Changing handlebars on an e-bike

RickS

I am not a mechanically inclined person. I'm looking at a couple e-bikes, but the ones I like have very narrow handlebars. I would like to get either mountain bike bars or something wider. How difficult is it to take all of the equipment on the existing bar off and put them on a new one? Specifically, how hard is it to put a hand throttle shifter on instead of thumb throttle?

Not difficult, you will need a split grip to accommodate a twist throttle, or you could opt for a whole grip twist throttle

usually it only means taking the old bar off the looseing ll the parts and sliding them onto the new bar. cant say on the throttle.

Swapping out handlebars is fairly easy, as long as your cables are long enough. Swapping out a thumb shifter for a twist grip shifter is more difficult, and if possible I'd leave that modification to your local bike shop mechanic, since you've stated that you're not mechanically inclined.
Last year I swapped out the mountain bike handlebar on my Pedego RidgeRider with a more swept-back handlebar and I couldn't be happier. No more sore wrists. 👍

Just a warning for taking your bike to the bike shop. In my experience, they almost always use WD40 to take off the grips, instead of compressed air.

Find a better shop. 😂

I used compressed air, but sometimes that is not enough. The appropriate lubricant to use is IPA.

I just sent back a set of bars. Nice gentle rise but the sweep was to radical. I considered installing them so the existing wires and cables would fit by simply using a hack saw to shorten the length of the bars. Then I pondered how important the modification really was and how much I actually did not want to spend an hour on the project. Flat bars rule :)

Find a better shop. 😂

I used compressed air, but sometimes that is not enough. The appropriate lubricant to use is IPA.

You can also use Clean Streak by White Lightning. It evaporates completely after a little bit. Good for putting them on as well.

Back