuming that would work, you would get a top speed of about 24mph (instead of 28mph) and a corresponding shift in each PAS level.

A better option though could be to adjust P11 (PAS Sensitivity) and/or P12 (PAS Strength). With some luck, there should be a combination of those three that works well for your wife. In theory, you can test them all on your XP as the controllers should be the same. Should be.

I really wish there were a way to adjust each of these things at each PAS level. There are times when I want exercise and there are times when I want to cruise comfortably and there are times when I want "Full throttle! Damn the antimatter core!" And being able to fine-tune the different settings would get me that. I think.

Good luck!
Ken

Do you find that the bike lurches when the motor engages in PAS 1
Yes and that's partly why I would like something closer to a "PAS 0.7" option. I don't mind the "lurching" in general, but there are times when I'm trying to "thread the needle" at low speed in tight spaces, and have to go with PAS 0, because PAS 1 is likely to "kick" just at the wrong moment and plant me in the middle of a thorn bush before I can react.

(FYI, the "PAS 0.7" is in reference to an earlier reply I posted that is not yet visible / awaiting moderation. I joined only yesterday and cannot be trusted yet. 😅 )

I'll vouch for you peeudoKen. Welcome to the forum. How do you like your Lectric? Step-thru or regular?

Yes and that's partly why I would like something closer to a "PAS 0.7" option. I don't mind the "lurching" in general, but there are times when I'm trying to "thread the needle" at low speed in tight spaces, and have to go with PAS 0, because PAS 1 is likely to "kick" just at the wrong moment and plant me in the middle of a thorn bush before I can react.

(FYI, the "PAS 0.7" is in reference to an earlier reply I posted that is not yet visible / awaiting moderation. I joined only yesterday and cannot be trusted yet. 😅 )
Changing the freewheel to a 34 tooth for this issue helps ...

I like my regular XP a lot! Have only had it for a little over a week now.
  • ++ Meets or exceeds my expectations in nearly every way.
  • -- Shipping (minor damage) and "arrives ready to ride" (not quite, esp. with having to correct for shipping damage) are the main things below my expectations.
I have some upgrades and minor mods in mind, but plan to spend more time with the stock configuration first. I'm already rethinking things a bit, mostly in areas where the bike exceeded my expectations (e.g., battery/distance, handling, possibly gearing for the very-flat Houston terrain). I had gone on a few rides and was seriously wanting to get a different freewheel and/or front chainring because I could not pedal fast enough at PAS > 3 to be contributing anything. Turns out that the derailleur guard was bent during shipping and I was never getting above 5th gear. When I first got it, I didn't notice the derailleur guard issue on initial inspection. I think it was in 1st gear though, so of course the clearance was fine, and the bend wasn't obvious enough for my untrained eye. Or maybe it was the distraction from the anticipation of my first ride. 🙄

How are you liking your Lectric XP? I'm guessing well enough since your wife is getting an XP step-through.

I haven't tweaked P11 or P12 yet but will likely play with that over the weekend. 😁

Changing the freewheel to a 34 tooth for this issue helps ...
Good to know! My first reply still isn't visible here, so your point helps add to my justification for a 11-34T upgrade. 🤥 😇

Oh! Maybe you were talking about the low-speed gearing concern. 🤭

For threading the needle, I find it best to use the throttle. You can go very slow with throttle only. Or, hold the brakes very slightly while pedaling to disable the electrics while pedaling.

For threading the needle, I find it best to use the throttle. You can go very slow with throttle only. Or, hold the brakes very slightly while pedaling to disable the electrics while pedaling.
If you've ever ridden a higher end eBike with a sine wave controller (vs the old tech square wave controller on the Lectric)...you would not feel any "kick". It would be as smooth as glass. More and more eBikes are going that route. Its safer, easier on the rider and easier on the motor. Sine wave controlled motors last quite a bit longer. Its sort of like comparing a car with a standard transmission with a driver who isn't very good with handling a clutch... vs a car with an automatic transmission. Its night and day frankly, but you get what you pay for.

Good to know! My first reply still isn't visible here, so your point helps add to my justification for a 11-34T upgrade. 🤥 😇

Oh! Maybe you were talking about the low-speed gearing concern. 🤭
An 11-34 freewheel is a major improvement on this bike and a simple change. You don't need to change the derailleur or the chain. Just install and adjust. It's much better for high speeds and lower..

A better option though could be to adjust P11 (PAS Sensitivity) and/or P12 (PAS Strength). With some luck, there should be a combination of those three that works well for your wife. In theory, you can test them all on your XP as the controllers should be the same. Should be.
I tested these and notice ZERO difference in any behavior. It's my single disappointment with the bike after 200 miles.

I guess the simple answer would be when going from a dead stop, use the throttle to start instead of pedaling first. Does anyone do that?

Yes, sometimes. Especially when pulling away from a red light if I'm driving in a regular traffic lane. That way I can leave it in a higher gear and also don't have that delay when starting to pedal. So far, I'm easily keeping up with the car in front of me until well after the intersection.

Yes, sometimes. Especially when pulling away from a red light if I'm driving in a regular traffic lane. That way I can leave it in a higher gear and also don't have that delay when starting to pedal. So far, I'm easily keeping up with the car in front of me until well after the intersection.
I have mine set up so the pas starts after half a revolution and I never use the throttle. Not sure maybe the newer Lectric's are locked for this setting now...

Yeah, I keep mine at stock settings for PAS and once in awhile instead of pedaling to start out, I will use PAS 1 and give the throttle a tiny turn just to get me going. Other than that, I rarely use the throttle and my PAS is usually at 3 unless I am tired going uphill and then I will use PAS 5. I rarely use PAS zero...

Back