Catrike conversion complete

PennyWV

My catrike conversion is complete and she is now an “E-Cat”. It has been upgraded with the Electric Bike Outfitters, Burly system. 350W, 48V. Went on my first ride Sunday on a local trail that I would not have attempted before. It is 10 miles and all hills, some pretty steep, with several road crossings. The trike did amazing. I was able to pedal most of the hills with PAS at 2 or 3. Not speedy on the hills, thats the nature of recumbent trikes, but at a steady pace and without killing my legs and knees. Found the throttle to be really helpful at the road crossings. They were all at low spots with short steep inclines after a complete stop. What a blast. Looking forward to many long rides this summer!

I have an Electric Trike converted Fat Tad. On that system you can set the assist levels at either 5 or 9 increments. I much prefer the 9 increments as it lets me fine tune the level I want. It also extends range. It's more like a close ratio gearbox with those extra PAS set points. At 9 you get approximately 11% per increment compared to 20% at 5 levels.

Right now I have all settings at the default values. I have the KT-LCD8S display. Rich, I believe you may be referring to the C5 setting (C5 Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode). The description in the manual says “C5 is controller maximum operating current adjustment mode (tiny-adjustment of limit current value). The default value is 10, setting range is 0-10”. I’m really not sure what any of that means. As time goes by I may tweak some of the settings and see what impact they have.

Right now I have all settings at the default values. I have the KT-LCD8S display. Rich, I believe you may be referring to the C5 setting (C5 Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode). The description in the manual says “C5 is controller maximum operating current adjustment mode (tiny-adjustment of limit current value). The default value is 10, setting range is 0-10”. I’m really not sure what any of that means. As time goes by I may tweak some of the settings and see what impact they have.
No, that's not the same. On my controller, it's ST6, assist level steps. You can set it to 3, 5, or 9. No range, just 3 options. I don't see anything other that 5 in your display manual.

What model Catrike do you have? I have a 2013 Catrike Trail (non folding) and am interested in converting it to an eTrike. Any help you could give from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have had it for 6 years, but don’t ride it much since getting my eBike last year. The Trike limits me simply because it is such a slog going up hills. Love my Catrike, and want to ride it more.

I have a 2009 catrike villager. I don’t mind going slow up the hills, it just started becoming painful on my knees. With the assist I had no problems with the hills, still a little slow, but much easier. I had considered upgrading to a newer villager or the road AR. The road AR is about 3 inches lower than the villager, and a little too low for me. I also decided I didn’t want all the moving parts that go along with the full suspension, just more to take care of and there just wasn’t any real benefit to getting a new villager, I like the one I have. My advise would be to do your research on after market kits. The EBO systems aren’t cheap but I felt it was worth it. I wasn’t interested in buying separate components and having them installed, or doing the install myself. I also wanted to go through a dealer who has worked with the EBO systems and who knows catrikes. I think I made the right decision, only time will tell. I was in communication with Jason, the owner of EBO and the owner of the shop that did the install throughout the process and they were both very responsive and answered all my questions. Looking forward to a summer full of long rides!

@PennyWV - Thanks for the follow up :)

To your knowledge was there need to get extra long cables for a Trike instal? Did everything fit without modifications?

I plan to attempt installation myself, and want to be sure it is an appropriate kit for the Catrike.

Looks like you will have a good summer!

It depends on where on the trike you want to mount the battery. In my case the battery is mounted just behind the seat, low, on on a battery mount that attaches to the frame. With that configuration it sits about the same distance from the hub motor as it would on a regular bike and the display is also about the same distance. Having said that I believe the dealer did get slightly longer cables just to make sure everything fit and since the extra cable tucks up under the trike seat, you would never know. EBO provides extended cables for trike installations, you just have to ask for those. They come with the connectors so nothing special to do there.

The biggest challenge was figuring out the placement of the display and throttle. I purchased the catrike computer/accessory mount and the t-cycle mini mount. The problem there is that catrike made the computer mount 2mm smaller then a handlebar. The t-cycle mount is supposed to slide into it, but won’t. I had to slide the connector on the mount down so that 1/4 inch of the mini mount is in the connector and 1/4 inch of the computer mount is in the other side of the connector. The display and power button are mounted on the mini mount. It works well and once tightened is solid. I had a spare set of bar ends from another bike. I shortened those to about 2.5 inches and mounted them to the tops of the catrike handlebars. Mounted the thumb throttle on one and my bike bell on the other. That put the throttle in the perfect position and I can operate it with either my index finger or thumb. I do have a pic of that setup attached.

Attachments

• A4364532-76B7-4B85-9780-D4D9076EF909.jpeg
    A4364532-76B7-4B85-9780-D4D9076EF909.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 591
  • D6B5D4EA-BD8D-45D5-8202-176DF364784C.jpeg
    D6B5D4EA-BD8D-45D5-8202-176DF364784C.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 479
Looks great, thank you for the info. I will look into EBO and see how it goes. I have this fear of getting a kit and discovering it won’t fit. You have given me a bit more confidence:)

Welcome to the eBike world and EBR!

Court has done several reviews ln EBO that I found helpful. The EBO website has a list of their vendors. I went to My Trike Spirit on Long Island. A long way from home for me but worth it. Good luck.

Back