Smart Control -

Johnnie Flume

Region
USA
When I use Smart Control - Distance on my Turbo Creo, Mission Control determines how much assist to provide automatically. I assume that the level of assist varies during the ride, but I don’t get any feedback to confirm this. It seems that the Assist level would increase when I apply more power to the pedals, as though the motor automatically shifts to Turbo on hills and then drops back to Eco on flat ground. Or maybe the assist level rises to 90% on steep sections and reduces to 20% on level surfaces. My experience on the road does not match these expectations. Thankfully, the assist provided in Smart Control - Distance mode meets my needs. But I don’t get the sense that the power level is going up or down as riding conditions change. It’s certainly very noticeable when using manual mode - Turbo feels and sounds significantly different from Eco or Sport. It would be nice if the assist level in Smart Mode was displayed so I could see how much assist Smart Control has deemed appropriate. Then I could override it if I need more assist or want to conserve battery. The first screenshot below shows my Zones for a Smart ride. Telling me that I was in Smart Mode for 100% of the time has no value. I’d like to know what assist level was applied, either by Zone or by %, like I see when I ride in Manual mode - see second screen shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3418.png
    IMG_3418.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3419.png
    IMG_3419.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 112
When I use Smart Control - Distance on my Turbo Creo, Mission Control determines how much assist to provide automatically. I assume that the level of assist varies during the ride, but I don’t get any feedback to confirm this. It seems that the Assist level would increase when I apply more power to the pedals, as though the motor automatically shifts to Turbo on hills and then drops back to Eco on flat ground. Or maybe the assist level rises to 90% on steep sections and reduces to 20% on level surfaces. My experience on the road does not match these expectations. Thankfully, the assist provided in Smart Control - Distance mode meets my needs. But I don’t get the sense that the power level is going up or down as riding conditions change. It’s certainly very noticeable when using manual mode - Turbo feels and sounds significantly different from Eco or Sport. It would be nice if the assist level in Smart Mode was displayed so I could see how much assist Smart Control has deemed appropriate. Then I could override it if I need more assist or want to conserve battery. The first screenshot below shows my Zones for a Smart ride. Telling me that I was in Smart Mode for 100% of the time has no value. I’d like to know what assist level was applied, either by Zone or by %, like I see when I ride in Manual mode - see second screen shot.
Your observations are correct Johnnie.

The primary function of the Smart Control - Distance, that is, ensuring you would achieve your distance/elevation goal with a given percent of the battery charge left works like a charm. Let me describe the logic there:
  • For the first miles of your ride, Smart Control is trying to determine the current Range Trend. If you are gaining range with the initial Smart Control guess then the assistance is increased. Whenever the Range Trend becomes negative, the assistance is decreased. You could ride with Smart Control on at a constant assistance for long long miles if the Range Trend appears to be constant;
  • Smart Control distance does not increase the assistance uphill. If you need a Turbo burst, press the + (or the next assistance mode) on the remote/TCU and you will get the Turbo assistance for 30 seconds;
  • In case you press the minus on the remote (may not work on Creo TCU), the assistance goes off; clicking the plus restores the Smart Control where it was left;
  • In case you press the pedals harder (or spin the cranks), the motor power is temporarily increased. However, Range Trend becomes negative, so the assistance is corrected by Smart Control to be lower for a longer distance (until the Range Trend stabilizes).
Smart Control can do miracles in case you are unsure whether you can make your goal with given battery charge. However, Smart Control deprives you a lot of your own control regarding the assistance.

I use Smart Control for emergency rides. For instance, I suddenly decided to ride for a fairly long distance against stiff headwind having only one fully charged battery in my arsenal (it was a Vado). Using Smart Control was the only reasonable way to return home with assistance. On normal rides, I plan the battery usage and control the assistance manually.

The new Mastermind has given riders two new tools: Range Trend display, and MicroTune (micro adjustment of assistance as you ride). The two tools allow the rider perfectly control the assistance (probably no Mastermind on your Creo).

Your observations are correct Johnnie.

The primary function of the Smart Control - Distance, that is, ensuring you would achieve your distance/elevation goal with a given percent of the battery charge left works like a charm. Let me describe the logic there:
  • For the first miles of your ride, Smart Control is trying to determine the current Range Trend. If you are gaining range with the initial Smart Control guess then the assistance is increased. Whenever the Range Trend becomes negative, the assistance is decreased. You could ride with Smart Control on at a constant assistance for long long miles if the Range Trend appears to be constant;
  • Smart Control distance does not increase the assistance uphill. If you need a Turbo burst, press the + (or the next assistance mode) on the remote/TCU and you will get the Turbo assistance for 30 seconds;
  • In case you press the minus on the remote (may not work on Creo TCU), the assistance goes off; clicking the plus restores the Smart Control where it was left;
  • In case you press the pedals harder (or spin the cranks), the motor power is temporarily increased. However, Range Trend becomes negative, so the assistance is corrected by Smart Control to be lower for a longer distance (until the Range Trend stabilizes).
Smart Control can do miracles in case you are unsure whether you can make your goal with given battery charge. However, Smart Control deprives you a lot of your own control regarding the assistance.

I use Smart Control for emergency rides. For instance, I suddenly decided to ride for a fairly long distance against stiff headwind having only one fully charged battery in my arsenal (it was a Vado). Using Smart Control was the only reasonable way to return home with assistance. On normal rides, I plan the battery usage and control the assistance manually.

The new Mastermind has given riders two new tools: Range Trend display, and MicroTune (micro adjustment of assistance as you ride). The two tools allow the rider perfectly control the assistance (probably no Mastermind on your Creo).
Thanks Stefan. For the past year, I’ve been using Manual Mode, and it occurred to me that Mission Control could make the same decisions that I make by using data from the Power values: deliver more power when my effort level is high, and less when it’s not. As the Watts I’m expending increase, the Assist should increase to compensate. I don’t think there’s an e-Bike Mode to perform that function yet, but it should not be very difficult for Specialized to develop one. Distance and Time modes are helpful for battery management, but I’m looking for something that will automatically deliver Assist in response to riding conditions. For example, I work harder when pedaling into a headwind - Mission Control should recognize that and give me a little help.

As the Watts I’m expending increase, the Assist should increase to compensate. I don’t think there’s an e-Bike Mode to perform that function yet, but it should not be very difficult for Specialized to develop one.
Johnnie,
You have that feature in your Creo exactly today without any Smart Control! The mid-drive assistance in its nature is exactly working as you are asking for! You pedal more lightly then then the motor gives you less assistance. Pedal harder and you are getting more assistance! You might have not noticed that as the outcome of your increased effort and the more assistance (it is variable) is your higher speed! (If you want to work lighter, just downshift but maintain the same cadence as before).

You also might use a Heart Rate Monitor, pair it with your Creo and use Smart Control - Heart Rate. You set the initial assistance and the heart rate threshold. When your HR goes above the threshold, you will get more assistance to keep your HR (or your effort) constant. It gives you even more variable assistance than the mid-motor principle itself!

Mine used to work, as discussed, as well as my wife's Como, used to work. The both bikes seem crippled when using Smart Control. Odd thing is the LBS manager tried it on a few bikes on the sales floor, has the same result, minimal involved assistance, semi-crippled. The other thing is the Como did not have any firmware updates and behaved this way once last week. We then both got firmware updates and both bikes acted lethargic in Smart Mode. I've tried reset, remove, re-add, nothing makes Smart 'Smart' again, like it used to. If anyone can share their real world experience as well as version of firmware, it might help troubleshoot (for me, my wife, possibly others?)....and if you are using Apple iPhone or Android. There has to be a common denominator being missed.

As a followup, the LBS manage wrote back to me this morning:
"I reached out to my BDM (brand development manager) who has the new globe, and he is having the same experience. He was in the store, and we set his bike up with the same issue. No matter how we adjust the distance and elevation it still states 10%. He believes it is an app issue and I am waiting to hear back".

Back