Cemoto Electric Folding Mountain Bike

this is the piece

IMG_0868.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
if you move the rear tire side to side there is a lot of play in this, enough to make a small mark on the frame
IMG_0870.jpg

Vincent, you must really like that bike if you plan the pedal a 50lb. bike with no motor assist . Don't you have a non e bike you can ride until you get your bike setup where you can ride it the way it will fill good to you. Keep looking up! Ken.

hmm, i havent noticed that it is that bad when pedaling without the assist
but have been riding on pavement and on flat ground - and not riding much

i work a lot and my goal is just to be able to ride the bike an hour or 2 a couple of times a week probably on a flat bike path most of the time, so for me it probably wont matter much

plus if i disconnect the pedal assist i should still be able to use the twist throttle to help on hills etc whenever needed

You are in better shape then I am then. The only time my ebike is easy to pedal without assist is when their is a good tail wind.
I ride only on the streets here, and in our part of Fla. there are no hills to speak of. Keep looking up! Ken.

lol, maybe i just havent ridden it enough....
or maybe i have it set in an easy gear... havent played with that stuff much yet

hoping to ride a couple of times this week, will post on here how that goes

rode 5-6 miles today, mostly flat pavement

did use the pedal assist maybe 20-25% of the time, like it for getting around corners quicker where it feels like i am in a blind spot as far as cars coming

used gears 4-5 the whole time, it does not seem overly heavy to me

but i also dont have anything to compare it with
both my bikes are electric and around 50lbs

This bike looks like the bike I took to Burning man. It was the perfect burning bike.

The longer range and full suspension, both of which the fat tired bikes lacked, made it perfect for that event, I covered a lot of ground. The quality seems pretty good. If I get rid of this one I know I'll miss it next year at the playa. But I do need to clean house.

My goal was to find someone who wanted to buy it so I wouldn't have to take it home. I found several, but in the end I happily took it back home with me.

There are multiple manufacturers that use the same design, some are not as well built as others.

This one does not have a usb plug, it has very good pedal assist (3 modes) and a twist throttle.

Cost on this bike is about $400.

1.JPG 2.JPG

this is the piece

I've not seen your parts wobble so I wonder what's going on. Maybe there is a bushing or washers missing in the middle axle. The black assembly doesn't flex does it? It just moves as a unit from side to side?

it is possible i got a defective one

all the parts are there and tight , just not machined well i guess

2 bike shops have seen it and tightened it, etc

i need two people to make a video, maybe this week when i haul it to another part of town to ride i can get a friend to help me do that

no, it is the 2 triangle shaped parts i posted the picture of

i think what you are calling the black assembly..

the parts that hook the rear tire to the shock etc

that whole mechanism is shifting back and forth, it has too much play according to the bike shop

it is very obvious and easy to see on my bike

if you hold the bike straight and shift the rear tire side to side the black triangles will hit the sides of the frame

the second bike shop i took it to said mountain bikes tend to wear out those bushings and get that play in them there
they replace the bushings i guess

but this bike is new and all of that is tight, not worn out

so it is just not machined well and is too loose there i guess

i dont know if mine is defective or they are all like that...

will do my best to get a video

marty do you have some ideas on where we might get some parts for these?

i was hoping maybe changing out some of those parts would help the extra play in mine, but electrobikeworld does not list any parts for it and did not reply to my email with the bike shops concerns

i would be willing to buy some parts and swap them to see if it solves the problem

interesting that you have one that looks the same and it only costs 400, this was $400 new?
where did you get that bike?

on another topic

have ridden the bike 3 times on mostly flat ground and it seems ok, so much better with the raised handlebars

electrobikeworld said to drain the battery completely the first 3 times so my last ride was 90% electric trying to kill the battery, which took forever even after it turned red
of course that is a good thing

have spent a couple of hours at a time on it and been comfortable and have enjoyed it so far

Vincent:
I had two bikes of this design from different manufacturers. One had the issue you mention. The entire bike wasn't of the best quality. But it was fast, did 22 mph, with a 250 watt hub motor. That bike was stolen. The one I have has a 350 watt motor with far better components. All in all, the 250 watt bike was a better combination of the important things (even had a cruise control) but a collection of cheap parts and poor fabrication. Below is a video showing that bike.

Note that this bike had gears on the crank. I replaced them with road bike gearing (as shown in the video). Made it a much better bike, it was geared way too low and there was much duplication in gearing.

Remember the "Hidden Cash" guy? He hid money and left clues as the where it could be found. I saw the clues and knew where the event would be. I had the lock, but didn't have the combination, so I couldn't leave the bike, but could see some of the plastic "eggs" that were hidden from up on that pier. It was genius marketing, for $800 he had a few thousand people out enjoying themselves. If someone found $20 it made their day, if they found nothing they still thanked him for inviting them to the party.

Those triangular parts on the bike in the video bike were just pieces of aluminum sawed out with holes drilled in them. The whole thing got looser as the bike was used. I believe the bike I have has bushings in the holes, maybe just better size holes.

Pull one of those pieces and see if it has bushings. If they are the wrong size or just drilled holes, it's a very easy thing to bush the holes and use high tolerance bolts to put it all together.

If this is a bike you like, you might look at all of the holes. Bushing holes is basic machine shop stuff. My guess is that it might be money well spent.

I import bikes (and other things too), manufacturers send me bikes to look at. I may be able to get you any parts you need (I know the right guy to ask). That bike has a very good manufacturers warranty, I'm sure all of that is covered. Ask the dealer you bought it from about the warranty and then look into the tolerance of the bolts and holes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
this is all great info marty, thank you

i agree to me it seemed somehow it should have been able to be fixed

the second shop seemed to think the first shop was being a little over the top, they were not worried about it

think they believe it is ok right now and not to worry about it until it gets loose.....

i would much rather fix it now if you can point me toward the parts

my understanding from the shop was that it does have bushings, they tightened them up as much as possible and it is still loose

makes sense we could take them out and have them machined bigger, i will see my car mechanic this week and will ask for a recommendation of a machine shop

but if you can get all the parts you think i need let me know the price and i will paypal for them
getting new parts and swapping them out may be quicker...

and my understanding is that at some point the bushings will wear out anyway and i will have to replace them, so may be good to have a back up set

thanks for all your help

Vincent:
Thanks to you I spent the day (so far) working on that bike. I put the 5 inch bars on it I have had lying around, and a different seat. Now to go test it out.

I checked my rear wheel, no looseness at all. I checked the bolts in the arms, all were loose (a little lock tight is a good thing.) I took the screws out of the arms, the rear wheel yoke travels up and down smoothly with no slop. I suspect you have a different issue than you think. I could not see any possibility of the looseness I believe you are having.

So, please make a video.

Where are you located? I'll check it out of it's possible.

Mechanics- There's a local shop that has a great reputation. They are disorganized, lots of disassembled bikes and parts lying around, the mechanic sweating while laboring over a job. They tell me how hard it is to fix bikes. Then there's another shop, where it's organized, clean, and empty. No partial jobs waiting, the mechanic is playing with his phone. They tell me how easy it is.

If anyone tells me how hard it is I know to find another shop.

Thanks
Marty

Back