Chain degreasing and skipping on smallest cog

still waiting for the day when a direct electric drive is placed on the rear with enough smart electronics to basically let the motor be the "cassette" you would only pedal the small dynamo with enough effort put into the system you would basically have a true maintenance free system,i have to go for surgery to get the nasty lubricant out of my right index finger,was removing a freewheel and it was covered with some kind of gunk that got into the wound when the freewheel spun off and did a number on my finger like a circular saw luckily it didnt cut the tendon.

still waiting for the day when a direct electric drive is placed on the rear with enough smart electronics to basically let the motor be the "cassette" you would only pedal the small dynamo with enough effort put into the system you would basically have a true maintenance free system,i have to go for surgery to get the nasty lubricant out of my right index finger,was removing a freewheel and it was covered with some kind of gunk that got into the wound when the freewheel spun off and did a number on my finger like a circular saw luckily it didnt cut the tendon.
lots of versions of this prototyped over the years.

the issue remains efficiency : for every 100 watts of pedaling you do, a derailleur drivetrain puts about 95 into the wheel. with current and soon-feasible technology the electric drive system is going to be more like 55-60 watts from that 100. (100 x .8 = 80 watts generated, 80 x .8 = 64 watts of propulsion at the motor, lose another 5-10 from gearing of some kind to keep the motor speeds in a practical range)

that’s a lot of energy to throw away for a human rider. it would feel sluggish to say the least - even the small difference in efficiency between a derailleur and IGH is noticeable to many people, and this is an order of magnitude worse….

lots of versions of this prototyped over the years.

the issue remains efficiency : for every 100 watts of pedaling you do, a derailleur drivetrain puts about 95 into the wheel. with current and soon-feasible technology the electric drive system is going to be more like 55-60 watts from that 100. (100 x .8 = 80 watts generated, 80 x .8 = 64 watts of propulsion at the motor, lose another 5-10 from gearing of some kind to keep the motor speeds in a practical range)

that’s a lot of energy to throw away for a human rider. it would feel sluggish to say the least - even the small difference in efficiency between a derailleur and IGH is noticeable to many people, and this is an order of magnitude worse….
refuse to believe its that bad,with new technology,super caps,software etc,vitual tech can address many of those problems,kinda like diesel electric trains the motor is the transmission,already systems put just enough juice into some motors to eliminate the drag,bet the effeicency of a worn dirty poorly lubricated derailuer system is more like 80-85%,its like the old manual vs automatic argument,some guys and gals just love their giant cassette. some rhings while not as efficient are just better rather like comparing a turbine to a piston engine twin light plane( gimme a pt6 anyday) thanks,that clip almost made my argument for me,we are talking about ebikes after all,when he talked about using this drive system to balance leg output that struck home,due to a partial problem in my left leg due to back injuries this could work very well for someone such as my self and all the components being sealed is another plus,were i ride is very rocky and sandy,some of you people probably do not even need an ebike,for me it has been a godsend,thanks again.

Last edited:
Back