Chain ring tooth selection

I can't give you an exact measurement because it is mounted and I can't get a perfect lay with my ruler. Wolf Tooth says their 52t chainring is 216.9mm and my measurement looks to be right about there.
I made a tentative measurement and it looks the 52T chainring might just catch my Vado frame (@Sierratim said same before)... It might depend on the frame size.

I made a tentative measurement and it looks the 52T chainring might just catch my Vado frame (@Sierratim said same before)... It might depend on the frame size.
The 2mm clearance that @ci2i68 has is close! Sounds like it's working well for him but I could see that changing with model year and perhaps frame size as it's highly dependent on the deformation of the drive side chain stay. YRMV.

I could have replaced the black chainring in 10 minutes, had I Loctite* Blue at hand... (in mail tomorrow).
If I wanted to apply the fasterestest colour ring though
, I miss the CNW-2 wrench (in mail tomorrow) :)
-------------------
*) For some reasons, Loctite is hard to find here. I've ordered the Würth Blue instead. View attachment 71542
@TS25, isn't Germany the capital country of cycling? :) To be honest, the red rings came from the U.S.A. even if those were manufactured in China... The black ring and the red bolt-sets came from Germany. Globalisation is good!
The first rule of racing... colored anodized alloy parts are always faster! ;)

STEPHAN: JMO The Wow Factor I expected jumping 8 front teeth , wasn't. When I ride without a battery I can tell . With Battery and Power . I suppose there's some gain Top-End. It just isn't this Wow I have another gear range I thought I'd have. There's some just not like I said . WOW !!!!! I would guess getting an 11 Speed Cassette from 10 would make more of a note worthy change.

It's going to snow here soon . So I will have to experiment more next Spring. Just Saying

First heavy snow expected today here in PA too. @Barry S Moving 8 teeth in front seems like it would be a big jump, interesting that you didn't see a big change. I was concerned that it would be too much ... going the other way from 48 to 40 since Specialized didn't offer a 44.

STEPHAN: JMO The Wow Factor I expected jumping 8 front teeth , wasn't. When I ride without a battery I can tell . With Battery and Power . I suppose there's some gain Top-End. It just isn't this Wow I have another gear range I thought I'd have. There's some just not like I said . WOW !!!!! I would guess getting an 11 Speed Cassette from 10 would make more of a note worthy change.
Going from 40->48 is not a wow factor, particularly. For most Como or Vado owners who have done this, it makes cruising above 20 mph (32 kph) up to 28 mph (45 kph) more sustainable, safer cadence, and less wear and tear on their equipment. Going in the other direction for a high power Vado or Como that came with 48T to begin with helps for serious hill climbing but puts more stress on the cassette and chain and forces the rider to maintain very high cadences above 20 mph.

My older 200W 2015 Turbo originally came with a 48T front and 11-32T 10-speed cassette. The 48-32 (F-R) low gear was not great for hills even when in Turbo mode, so I switched to a 44T front and 11-36T cassette (widest range available at the time in 10 speed). This greatly improved my hill climbing, but I then found that cruising anywhere near 25 mph meant I was spinning at a cadence above my comfort zone in my highest (44-11) gear and couldn't control my heart rate. The solution was to change over to 11-42T 11-speed Deore XT and go back to the 48T front. This is the same set of ratios as on the 500W 2016 Turbo S. RESULT!

Last edited:
Going from 40->48 is not a wow factor, particularly. For most Como or Vado owners who have done this, it makes cruising above 20 mph (32 kph) up to 28 mph (45 kph) more sustainable, safer cadence, and less wear and tear on their equipment. Going in the other direction for a high power Vado or Como that came with 48T to begin with helps for serious hill climbing but puts more stress on the cassette and chain and forces the rider to maintain very high cadences above 20 mph.

My older 200W 2015 Turbo, it originally came with a 48T front and 11-32T 10-speed cassette. The 48-32 (F-R) low gear was not great for hills even when in Turbo mode, so I switched to a 44T front and 11-36T cassette (widest range available at the time in 10 speed). This greatly improved my hill climbing, but I then found that cruising anywhere near 25 mph meant I was spinning at a cadence above my comfort zone in my highest (44-11) gear and couldn't control my heart rate. The solution was to change over to 11-42T 11-speed Deore XT and go back to the 48T front. This is the same set of ratios as on the 500W 2016 Turbo S. RESULT!
I'm sure much depends on the rider : I'm still putting 50-60 miles a Week on a generic Bike . Riding My Vado is honestly like taking a vacation . I bought it thinking My riding was mainly with Guys 30 years younger with Road Bikes . My Thoughts were with a Vado E-Bike I could keep up with less effort then Trying to do so with a Hybrid. They average 16 MPH . I just couldn't keep that pace at My age and with a hybrid.

WITH MY VAdo;

Instead I am often waiting on them or riding slower then I want . Which gives me no exercise. I am seriously getting as much as 80 miles from a full charge with 2 bars left. But I am always riding ECO. Hills that I huffed and puffed to climb with a generic Bike I now Zip right up. And I am Being relegated to 16-17 MPH INSTEAD OF THE 22-25 mph I average alone

When I say I didn't get the WOW Factor . It's due to now riding The Vado mainly alone . Where I can fly down roads . I have no issue getting to 28 MPH on flats . But I didn't in 40T OEM either. I attribute that to all the Regular riding . Roughly 1200 miles in 3 months . Since getting the Vado when alone I can ride 20 mile runs in 1/2 the time. Something I didn't due before because I was riding 3 days a week and didn't want to spend 2 hrs on a day away from riding to put on 20 miles.

On rides we'd go 45 miles or more . I made it but was pretty tired when done. Riding a Vado even in Eco for 60 miles at this point is a breeze.

So I agree with you to the extent that Someone who is riding E-bikes or no Bike at all . Has a renewed experience I haven't reached a point of needing yet. I pray I live long enough that I do ;)

... it looks the 52T chainring might just catch my Vado frame (@Sierratim said same before)... It might depend on the frame size.
Could be.
I just stumbled over a report of a German Vado 4.0 rider who has installed a Deckas 52T chain ring successfully some months ago. But I don't know his frame size.
On my XL-frame it could match but close.

When you replace the 40T chain ring with a 48T chain ring does the chain need to be replaced with a longer length ? ( Vado 4.0 )

Thanks

Back