Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I sent a video to the bike shop I purchased the bike from and they had their Bosch rep look at it. Looks like I'll have to make the 120km drive back to the dealer so they can have a close-up look at the problem.

I guess I'll be riding my carbon road bike for a while.

Why not throw another wheel on the back and see if it persists?

Why not throw another wheel on the back and see if it persists?

That's exactly what I was thinking, and the shop happens to have another Topstone Lefty 3 in their shop that I test rode. Hopefully, they still have it and they'll be agreeable to swapping out the rear wheels for me to see if the clicking continues or disappears.

Reactions: JRA
Seems like you would be able to find a wheel closer than 120km but I suppose you have tried.

Seems like you would be able to find a wheel closer than 120km but I suppose you have tried.
I'm taking it back to the shop I purchased the bike from. If the motor is failing they will install the new motor under warranty.

Happy days, my bike is back. Turns out it was a bolt in the motor that wasn't torqued enough, allowing some flex in the crank area.

I've already put around 150km on the bike and so far no more noise. 🥳

To celebrate I ordered a set of carbon wheels for my Lefty from Yeoleo wheels. :p

A while back I ordered a Redshift suspension stem for my carbon road bike. The roads where I live are rough and I often ride on gravel pathways, so I thought the stem would smooth out some of the rough ride.
I also find the shock on my Lefty to be very stiff, so I decided to mount the Redshift stem on my Lefty first, to see if it improved the ride. I followed Redshift's stiffness instructions and found little, if any, improvement. Before I gave up and took the stem off I switch the two elastomers I had in the stem to 'softer' ones.
I noticed the improvement right away. It's not huge, but it does make a difference. I've decided to keep the Redshift stem on the Lefty and buy another Redshift stem for my road bike.

Great to see discussions about canondale, I have a topstone 2 just like @ghost with the Kiox display. I had a lot of problems with the WTB wheels so I replaced them with DT swiss and replaced the tires with Continental tires since I do gravel. now the bike handles like a dream, did a ride yesterday 55 miles with 2500 ft of climbing 45% Eco and 10% Tour mode, made it home with 5% battery left. I weigh 270 lb (hey that's why I have an ebike). Picture before the wheel swap.
IMG_1914.jpg

I should be getting my carbon wheels soon. Finding a wheel company that was willing to build a front wheel with the Lefty hub was challenging.

I wanted to put my Lefty on my bike work stand. To lighten the bike I decided to take out the battery. What a PITA.
I have two metal bottle cages and I couldn't get the cover off until I took off the one of the bottle cages, but the real pain was trying to get the battery back in. I thought it would just click into place......not a chance.
It was quite a struggle to get it back in place. I don't plan on taking it out again, if possible.

Love the photo.....it looks so nice and warm. I went for a 60km ride yesterday, with the temperature hovering around 42 degrees F. It did warm up to a balmy 46 degrees during the ride, though.

I went ahead and installed lights on my bike. Since it was prewired all I had to do was solder the wires so it was relatively easy to do. Wasn't sure if I needed to bring it to my bike store to activate the lights but it turned right on so it wasn't necessary. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring lights or running out of battery.

The conversion from drop to flat handlebars was completed yesterday. The weather has been lousy, so I haven't had a chance to do more than a ride around the block. With a more 'upright' riding position I could tell right away there was less pressure on my hands, which is the main reason for the conversion. With the horns I can still stretch out and get into a more aero position.
The bar is quite wide, but I'll put a couple of hundred kms on it before I decide on whether or not I should shorten it. Presently, I have cheap rubber grips on the bar, because the Ergon GC1 grips I want are out of stock locally and the only ones I can find online are priced too high.
The handlebar was designed by Alee Denham, who is a world tourer. It's called the Koga Satori Denham handlebar (31.8MM)

gIjEuuo.jpg

So far I've put around 110km on the new flat bar setup and I couldn't be happier. Having said that, I wish the Deore XT shifting was better. Shifting to a larger cog is fine, but shifting to a smaller cog is stiff and takes more effort than I think it should. Mind you, the shifting with the GRX setup wasn't that great either.
I think Di2 electric shifting has spoiled me. I did consider going with Di2 on this conversion, but I didn't think the benefits were worth the big increase in cost.
In the 110km travelled I've not had any numbness in the fingers of either hands. 🥳 👍🥳

EGy038q.jpg

I finally received my Yoeleo carbon wheels and they're VERY nice. Total weight both both wheels is 1478g. I believe the stock wheels weigh somewhere around 2000g.

A month ago I bought a pair of Specialized Pathfinder 2 bliss tires to mount on my new wheels. The old tires are 42mm and the Pathfinders are 47mm wide. The Pathfinders have black sidewalls, which I prefer over the original tire's tan sidewalls.

Because I'm now running wider (and slightly heavier) tires there isn't much of a weight saving-only 384g
Old tires and wheels: 3196g
New tires and wheels: 2812g

Here's before and after photos:

LO4gF8f.jpg

ADtD8gT.jpg

I finally received my Yoeleo carbon wheels and they're VERY nice. Total weight both both wheels is 1478g. I believe the stock wheels weigh somewhere around 2000g.

A month ago I bought a pair of Specialized Pathfinder 2 bliss tires to mount on my new wheels. The old tires are 42mm and the Pathfinders are 47mm wide. The Pathfinders have black sidewalls, which I prefer over the original tire's tan sidewalls.

Because I'm now running wider (and slightly heavier) tires there isn't much of a weight saving-only 384g
Old tires and wheels: 3196g
New tires and wheels: 2812g

Here's before and after photos:

LO4gF8f.jpg

Hi , good afternoon and wishing to all Members the best for a brilliant 2021!
Deacon I was following Your work and quite curious to get Your first impression after riding with the new wheel/tires setup.
Personally I'm tempeted to go exactly opposite, being my Lefty3 mounted with WTB Resolute 47 , and looking for better fit with 42 or 45 max.
for which reason You decided for 47? Really nice Your new carbon wheel but considering the total weight for our babies not so sure it's the best
choice on hard tracks.Thank very much for sharing Your feeling.
Purchased my Lefty3 on July 2020 ,as today she is with abt 6000 km on the wheels and still globally satisfy :time to time I would like to hold something less heavier but I must admit it's not a relevant limiting factor once riding not in a group . My average speed on flat without assistance is in between 28-30 km/h, Eco used at 80-85% on uphill till 10% gradient and Tour above .Till now never used Sport and Turbo. Average distance 80-100 km with 1000-1300 mts
elevation gain.
Enjoy Your ride
blackvipergts

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpeg
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
I just got home from a 50km ride and I'm loving this wheel/tire combo. 🥳
The bike is noticeably faster on pavement and gravel pathways and the ride is more compliant. I found the stock tires to be quite loud compared to the new Pathfinders.
With the wider rims and wider tires I'm also running the tires at a lower tire pressure, which helps smooth out the ride.
I'm also VERY happy with my flat bar conversion. No more numbness in my thumb and next two fingers. 👍🥳👍
I love this bike!

The only downside is I'm hearing noises from the motor again. Very similar to last time. I suspect it's the bolt that attaches the motor to the frame again. This time I plan on fixing it myself, since the dealer is 150km away.
I may try and hold off until February or March, when the new Nyon displays become available in Canada. Then the shop can install the display and fix the squeak.

Great looking bike. Curious what it weighs now with all the changes you have made?
The lighter wheels and tires have probably been cancelled out by the small extras I've added to the bike (lights, seat bag, etc)

My GC1 grips finally arrived. I installed the grips and my new Hafny bar end mirror, but I'll have to wait for a test ride until the snow melts. It seldom snows here, so (hopefully) I'll be able to go for a ride soon.

YqTFxo3.jpg

I just pulled the pin on a Topstone Neo Carbon 2 from REI (which is just two miles from our home). They are closing out the 2021 models so they show as no longer available. They are 20% off last year's price in the REI Outlet. https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/196951/cannondale-topstone-neo-carbon-2-electric-bike-2021. Ordered yesterday and should be available for pickup in the store on Friday.

I plan to put Tubeless WTB 700x40 Byway Road Plus tires on. Suggestions, specifications and links for carbon rims, correct hubs and freehub would be appreciated.

Has anyone put a Kinekt Body Float seat post on their Topstone Neo?

Which front & Rear fenders fit best on this bike?

Last edited:
Back