Can we have an Honest Discussion Trek Alliant vs Specialized Vado USA?

Rick53

I'll Start By Saying I have Both Trek and Specialized NON E-Bikes : So happy with Both Companies Quality :

I do like Trek Styling Better

I don't currently nor have I ever owned an E-Bike : I see some reports on Frame Breakage with Specialized. Who states lifetime Frame warranty : So for Me that's a Non Issue :

I'd like to Hear from Owners. Anyone can reply if you have some actual Info :

75 NM Vs 90 NM ? Big Deal ?

For those who have purchased either Brand I'd really appreciate your Input for Why you bought what you bought

Based on Videos it appears the Vado is Faster getting to Speed . True ?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT :)

Disclaimer ( I understand 2020 Alliants aren't actually out in the US Market Yet Replies on Last Years or Prior Years Welcomed )

The Allante 8 will be here in my local Trek store next month and I am looking forward to checking it out. I can only compare the Vado to the Supercommuter +7 as I have ridden both of them for a full day. I can tell you that they are both a pleasure to ride so it would come down to price and motor preference. Do you want Bosch or Brose? If they are close for you , chose the one with the best LBS support in your area. I should say that I use 2 or more batteries routinely. The new Allante will allow you to run a 2nd battery so that is something I appreciate. But the Vado has a fork and the Allante does not so really it compares more closely to the Como.

Last edited:
The Allante will be here in my local Trek store next month and I am looking forward to checking it out. I can only compare the Vado to the Supercommuter 7+ as I have ridden both of them for a full day. I can tell you that they are both a pleasure to ride so it would come down to price and motor preference. Do you want Bosch or Brose? If they are close for you , chose the one with the best LBS support in your area.
MY LBS Carries Both Brands : Unfortunately they are Smaller place : They carry a Full line of all the Bikes in both Brands $1000.00 or Less : They have 1 e-bike in Stock : And it's the Verve Which is 20 MPH : Not Interested : They are Great for Service But with sales I think I'll probably have to Travel 100 miles and do a Rental to Try one. I've ridden the Older Commuter 8 I think it was called : When 30 miles in an hour and 30 minutes : I think My Speed average was like 19.5 MPH. It was a blast : I'm more Interested in Finding out how the 75 NW Vs 90 Effects Torque. I assume i does

Definitely think Trek has it for style : IMO they do compared to Most companies in these E-Bikes

Choose based on best local support and which best suits your needs.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who uses his bike 320 days per year. If you cover lots of miles each year, consider this: you've got to change the belt at a recommended interval of 15,000 kms. That's less than 10,000 miles. In my case, that would mean having a dealer send in the drive every 18 months to have the belt replaced. When that happened, I would of course be without a bike for several weeks. As someone who uses his e-bike as his main means of transportation, this is why I've ruled out all Brose systems from my purchase matrix.

You don't have to believe me. See page 9:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I believe that data is for older gen Brose motors (2016 and 2017)
After premature failure of motors, Brose released a new version in 2018 with different electronics and thermal management systems.
Their new Brose S Mag is touted to be much tougher but I have not seen their new technical document.

All LBS are not the same. Some are extraordinary and some are ordinary. That's the case here. It's like an entirely different era of service between the two. I love Specialized bikes but the local dealer for them is extremely difficult to do business with. I will get an Allant or a Rail. Still studying the differences. I'm with you about the 20mph limit. Not sure all Allant models will hit 28 but the one I am considering will. None of the Rail bikes will unfortunately.

I have tested the Specialized COMO a couple times and generally preferred it over the VADO. The main reason was the COMO has a front suspension system. The 4.0 Como was a great ride.

I believe that data is for older gen Brose motors (2016 and 2017)
After premature failure of motors, Brose released a new version in 2018 with different electronics and thermal management systems.
Their new Brose S Mag is touted to be much tougher but I have not seen their new technical document.
But what market share would 9400 miles between services be a problem for? JayVee you rock, impressive criticism!

All LBS are not the same. Some are extraordinary and some are ordinary. That's the case here. It's like an entirely different era of service between the two. I love Specialized bikes but the local dealer for them is extremely difficult to do business with. I will get an Allant or a Rail. Still studying the differences. I'm with you about the 20mph limit. Not sure all Allant models will hit 28 but the one I am considering will. None of the Rail bikes will unfortunately.
I am pretty Mechanical : Although it wasn't My Profession. I have Learned since retiring and having time . I can fix most things . : Since Retiring I've Rebuilt 2 Lawn Tractor Engines, a Chain Saw, Built My own House. Not Subcontracted , BUILT: : I can fix any Gun someone Brings me : And I've been servicing My own Regular Bikes : SO LBS Maintenance isn't a Super concern.

Neither is racking up 15,000 Miles in 18 months or even 100 months. I live in Northern West Michigan along Lake Michigan . It's already in the Mid 40 degrees. Depending on Early or late Spring . The Most I'm Riding is 5-6 months a Year. While I ride daily . I also Golf, Go to the gym etc. I would say I average about 1500 miles a Year . I live in the country : Lots of long rolling hills, Dirt Roads and Graveled Black Top. This Year it rained between April and May 28 days . Plus we had snowfall in Mid May. Didn't really get much Riding in at all until June :

Fitness also isn't a big Concern as I go to the GYM 3/4 days a Week.

My E-Bike Interest is for FUN: For me to base what I buy on a 15,000 mile Belt replacement , at age 64. I might be Dead by Then LOL .

Unless something Really Innovative comes along I'll Probably only Buy 1 E-bike : I have narrowed it Down to The Vado & Allaint . That's what I was hoping to get Feedback For.

Last edited:
One of your points in question was the difference i time getting to speed. I usually ride in slightly rolling hills with couple I may have to stand up to get up In my case I would be slightly more interested which one has more power to get up hills at speed ....more the kind that slow you down enough to shift gears a notch or two maybe save some shifting. Don’t know if you have the rolling hills....

I’m all about torque. My 90 nm Vado flys forward when asked. And there’s no jerking or hesitation. My next bike will have equal (maybe more?) torque.

I’m all about torque. My 90 nm Vado flys forward when asked. And there’s no jerking or hesitation. My next bike will have equal (maybe more?) torque.
This is what I was Questioning : I think Alliant's are 75NM of Torque vs The 90 You mention : It also seems like there are far more people Buying Specialized : Sooo am I right in assuming Vado 3,4,5 all have the same Motor ? It also appears that Vado is more bang for the Buck then Alliant :

I am pretty Mechanical : Although it wasn't My Profession. I have Learned since retiring and having time . I can fix most things . : Since Retiring I've Rebuilt 2 Lawn Tractor Engines, a Chain Saw, Built My own House. Not Subcontracted , BUILT: : I can fix any Gun someone Brings me : And I've been servicing My own Regular Bikes : SO LBS Maintenance isn't a Super concern.

Neither is racking up 15,000 Miles in 18 months or even 100 months. I live in Northern West Michigan along Lake Michigan . It's already in the Mid 40 degrees. Depending on Early or late Spring . The Most I'm Riding is 5-6 months a Year. While I ride daily . I also Golf, Go to the gym etc. I would say I average about 1500 miles a Year . I live in the country : Lots of long rolling hills, Dirt Roads and Graveled Black Top. This Year it rained between April and May 28 days . Plus we had snowfall in Mid May. Didn't really get much Riding in at all until June :

Fitness also isn't a big Concern as I go to the GYM 3/4 days a Week.

My E-Bike Interest is for FUN: For me to base what I buy on a 15,000 mile Belt replacement , at age 64. I might be Dead by Then LOL .

Unless something Really Innovative comes along I'll Probably only Buy 1 E-bike : I have narrowed it Down to The Vado & Allaint . That's what I was hoping to get Feedback For.
Sound like you have plenty of time to do your homework.

Sound like you have plenty of time to do your homework.
Part of doing Homework is Joining a Forum and picking Other peoples brains and experiences : I always think it's rather pointless when someone says Do your own Research : Duh!!!!! Part of finding what Others have run into is Research. Anyone who doesn't want to cheerfully share theirs shouldn't be on a Forum. Why join a Forum and then be miserable towards everyone else : To answer your Question : People that think You have all this extra Time once you retire aren't Retired : You actually seem to have less time :) . LOL

I have tested the Specialized COMO a couple times and generally preferred it over the VADO. The main reason was the COMO has a front suspension system. The 4.0 Como was a great ride.
I believe you are mistaken about which model has front suspension?

I believe you are mistaken about which model has front suspension?
Yes It's the Vado that has suspension The Como is like the trek Verve Styling : Just looked

VADO
235AQnO.jpg

COMO
IP9gtQA.jpg

This is what I was Questioning : I think Alliant's are 75NM of Torque vs The 90 You mention : It also seems like there are far more people Buying Specialized : Sooo am I right in assuming Vado 3,4,5 all have the same Motor ? It also appears that Vado is more bang for the Buck then Alliant :
THe Vado has front suspension and the Trek does not. My question is why you are not comparing the Como and the Trek? This to me is a bigger difference than the motor power. Both motors are great at climbing.

If you get a bike with good suspension you will be able to go places the commuters Como and the Allant fear to tread. If medium rough trails might ever have any appeal you may consider the Powerfly 5 vs Levo hardtail?

Last edited:
Part of doing Homework is Joining a Forum and picking Other peoples brains and experiences : I always think it's rather pointless when someone says Do your own Research : Duh!!!!! Part of finding what Others have run into is Research. Anyone who doesn't want to cheerfully share theirs shouldn't be on a Forum. Why join a Forum and then be miserable towards everyone else : To answer your Question : People that think You have all this extra Time once you retire aren't Retired : You actually seem to have less time :) . LOL

Back