Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Has anyone else been able to confirm that any of the Topstone Neo Lefty bikes are supposed to be equipped with lights? My Lefty 3 is definitely wired for lights (see photo, with capped wires poking out of a front frame hole), and the Bosch Purion display has a button that will trigger lights on/off. However, my dealer (not REI) knew nothing about lights arriving later. I've been assuming that these wires -- like the included accessories for mounting a fender or converting to tubeless tires -- are to make it easier for me to make aftermarket mods, and so I've got a Lupine light on order.

By the way, I've now put nearly 300 miles on my bike, riding on paved roads and crushed gravel trails and Rocky Mountain inclines, and this bike is genuinely amazing. The carbon frame, suspension, and tires are so good at dealing with vibration that crushed gravel trails feel almost like pavement. The geometry is compact and allows me to maintain a very comfortable riding position, and steering is stable and responsive, not twitchy. There is something magical about Sport mode, which is the setting between Tour and Turbo and apparently a blend of both, as needed. Sport seems to allow better control going over rough sections of a gravel trail, perhaps because it is dynamically adjusting the thrust? And like others have commented, the motor and battery give you great range and power. It's not my first e-bike (I had a Specialized Turbo before this), but it is a major step up for me.

-- Bill

View attachment 64190
None of the images and none of the specs at Cannondale site show or mention lights. It seems that some of the bikes shipping are showing up with the lighting wiring in place, and some not. The wiring isn’t expensive, but the labor on some bikes to add the wiring later can be extensive, including dropping the motor, according to some posts. Nice looking bike.

A couple of days ago I ordered a set of MTB fenders for my Lefty. Where I live it rains a lot during the winter months, but it doesn't get really cold and we seldom get snow. I can usually ride all year long, but fenders are a must-have.

bought them off ebay.ca https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154048766159

There are mounting locations in the rear, but I have no idea what fender would fit. I wonder if Cannondale will eventually sell a rear fender specifically for this bike, like Specialized does for its Diverge and Creo line.

@Bill Goldman my Neo Carbon 2 is coming with wiring for lighting (exposed like yours) but with no lights. @GHOST is the only one so far who got the light with the bike. I wonder which light REI provided.

By the way is Lefty 3 using CX motor? If so, Sport mode is most probably is the tweaked dynamic eMTB mode that adjusts torque based on pedaling.

I just called Cannondale. They say the bike comes with pre-wiring but no lights. @GHOST's might be an REI only deal.

Yes, it's the Performance Line CX (85 Nm motor), so I think you're right that Sport mode = eMTB mode.

So far I've only used the Sport mode once, on a really steep hill. I'm finding that Tour mode is powerful enough for most hills.

Interesting information about the bikes being pre-wired.

Anyone else find their shifting to be on the clunky side? Maybe it's just that I've become accustomed to the super smooth Di2 shifting on my road bike.

I think my bike does not come with lights either. I called REI since it's been more than 2 weeks and they said they had to file a warranty for the lights but I suspect they are mistaken and the Bike may just be prewired for the lights. Anyway if I do get the lights I will update this post.

As for the Bike, I did have wrist pains initially but it went away once I flipped the stem. I put almost 400 miles on it so far and it's been great. It even rides fine without the motor on as onetime I forgot to turn it on and didn't realize it until I hit a hill. I would say if you ride on mostly eco mode you should get 80 plus mile range on it.

Do any of you get any error codes when you turn on your Kiox/Purion? I'm getting Error 550. Trying to figure out if it is due the lights not been hooked up yet.

@Deacon Blues Thanks for the info. That could mean "hey I'm missing the lights you just told that hooked up to me" or "you just messed up all wiring I'm just going to combust if you excuse me". I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I'm lucky when I contact my dealer who doesn't know much about this motor even though they are certified Bosch dealer. Fun times!

Last edited:
Went on another great ride today (54km).
I mentioned in a previous post that the bike's gear shifting is the noisy and clunky. Is this normal for the shifting setup that's on this bike?

Went on another great ride today (54km).
I mentioned in a previous post that the bike's gear shifting is the noisy and clunky. Is this normal for the shifting setup that's on this bike?

It shouldn't be like that! It has a lot to do with the component spec'ed and if the shift was done with motor still spinning.

BTW, Bosch is Di2 compatible. So, if you do install XTR, it will minimize motor power for a split second before completing the shift.

BTW, Bosch is Di2 compatible. So, if you do install XTR, it will minimize motor power for a split second before completing the shift.

Sure.....get me to spend more money, Ravi. :p

I have Di2 on my Giant Defy road bike and I love it. The bad news is it spoiled me for anything else.

The shifting kit is a Shimano GRX 812/600 unit. The bike is going in the shop for its 400km quick look over. I'll have to ask them about the shifting.

I've decided to upgrade my display to the SmartphoneHub. Since the motor has to be dropped I'm going to have an ebike shop that sells a lot of ebikes with Bosch motors do the work.

Looks like I have a problem with my Lefty 3. I'm noticing a clicking sound when I pedal with some force. The clicking sound is not evident when I pedal lightly or coast.

The sound is getting louder and seems to be changing (not sure how to describe it)

There's a big thread on the Trek section, with riders who have the Gen 4 motor and Shimano rear hub, who are noticing similar noises. Seems it is the Shimano hub, not the motor.

I'm going to keep on riding and see if the noice gets worse.

Anyone else noticing this type of noise?

Looks like I have a problem with my Lefty 3. I'm noticing a clicking sound when I pedal with some force. The clicking sound is not evident when I pedal lightly or coast.

The sound is getting louder and seems to be changing (not sure how to describe it)

There's a big thread on the Trek section, with riders who have the Gen 4 motor and Shimano rear hub, who are noticing similar noises. Seems it is the Shimano hub, not the motor.

I'm going to keep on riding and see if the noice gets worse.

Anyone else noticing this type of noise?

The only clicking I hear is when I use big-big or small-small cross-chain gear positions on my 2x11 Carbon 2. Most probably caused by chain rubbing against front derailleur. I have not taken it back for the break-in tune up yet. Hoping that will get less after some adjustment. Otherwise everything is very smooth. I'll keep an ear for it. Is it more pronounced at high cadence?

@Blackvipergts you've probably got more kms on your Lefty 3 than I have (640km) and I'm wondering if you've noticed a clicking sound when you put a bit of effort into your pedalling.
Mine is doing it and the noise is getting louder. A similar problem is happening with Trek owners who, I think, have the same Shimano hub. I mention the hub, because the problem seems to be related to the Shimano hub and not the Bosch motor.

@Blackvipergts you've probably got more kms on your Lefty 3 than I have (640km) and I'm wondering if you've noticed a clicking sound when you put a bit of effort into your pedalling.
Mine is doing it and the noise is getting louder. A similar problem is happening with Trek owners who, I think, have the same Shimano hub. I mention the hub, because the problem seems to be related to the Shimano hub and not the Bosch motor.
Hi ,with my Lefty3 , since now, I totaled 1700 km and I did not noticed anything similar.On contrary now the engine is more silent and riding is smooth.Also solved the noise generated by the carbon seat post once on uphill forcing..
Globally satisfied even if ,looking at my riding style, probably the Specialized Creo could have been better fitting.
Regards
Blackvipergts

I sent a video to the bike shop I purchased the bike from and they had their Bosch rep look at it. Looks like I'll have to make the 120km drive back to the dealer so they can have a close-up look at the problem.

I guess I'll be riding my carbon road bike for a while.

Back