Canbus---- motor/parts replacement?

Nvreloader

Western Nevada
Region
USA
Guys
I am looking to buy a direct drop in/bolt up UART motor to replace this Canbus junk, I have now.
I am thinking that I need the following replacement parts, to have a working bike that is programable to what I need for my riding area/style?
(I am not sure just which parts I need, to convert to a UART motor + parts).
1. Motor
2.Controller
3.Display
4. All the connection cables
5. What else is needed ??

Where can I find a programmable 750w mid drive motor and all the needed and required above parts?

The motor information I have on this bike at this time is as follows: (Junk Motor, Canbus)
CR R10M.1000.FC 1.0
A48YJV3053488
MM G510.1000.C 12
027F3V3220389

Or second choice, is to buy a second Ebike with the above PROGRAMMABLE parts,
that will fit my Wart Hog etc.
I have enough mechanics skills/knowledge to do this change over.

Your thoughts and suggestions on the above will be appreciated,
Thanks,
Don

Don, you have the cable. Don't loose track of that. If you are going to program a Bafang mid drive, you're going to need it.

From there, if you like the programmable idea, my focus would be for something using a UART based BBSHD. That's basically a smaller lighter Ultra (same torque rating) without the torque sensing. I'm pretty sure you can still find them in some '22 production bikes. Clearly you would want to confirm the fact you were talking UART prior handing over your money/ordering.

There is no other motor that will match up with the ULTRA bracket on the bike you have.

I'm not sure if you will be able to find a UART Ultra.

Try California eBikes

Green Bike Kit are another reputable supplier and if anyone can get their hands on one... it may be them. Currently showing out of stock so give Anna an email ([email protected]) and see if she can help.

Another source could be Watt Wagon... You can check there forum here on EBR or PM @pushkar .

Thanks Guys
Yes I want a programmable bike, I hate this bikes program settings it has now.

I have been testing the pas settings in the Eco setting, (so far) and I found out,
that when I stop peddling,
the motor continues to supply a surge or continues power,
for approximately 5 seconds longer...then shuts off.

I can see getting into a real problem with this extra (not wanted/supplied) power
at the wrong times on some the goat paths I want to travel on etc,
a bad crash and burn just waiting to happen, IMHO.
I don't heal as quick as I used to...LoL.

What parts do I need to replace exactly,
such as display and controller, wiring harness etc, so I can program for what I need,
I have the Uart program cable, stored safely in the tool box.

I am getting confused with all the BBSHD, Ultra etc, etc being mentioned,
from the info on the bottom of my motor, it is a MM G510.1000.C 12. (Ultra motor ?)
Where does this fit in with all the other motors abbreviations?

Where is this Cancrap programing contained in/at, motor or controller, display etc?
Your thoughts and suggestion.........
Thanks,
Don

Sensible reseller will avoid G510 and there, confusing to most, versions. When working with California eBike I dealt with the confusion and saw brisk sales of G510 controllers and the sales weren’t worth the support hassles. I was shocked by the sheer number of support requests for G510 failed controllers. Add two versions for a complete mind f*ck.

Thanks Guys

I have been testing the pas settings in the Eco setting, (so far) and I found out,

I can see getting into a real problem with this extra (not wanted/supplied) power

such as display and controller, wiring harness etc, so I can program for what I need,

from the info on the bottom of my motor, it is a MM G510.1000.C 12. (Ultra motor ?)

Where is this Cancrap programing contained in/at, motor or controller, display etc?
Thanks,
Don
The only motor that can (should) bolt to your bike frame is the G510 aka Ultra.
You'll also need the main wire harness (because of the different connectors) and the display.
Think of CANBUS and UART as a language... So both the controller and display need to speak the same one.
I would also confirm the mounting holes and necessary hardware with any seller that you find that has the UART version of the motor for sale

Have you reached out to the Warthog seller for any help with this?

edit: As for the motor run on. Keep a finger on the break levers as the slightest pull on them should cut motor power instantly.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

Thanks,
Don
BBSHD (or it's smaller brother BBS02) is going to be a new/different bike. Totally different way of mounting the motor than used on an Ultra. NOT interchangeable, no how, no way.

Cancrap is contained in the internal motor controller, and uses a cancrap dedicated display.

I don't think your issue is CANBUS per se, sounds like you have a faulty controller. As bad as the default programming is, it shoudn't surge for 5 seconds after you stop pedaling. I would contact Johnny at Bafang for warranty service.

Johnny Qin
Technical Support Executive
BaFang Electric (SuZhou)Co.,Ltd. / USA BaFang Science Inc.
2530 Corporate PL #A100 Monterey Park CA 91755
[email protected]
Tel: 323-970-8888
Mob: 626-437-8885

As far as your other options, ask Watt Wagons how soon they anticipate being able to resume controller upgrades and the status of their CANBUS solution. Last I heard it required a translation chip to convert CANBUS to UART to work with their aftermarket controller and that was ready to go other than being delayed by the global chip shortage.

When I got my "spare" Ultra motor from GreenBikekit awhile back it came with the UART. I think you can designate whichever one you prefer Canbus or Uart.
Reasonable price for the motor and I just reprogramed myself from the stock bafang settings. Maybe not a s good as the Archon but not a big difference unless you want to ride specifically on the road and want a tamed down version.
What bike do you have?

Thanks Guys
I have some questions,
From what I have been reading above, this Cancrap is contained in the display and controller?
Can I buy a Uart Display and the internal motor controller and just replace these parts with Uart controller and display, for this Wart Hog MD750 bike,
instead of buying a complete motor?
They seem to be sold out everywhere.............

I have seen both Uart and Can displays, but haven't seen any Uart motor controllers,
so far but I haven't been looking for them, and also found the wiring harness
that fits the Uart parts etc.

I am getting to think I am over my head here.

Thanks,
Don

I'm not certain, but I'm thinking they don't have the same connectors. Jeannette @ California eBike may have sorted it.

No
Thanks Guys
I have some questions,
From what I have been reading above, this Cancrap is contained in the display and controller?
Can I buy a Uart Display and the internal motor controller and just replace these parts with Uart controller and display, for this Wart Hog MD750 bike,
instead of buying a complete motor?
They seem to be sold out everywhere.............

I have seen both Uart and Can displays, but haven't seen any Uart motor controllers,
so far but I haven't been looking for them, and also found the wiring harness
that fits the Uart parts etc.

I am getting to think I am over my head here.

Thanks,
Don
No, doesn't work that way. It's not just the connectors, the canbus motor has internals that will only work with a canbus controller. Short story you can't put a UART controller on a canbus motor without a canbus/UART translation chip between motor and controller. Watt Wagons / Innotrace is working on such a solution for their UART controller to work on canbus motors, but like I said, contact Johnny at Bafang for warranty service, that is by far your simplest solution as your motor / controller is clearly defective if it's running for 5 seconds after you stop pedaling. I suppose if they need to replace the motor under warranty you could ask if they could give you a UART motor replacement but the problem is you would also need to swap out throttle and anything else on the wiring harness with a canbus connector which is going to be a big hassle.

Reactions: rtp
Also, did you buy your Warthog from Bolton or direct from Leili? What did they say regarding your issues with the 5 second overrun? Bolton is partnering with Watt Wagons on a bike and may be an upcoming Watt Wagons dealer, so if you are in their neck of the woods they may be able to upgrade your controller once the canbus aftermarket controller solution is available.

I have been involved with some CANBUS/UART situations. To fully convert you will need:
  • UART Ultra M510 Umbilical
  • UART Display (DPC-18 or 500C are my personal recommendations but it's all user preference)
  • UART Replacement Motor
  • UART Speed Sensor
  • UART Shift Sensor (if your bike has a shift sensor)
Essentially drop the old motor, replace these parts and install the new motor. Unfortunately, the UART and CANBUS controllers for the motor are not compatible. I do agree with the others here and try to reach out the supplier you bought the bike from - it could just be a controller issue. Check that you can get a speed unlocked replacement controller if possible!

Reactions: rtp
Also, did you buy your Warthog from Bolton or direct from Leili? What did they say regarding your issues with the 5 second overrun? Bolton is partnering with Watt Wagons on a bike and may be an upcoming Watt Wagons dealer, so if you are in their neck of the woods they may be able to upgrade your controller once the canbus aftermarket controller solution is available.
Tom & NS
I bought my Wart Hog from Bolton, when I contacted them (Bolton), they replied
it is ALL LOCKED DOWN by Bafang, and they won't unlock/release anything,
except the speed limit, and wheel diameter, that's all you can change and HAS to be done by the bike selling company, thru a special code email from BAFANG etc...........

Which sucks,
HTH's
Don

Yeah, but the 5 second overrun isn't normal, sounds like a warranty issue to me, not necessarily a programming issue. Or do all of the canbus ultra motors have this quirk? First I've heard of anyone with that particular issue. Generally the complaint is the speed limiter and lack of smoothness.

Yeah, but the 5 second overrun isn't normal, sounds like a warranty issue to me, not necessarily a programming issue. Or do all of the canbus ultra motors have this quirk? First I've heard of anyone with that particular issue. Generally the complaint is the speed limiter and lack of smoothness.
I'm with you Tom. That's what I was thinking/saying earlier. Shitty programming aside, if the power is staying on for a noticeable length of time when you stop pedaling, that's a warranty issue that they should want to take care of.

Thanks Guys
I contacted Bolton and they want me to take a video showing the problem,
I am not sure what I am supposed to be showing,
the only thing is the speedometer and maybe I can get my legs to show I am not peddling and maintaining the speed, for that short time.
I know the Garmin GPS will show the speed etc.

And I just got an email and my battery is no good,
it has an "Unbalanced electric core and is junked,",
so Bikonit will have to send me a second battery.

The over all performance of this bike is very twitchy and jerky as for the power end.
I am getting to wonder about this Wart Hog bike, I hope it don't turn out to be a LEMON.........

Tia,
Don

Thanks Guys
I contacted Bolton and they want me to take a video showing the problem,
I am not sure what I am supposed to be showing,
the only thing is the speedometer and maybe I can get my legs to show I am not peddling and maintaining the speed, for that short time.
I know the Garmin GPS will show the speed etc.

And I just got an email and my battery is no good,
it has an "Unbalanced electric core and is junked,",
so Bikonit will have to send me a second battery.

The over all performance of this bike is very twitchy and jerky as for the power end.
I am getting to wonder about this Wart Hog bike, I hope it don't turn out to be a LEMON.........

Tia,
Don
If you have a bike stand... That would be the best way to demonstrate the pedals stopping and the chain ring continuing on.

GR
I don't have a bike stand yet, on the list to buy.
I just have to get some decent weather, look like I am going to get 20mph+,
up to 60 mph+ winds for the next 2-4 days and some rain.

Doing some thinking on this............

Thanks Guys,
Don

Back