Chain ring tooth selection

My Vado 4.0 has the Shimano CS-M7000-11 cassette i.e. 11-speed 11-42 (11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-42) and 47-622 tyres.

And it doesn't require quite a spinning in the cogs 17-15-13 to get up to 27-28 km/h. I do not use the cog 11 often, even with the 40T chainring. So my concern is that even 46T is too much. That's another reason why I haven't changed to the 46T yet.

Riding in the flat area (I think this is yours) you might do alright with more than 44T even on a Vado 4.0. Things change when you get into hilly landscape, during a holiday elsewhere possibly.

So I'm coming from a practical point of view but your calculation sheets add something to consider as well.

Does anyone know of a write-up or video of crank arm and spider removal on a Vado? Or can I change the chainring without doing that work?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a write-up or video of crank arm and spider removal on a Vado?
Or can I change the chainring without doing that work?

No, you can't do without it, and you'll need some special tools.

See picture.
An 8-spline lockring tool, the Shimano TL-FC15 or a Brose spline cover, a chain whip for 11-chain, and some normal tools (f.e. 8 Inbus, 2-arm-puller).
It's easy then. ;-)

Attachments

• Tools Vado chainring.jpg
    Tools Vado chainring.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 402
No, you can't do without it, and you'll need some special tools.

See picture.
An 8-spline lockring tool, the Shimano TL-FC15 or a Brose spline cover, a chain whip for 11-chain, and some normal tools (f.e. 8 Inbus, 2-arm-puller).
It's easy then. ;-)

Wow! That is quite a bit more than I anticipated :cool:.

I've always done all the maintenance on my mechanicals, but I think a phone call/email to my LBS might be in order in this case.

I really appreciate the "heads up".

I am slowly changing various components on my Vado 4 to suit my personal situation - having changed the tyres, the grips and the seatpost so far.

I have noticed that I am only using the smallest 3 cogs on the cassette, and I would rather be operating a couple of cogs up from that - the chainring I have is 40T.

In addition, if I want to increase the size of the chainring with Shimano components it is really quite expensive.

I am quite a keen cyclist who has recently moved over to an ebike, and I ride 99% of the time on Eco because I am looking for the exercise in our local area, which is quite short of hills. I plan to increase my normal ride to 30 miles soon, but will need to do some map work.

I am limited to 15.5 mph by legislation, if that is a factor.

I would appreciate any inputs.
To each their own.
I bought a 15.5mph/25kph Vado 5 in Sweden in April 2019. It was sold with a 48 tooth crankwheel. I ordered a 40 tooth as I had that on my Vado 4 in 2018.
For me the 40 tooth crank wheel is perfect on an e-bike limited to 15.5mph ( mine does 28-29kph as I have adjusted the wheel circumference).
I am surprised to hear you’re only using top 3 gears. To me that sounds like a cadence around 60 if you’re not going faster than 15.5mph.
I like a cadence between 80-95 but of course I”m not always pedalling like that. I very very seldom use highest (11 tooth) gear. Almost always in Eco mode.

To each their own.
I bought a 15.5mph/25kph Vado 5 in Sweden in April 2019. It was sold with a 48 tooth crankwheel. I ordered a 40 tooth as I had that on my Vado 4 in 2018.
For me the 40 tooth crank wheel is perfect on an e-bike limited to 15.5mph ( mine does 28-29kph as I have adjusted the wheel circumference).
I am surprised to hear you’re only using top 3 gears. To me that sounds like a cadence around 60 if you’re not going faster than 15.5mph.
I like a cadence between 80-95 but of course I”m not always pedalling like that. I very very seldom use highest (11 tooth) gear. Almost always in Eco mode.

As you say, it depends on the individual. On the flat I am normally doing something over 18mph in Eco mode, dropping back to 15.5mph(ish) on an incline. I have the assistance set for 35% on Eco, but the whole setup is clearly different to my mechanical, where I was often using 39/15 on similar routes.

I will need to give the whole thing some thought.

The latest Vado 5 here has a 40T chainring.

For all those who have kindly contributed to this thread, I have an update from yesterday.

I contacted my LBS, who have been very helpful so far, to be told that an increase in chainring size cannot be done - I asked the question a second time, and the word came back from the mechanic "can't be done".

I have now reached out to Specialized to see what their take on this is, and have found that there is a Specialized Concept Store only 20 miles away.

I don't know if my LBS mechanic was just having a bad day, but I will push for a resolution over the next couple of days.

We will see....... :).

I contacted my LBS, who have been very helpful so far, to be told that an increase in chainring size cannot be done - I asked the question a second time, and the word came back from the mechanic "can't be done".
Oh really....why do they sell them?
Do it yourself, it’s easy enough
All you need is a 5 or 6 mm Allen key
I’m sure YouTube can give you some guidance if you need help

Last edited:
I’m sure YouTube can give you some guidance if you need help

I've looked all over YouTube, but no help.

TS25 says I need to take off the crank and spider to do the job, and that is why I am a bit reluctant to do it myself.

... my LBS, who have been very helpful so far, to be told that an increase in chainring size cannot be done - I asked the question a second time, and the word came back from the mechanic "can't be done".

I don't know if my LBS mechanic was just having a bad day, ...

Or did he wear a mouthguard mask and his hard to understand words were: "I can't do it? " :cool:

They sell the Specialized 48T for the Vado 5.0 and 6.0 models but it fits the Vado 3.0 and 4.0 as well.
Somebody in Florida had a Deckas 52T mounted by his LBS!

No it's not.
Please watch this Video
, 1:13 - 2:35 and you can do it then. With the special tools I mentioned and showed in #25.

Last edited:
I've put some more information and link in my post so you could do it now by yourself. ☝
Yes, you could!

@TS25 many thanks for that - very clear. I actually watched some of that video before, but was concentrating on the firmware updates, so the crank and spider removal process did not register - you have been a great help.

I will wait till Specialized have responded, but I feel a lot more confident now that I have watched the clip :).

Last edited:
No it's not.
Please watch this Video
Hi TS25,
With all due respect, I disagree
The video you linked shows the tools referenced in your post #25 being used to remove the complete spider arm assembly (with the chainring still attached)
I don’t own a Vado, but in my experience you don’t have to remove the spider arm assembly to change a chainring
The chainring is normally fastened to the spider by 1x chainring bolt on each of the spider arms at 104 mm bolt circle
I have attached a photo of the chainring bolts you undo with an allen key to remove it from the spider, and a video link on how to do it
As far as I can see from the video you posted, the Vado appears to use the same standard fastening system

Attachments

• 59F7ED98-F4CB-408A-8067-4C9246A86E22.png
    59F7ED98-F4CB-408A-8067-4C9246A86E22.png
    973.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
@E-Wheels Having just looked at my Vado, it is clear that we cannot get to both sides of the bolts - see attached photos.

Attachments

• Vado Chainring.jpg
    Vado Chainring.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 391
I have just heard from Specialized Customer Support, and they say I am welcome to use an aftermarket chainring up to 48T.

Really good news, and I will now do it myself - probably with a 44T, to move up the cassette a bit, but I will think about that whilst ordering up the key couple of tools.

@E-Wheels Having just looked at my Vado, it is clear that we cannot get to both sides of the bolts - see attached photos.
You shouldn’t need to get to both sides, as the chainring bolts are removed from the outside
Are you able to post a couple photos from each side and from the bottom of the motor to show how much clearance you have to allow the chainring to drop off the spider

@E-Wheels Here a couple of shots, and you can see just how tight everything is in there. Sorry the second one is a bit dark because of the sunlight, but you can see my US Postal water bottle - that will tell you who my hero used to be, but that is another story :).

Attachments

• Vado Chainring 2.jpg
    Vado Chainring 2.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Vado Chainring 3.jpg
    Vado Chainring 3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 394
Back