Can the motor be upgraded?

OffDWall

Region
USA
There are lot's of upgrades posted for generic bikes but I wonder if that is available for something like an Aventure? I would love the additional leverage of a 1500W motor for some of the large hills we have here in Central Texas, aka "The Hill Country", as some are very long, but I am not well educated on the electronics of the ebikes. I imagine the stock battery might cover to 1000W, but not so sure about beyond that. Does a smaller battery affect speed, endurance, both, or something else? See, I don't know, but going to a 1000W motor might be worth it if it gave me another 20% of torque. I know they say we have 750's that go into 1000W, but how true is that too? So many questions... Anyone know of a good site for educating yourself on this info?

Hello! I hope I can offer a few bits of information for you.

1. A good site to learn basics of batteries is https://batteryuniversity.com/ this is a site that helped me get some of my education in this field.
2. With 750W and 1000W motor systems, I can say Bafang Motors seem to use the same wiring regardless of the motor being 750W or 1000W. Generally, for Bafang, it is a matter of the motor controller being rated for either.
3. In regards to the battery systems; a smaller battery should not necessarily effect the speed, but it will certainly effect range. When looking at batteries, you want to verify that your units electrically system voltage is matched, say 48V system in this scenario (given that both the motor and motor controller are 48V rated). Many systems will use either a 48V by 25A system, or a 48V by 30A system.
4. Note on battery range, an easy way to determine range on batteries is this following formula: Wh / W ConΦ @ v = h = mi. Watt-Hour / Watt Consistency at speed = hours = miles. Example for 16Ah Battery: 768Wh / 750W @ 20mph = 1.02 or 1 hour = 20 mile
5. Anytime you are trying to demand more power from your system, you will in turn negatively affect the total range. In my experience a 750W and 1000W have enough power for the vast majority of riding, if you have a mid-drive system, ride it like a normal bicycle and use your low gears when climbing (the larger gears on the back cassette) this will reduce the stresses on the motor and help the motor core turn more easily. Pedaling will also help this greatly, instead of solely depending on the throttle.

I hope this information was helpful and wasn't too confusing!

Back