Change shifter or throttle on new conversion?

prof_fate

I have an early 90s schwinn MTB with gripshift on it. I like it (might be in the minority on that).

I orderd a rear hub motor kit, only option was twist throttle. Obviously can't do that.

So my options are thumb throttle, and there are several types - what is comfy and what fits around the gripshift?

OR change the gear shift to ? Perhaps shimano tourney? and keep the twist throttle.

Pros and cons?

Main use of bike will be commuter, probably on throttle rather than PAS. Lots of hills here so not sure if I"ll pedal/shift or just go along for the ride (1000w motor)

I find the thumb throttle easier on my wrists - that's me though. It's not used very often on each ride. Mostly to get the bike moving from a stop and when a short burst helps top a short hill or similar situation.

It will fit on the handlebar inside/next to the grip shift, or next to a trigger shift.

If you're like most of us, battery life will be a priority, and you'll be pedaling for sure....

I've no clue on real range - from specs the 20ah batt should give me 30 miles at 30mph...or so I read in books/articles/blogs.

My commute is 4.2 miles each way, level for a short distance then down hill (short and steep). then about 3 miles of pretty flat/rolling terrain, only one short hill to be bothered with.
Then the last mile is all up hill...and of course all down on the way home.

PAS should, from what I've read, allow me more range and not to sweat. And my MTB is geared for hills/offroad - I don't know what the new cassette gears will be (i changed mine to give me over 1:1 on the small chainring) - it's way slower top speed than my ancient '10 speed' (27"...thought about converiting it) but hub motor's don't use the gears, don't come in 27 x 1.25.

Back