Vado SL EQ 5.0 Assist Cuts Out

Hekkubus

Region
USA
Towards the end of August, my assist started cutting off during rides. The computer stays on, but assist drops to the no assist level on the computer. It even beeps to indicate it has dropped out. Several trips to the LBS, and they're still working on the problem. A specialized rep was in town, and he thought it was the sensor on the back wheel. They cleaned it off and thought the problem was solved, but when I got it back and took the first ride, it cut assist off seven times in that one ride, twice while the bike was sitting still!

The LBS is back on the case again, so while I wait, I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem.

Towards the end of August, my assist started cutting off during rides. The computer stays on, but assist drops to the no assist level on the computer. It even beeps to indicate it has dropped out. Several trips to the LBS, and they're still working on the problem. A specialized rep was in town, and he thought it was the sensor on the back wheel. They cleaned it off and thought the problem was solved, but when I got it back and took the first ride, it cut assist off seven times in that one ride, twice while the bike was sitting still!

The LBS is back on the case again, so while I wait, I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem.
Did you manage to get this resolved in the end?
I just got my vado sl 5.0 went out for my first ride yesterday and the assist cut off and went to no assist around 3 time's, took it out again today thinking maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, but again it cut out once this time but it's only doing it on hill's for me seems fine on the flat.

Did you manage to get this resolved in the end?
I just got my vado sl 5.0 went out for my first ride yesterday and the assist cut off and went to no assist around 3 time's, took it out again today thinking maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, but again it cut out once this time but it's only doing it on hill's for me seems fine on the flat.
(Edited) Yes. One thing that we did was replace the range extender cable. The original had a slight cut. The bike still cut out, so my LBS and I) began trying rides without the range extender. It worked for several rides, but after about three, it cut out again. However, with the last app update, it cut down to eco from sport one time, and it hasn't done it again.

With all of that said, I have since ridden once with the Range Extender back on, and it did not cut out. If you haven't updated to the newest app version, I'd recommend that. I'd also recommend that you call or take it to the LBS or a specialized dealer to make them aware of the issue. Hopefully, if it is happening enough, specialized might start looking at the issue.

Last edited:
Yes and no. One thing that we did was replace the range extender cable. The original had a slight cut. The bike still cut out, so we (my LBS and I) began trying rides without the range extender. It worked for several rides, but after about three, it cut out again. However, with the last app update, it cut down to eco from sport one time, and it hasn't done it again.

With all of that said, I have since ridden once with the Range Extender back on, and it did not cut out. If you have t updated to the newest app version, I'd recommend that. I'd also recommend that you take it to the LBS or a specialized dealer to make them aware of the issue. Hopefully, if it is happening enough, specialized might start looking at the issue.
Is the latest app the black specialized one? I've been using the red mission control one, hopefully that may help my issue I will try it out tomorrow.
Ive not got the range extender myself but glad you seem to be not having as many issues now,
Thanks for your quick response, was feeling pretty frustrated about it as other than that I'm loving the bike

Yes, it's v1.10.0 build 980 on my app, and the app is black now. They changed the whole layout, and from what I can tell, you cannot setup a heart rate sensor through the app. You have to do it manually on the bike by holding down + and -. However, after that update, my Vado hasn't had any issues. I hope that trend continues.

Yes, it's v1.10.0 build 980 on my app, and the app is black now. They changed the whole layout, and from what I can tell, you cannot setup a heart rate sensor through the app. You have to do it manually on the bike by holding down + and -. However, after that update, my Vado hasn't had any issues. I hope that trend continues.
Thanks, you have given me hope it may fix my issue and save me alot of hassle.
Appreciate your help

Thanks, you have given me hope it may fix my issue and save me alot of hassle.
Appreciate your help
Let me know how it goes! Like I said, I'm not 100% sure it won't pop back up, but my LBS has spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the issue, and they still haven't nailed it down (if the app update wasn't ultimately the fix). They even had a specialized rep in town for a cycling event who looked at it, and the fix he prescribed didn't really solve the issue. So at least it isn't something that you aren't doing correctly.

Let me know how it goes! Like I said, I'm not 100% sure it won't pop back up, but my LBS has spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the issue, and they still haven't nailed it down (if the app update wasn't ultimately the fix). They even had a specialized rep in town for a cycling event who looked at it, and the fix he prescribed didn't really solve the issue. So at least it isn't something that you aren't doing correctly.
So I went out this morning for almost 2 hours, cycled up 5 hills tried out the assist on each one and no problems at all now worked perfectly, so must have definitely been the app.
Thanks again, huge relief for me
Happy new year

So I went out this morning for almost 2 hours, cycled up 5 hills tried out the assist on each one and no problems at all now worked perfectly, so must have definitely been the app.
Thanks again, huge relief for me
Happy new year
How have the rides been going since the app update? So far mine has continued to function properly since the new app update. I've ridden with the range extender, which we initially thought could be the problem. Looks like Specialized had some kind of bug with the old version of the app.

How have the rides been going since the app update? So far mine has continued to function properly since the new app update. I've ridden with the range extender, which we initially thought could be the problem. Looks like Specialized had some kind of bug with the old version of the app.
I've only done 2 rides since because of weather being so cold but both the bike functioned perfectly, hoping to get out again later today.
Yeah definitely seems like it was some kind of bug with the mission control app though

I've only done 2 rides since because of weather being so cold but both the bike functioned perfectly, hoping to get out again later today.
Yeah definitely seems like it was some kind of bug with the mission control app though
Glad it seems to be remedied! It's crazy, but I'm glad it may be fixed. Mine worked fine until about August. Then every ride with would do it randomly with no discernible pattern. Sometimes while going up hills. Sometimes while off the bike just standing there.

Glad it seems to be remedied! It's crazy, but I'm glad it may be fixed. Mine worked fine until about August. Then every ride with would do it randomly with no discernible pattern. Sometimes while going up hills. Sometimes while off the bike just standing there.
I did another ride this afternoon glad to report no problems with the power settings again, only issue I had was my ride didn't seem to save on the app when I finished it but no big deal

Wow. This blows my mind because I have had exactly the same problem with my Creo since Aug. 2023. I do use the Mission Control app so who knows, maybe if I switch to the new app it will fix it. However, I swear the cut out still occurred when I rode with my phone completely turned off. However, the problem did not occur when I used a non-Mastermind control unit (a TCU) from a different bike that I never was able to connect to my phone at all. I’m going to try it tomorrow and will report back.

Last edited:
Wow. This blows my mind because I have had exactly the same problem with my Creo since Aug. 2023. I do use the Mission Control app so who knows, maybe if I switch to the new app it will fix it. However, I swear the cut out still occurred when I rode with my phone completely turned off. However, the problem did not occur when I used a non-Mastermind control unit (a TCU) from a different bike that I never was able to connect to my phone at all. I’m going to try it tomorrow and will report back.
August seems to be the problem month. It's about when my problems began, too. Started on a hill climb, but after that there didn't really seem to be a discernible pattern.

Last edited:
I just rode for around an hour with the new Specialized app and had zero spontaneous assist cutouts. I need to test a few more times before I breathe a sigh of relief, but I think my problem might be solved.

Hekkubus, I would like to buy you a beverage of your choice and raise a toast to you for posting here. I might have gone another 5 months and 20 long trips back and forth to the bike shop if not for your advice. This forum is a real Godsend for solving problems of this kind, too!

I just rode for around an hour with the new Specialized app and had zero spontaneous assist cutouts. I need to test a few more times before I breathe a sigh of relief, but I think my problem might be solved.

Hekkubus, I would like to buy you a beverage of your choice and raise a toast to you for posting here. I might have gone another 5 months and 20 long trips back and forth to the bike shop if not for your advice. This forum is a real Godsend for solving problems of this kind, too!
Where do you ride? If I'm ever riding in your area, I'll swing by and get that drink! LOL. I really appreciate your shout out! I'm just glad we got it figured out. The issue was about a five month ordeal that had the LBS and myself going out of our minds during the fall riding season.

Last edited:
Back