Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Blackvipergts, is there an app available for the gen 4 motor to allow customizing the power output, similar to what the Creo offers?
That was my question earlier and his response was:

The App doesn't allow any customization and the screen shot enclosed explain what's available ( basic) during the journey. More You have info about
bike technical datas, maintenance and other general info...
Being installed a Bosch Gen 4 Cx Performance, the setup is standard with 4 levels assistance (updated software firmware release July 2020 )
ECO=60% Tour=140%. EMTB=140%-340% Turbo=340%
Nm. 40. Nm 50. Nm. 75 Nm. 85
The Lefty version , mine, is only available as single crank 42 with gearing 11-42.
Honestly speaking I do not see the Topstone , either Lefty or standard fork, as comparable to Specialized Turbo Creo
Regards
Blackvipergts

The Mission Control app and it's ability to change/tune the different boost levels I believe is a MAJOR benefit on the Creo. The Creo is designed as a bike to assist a rider who is fit but needs just a bit of help up the hills or against the wind. MC gives the rider the ability to add just the amount of assist he/she wants. I think Cannondale missed the boat when they designed a light weight bike but didn't give the rider the ability to tune it to their individual needs.

Blackvipergts, is there an app available for the gen 4 motor to allow customizing the power output, similar to what the Creo offers?
Hi , for what's my knowledge not . The Gen 4 has been recently updated but the main changes have been the increased power from 75 to 85 Nm
in Turbo mode plus the possibility to choose the EMTB mode which adapt the power from 240% to 340% as result of the rider effort.
Unchanged Eco still at 60% and Tour at 140%
No ideas about what's possible to configurate by the Bosch App - eBike Connect , which require Kiox or Nyon ( The Nyon should be updated to a
new model with more suitable shape and some interesting update : available as from October)
Personally I use only the Eco mode ( at least till today) to support my effort keeping the heart rate within a defined range up to a max of 140-145bpm;
on the flat or low gradient ( said up to 5-6%) I ride as muscular bike
Congratulation for Your new bike and waiting for Your comment and impression .
Regards
blackvipergts

As I mentioned before, I'm not crazy about the paint color, so I looked at the option of upgrading to the Lefty 1. I like the dark green paint, carbon front shock, and electric shifting, but I couldn't see paying that much money. It would end up costing around $11,000 Can, or about $3,000 more than the Lefty 3.

I recently purchased the neo 2 version and am loving it. My previous bikes were all flat bars so still getting used to the drop bars. I am mostly using eco mode and don't think I will ever need the higher levels of assist. It's a fast bike and I can easily reach 25 mph and go over 30 mph on flats with effort.
Photo Aug 08, 3 33 30 PM.jpg

Hi, GH0ST,

is the benefit of the rear suspension obvious when riding on a paved road with cracks, etc.? Do you wish it had some front suspension? It is a very nice looking bike.

I think the rear suspension does help a little on bumps as it doesn't seem to be as harsh. So far am not missing having a front suspension but I'm still getting used to the drop bars. I may get the redshift shockstop stem though if I find the need for it.

One thing I will add that I was not aware of is that the bike apparently comes with lights. None of the reviews I've seen shows it with lights. I bought mine at REI and mine was missing so I have to bring it back to them when they get it.

Hi Ghost,

You just made my day. Finally a Topstone Neo Carbon 2 in the flesh (at least a picture of it) and it looks gorgeous. This bike has been at the top of my shortlist for light and powerful ebikes. But it is one elusive creature. No dealer around me has it to test. They don't even know about it and they keep pushing Creos when I ask about light gravel ebikes. I'm getting back to cycling after 15 years of hiatus and I live in a hilly area (my house is hill-locked). I need some torque to get back home. Much larger than the 35Nm Creo offers.

Did it come with the latest firmware upgrade? Does it feel heavy? I test drove a regular Topstone Ultima RX to get sized and loved it, but that bike is much lighter than the neo carbon. Some weight is welcome for stability at this point for me. I just want to make sure that it does not feel like a tank as some of the more traditional ebikes do.

Cannondale does not list a weight for the Topstone Neo Carbon 2, but REI lists a weight of 36 lbs 14.4 oz for a "median size", which might mean an average of a M and a L, or might mean the weight of a medium. In any case, that is reasonable, as the bike has a 500 Wh battery and a Performance Line Speed Bosch motor. To get the bike substantially lower in weight, it would require a smaller battery and a less capable mid drive, or maybe a hub drive, as they have done with the SuperSix Neo 3 (smaller battery, hub drive and no rear suspension).

I don't trust REIs weight info too much. I test drove a Quick NEO (non EQ version) which is listed as ~40lb at REI but felt much heavier. It felt like a Gazelle Ultimate or VanMoof X3 I rode before which are 50+ lb. Maybe the right question to ask for me is: Does the weight distribution feel awkward? I think that makes me feel like I'm riding a tank when I try heavier bikes. I know that there are lighter ebikes with lighter motor/battery combinations like SL 1.1, Ebikemotion and Fazua motors. I did try most of them (except Fazua). They all felt too weak. Barely made up for extra weight they had compared to their analog versions. I rather get an ebike with Bosch Perfomance motor which of course is heavier.

After I test rode the Lefty 3 (large size) I asked the shop to weigh it for me. He brought out their scale and weighed the bike. It came in at an even 40 pounds.

After I test rode the Lefty 3 (large size) I asked the shop to weigh it for me. He brought out their scale and weighed the bike. It came in at an even 40 pounds.

That is good to know. Thanks Deacon Blues.
SoCalDave, based on this I guess REI's weight info for Neo Carbon 2 is reliable. That is close to Vado SL 5.0 I tried 3 times which felt "nimble enough".

REI lists Lefty 3 as 39 lbs 11.2 oz, probably size M or average of M&L. Some online tests report about 40 lbs for the Lefty 3, so in agreement with what Deacon Blues reports. I have a 2019 Quick Neo (non EQ) in size L, and it is 42.5 lbs. Since it has a Bosch Action Line Plus mid drive, along with a 500 Wh battery, that is very reasonable. Similarly equipped bikes from other manufacturers tend to be closer to 50 lbs, so I think Cannondale has done a good job for the price. I am very happy with the Quick Neo, but the Topstone Neo line is very tempting.

Good day everybody. I weighed my Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3 and it showed a 18,14kg or 40 pounds two bottle-cages & WTB 47 x 650B included in size M
Regards
blackvipergts

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    917.2 KB · Views: 402
On the Cannondale website they list a removable fender bridge. Does that mean fenders can be mounted on this bike?
I live on Vancouver Island, off the coast of British Columbia, where it rains a lot, so a fender option would be very desirable.

I think the rear suspension does help a little on bumps as it doesn't seem to be as harsh. So far am not missing having a front suspension but I'm still getting used to the drop bars. I may get the redshift shockstop stem though if I find the need for it.

One thing I will add that I was not aware of is that the bike apparently comes with lights. None of the reviews I've seen shows it with lights. I bought mine at REI and mine was missing so I have to bring it back to them when they get it.

How did you find out that it comes with lights? The official webpage doesn't mention it. It would be great to have integrated lights. One less thing to worry about.

No lights on the Lefty 3 I took for a test ride. A back and front light would be nice to have, especially if they had a flashing mode.

Hi Ghost,

You just made my day. Finally a Topstone Neo Carbon 2 in the flesh (at least a picture of it) and it looks gorgeous. This bike has been at the top of my shortlist for light and powerful ebikes. But it is one elusive creature. No dealer around me has it to test. They don't even know about it and they keep pushing Creos when I ask about light gravel ebikes. I'm getting back to cycling after 15 years of hiatus and I live in a hilly area (my house is hill-locked). I need some torque to get back home. Much larger than the 35Nm Creo offers.

Did it come with the latest firmware upgrade? Does it feel heavy? I test drove a regular Topstone Ultima RX to get sized and loved it, but that bike is much lighter than the neo carbon. Some weight is welcome for stability at this point for me. I just want to make sure that it does not feel like a tank as some of the more traditional ebikes do.

The software has been updated. When REI called to say it's ready I asked to make sure they did the update. They told me they normally check for latest updates anyways but I wanted to make sure. As for the weight I would say it's under 40 pounds, I didn't find it too difficult lifting it. It definitely does not feel like riding a tank and it rides great up hills. I rode up a lot of hills today mostly on eco mode. I briefly tried touring mode and it was way too easy/fast. I don't even think I tried turbo mode yet.

As for lack of pics of this bike, I agree there is not much out there yet so I'll add a few more.

Photo Aug 09, 1 08 40 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 09, 1 08 49 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 09, 12 49 43 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 09, 12 51 42 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 09, 12 52 02 PM.jpg

How did you find out that it comes with lights? The official webpage doesn't mention it. It would be great to have integrated lights. One less thing to worry about.
I found out about the lights when REI called to tell me that I could either pick up the bike or wait a couple of weeks for the lights to arrive. I asked if they were sure it came with lights and they said it did. I didn't want to wait so I picked up the bike and they will call me when the lights arrive. They did put in the wiring for it and in the latest pics I posted you can see the wires for the lights under the seat as well as near the head tube where there is a yellow sticker on the wire for the front lights.

I'll post some pics of the lights once they install it.

Back