Can I use my XP to go mountain bike trail riding

intohouse

My brother takes his mountain bike on these mountain bike trails near my house that has jumps and the like...

do you see any issue if I use my lectric xp todo this? Will I wreck the bike?

My brother takes his mountain bike on these mountain bike trails near my house that has jumps and the like...

I use mine off road quite frequently. The bike is built like a tank. You will quickly learn what you can and can't do off road. The bike won't get hurt before you do....You may find that the gearing is not low enough...I would suggest you get the 11-34 freewheel though...That helps all lot in the rough stuff.

Paved roads, bikepaths, flat trails best. Lack of suspension makes it a pretty rough ride in MTB country. Just my 2 cents...

I've out about 100 miles on my XP since receiving it three weeks ago. Of those, 20 miles being ridden on trails. I've gone on light duty trails and rocky trails with tree roots. The lack of suspension up front will beat me up some and gives me quite the workout. It climbs hills surprisingly well. You need to carefully select your line, but it's been pretty good so far. I am woried about the bike holding up. It's making a lot more noises from the crank area. The stem and headset looks like it's starting to pull out of the tube. The motor seems to be weakening compared to my first two weeks. Hopefully she holds up, because its a lot of fun.

I have also been lusting over a full suspension emtb, but sadly my wife has vetoed it. As a compromise I bought the air fork. Hope it makes a big difference.

I've out about 100 miles on my XP since receiving it three weeks ago. Of those, 20 miles being ridden on trails. I've gone on light duty trails and rocky trails with tree roots. The lack of suspension up front will beat me up some and gives me quite the workout. It climbs hills surprisingly well. You need to carefully select your line, but it's been pretty good so far. I am woried about the bike holding up. It's making a lot more noises from the crank area. The stem and headset looks like it's starting to pull out of the tube. The motor seems to be weakening compared to my first two weeks. Hopefully she holds up, because its a lot of fun.

I have also been lusting over a full suspension emtb, but sadly my wife has vetoed it. As a compromise I bought the air fork. Hope it makes a big difference.
It sounds like you need to look at why there's weird noices. There's obviously some things that need to be tightened and or adjusted. I have now over 2900km on mine with zero squeaks rattles or clunks. Those noisese you hear are an indication something is not right and not normal...These bikes are tanks and super reliable if you maintain them...And the motor isn't going to get weak in 100 miles. Maybe your just getting used to the power.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to look at why there's weird noices. There's obviously some things that need to be tightened and or adjusted. I have now over 2900km on mine with zero squeaks rattles or clunks. Those noisese you hear are an indication something is not right and not normal...These bikes are tanks and super reliable if you maintain them...And the motor isn't going to get weak in 100 miles. Maybe your just getting used to the power.
The above is my experience to date. I recheck for loosening bolts every other ride. Question, does your bike have a black cover to protect the right crank assembly? I have one in the left side for the cadence sensor, but none on the right. I'm wondering if dirt is getting in there causing part of the noise issues. I have reached out to lectric, and they said not to be concerned with it. I also notice more/different noise when in 6/7th gear, as it's putting side pressure in the chain from the angle. It appears as if the chain may rub the chain wheel at times. I have not adjusted the chain to date. What is your cleaning/lube procedure for your chain? You mention you do a lot of trail riding. Lastly, the headset and stem are concerning, however, I'll be replacing them shortly when I do the air fork conversion. I am concerned the new folding stem will have a similar issue. I have been mulling over doing a BMX or traditional MTB stem and bar set.

What Pass level do you generally ride at? I'm typically 0-2 depending on terrain.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_092317.jpg
    IMG_20200725_092317.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 482
The above is my experience to date. I recheck for loosening bolts every other ride. Question, does your bike have a black cover to protect the right crank assembly? I have one in the left side for the cadence sensor, but none on the right. I'm wondering if dirt is getting in there causing part of the noise issues. I have reached out to lectric, and they said not to be concerned with it. I also notice more/different noise when in 6/7th gear, as it's putting side pressure in the chain from the angle. It appears as if the chain may rub the chain wheel at times. I have not adjusted the chain to date. What is your cleaning/lube procedure for your chain? You mention you do a lot of trail riding. Lastly, the headset and stem are concerning, however, I'll be replacing them shortly when I do the air fork conversion. I am concerned the new folding stem will have a similar issue. I have been mulling over doing a BMX or traditional MTB stem and bar set.

What Pass level do you generally ride at? I'm typically 0-2 depending on terrain.
Can you post a photo of the stem and headset problem you describe where we can offer help to you? If your getting an air fork, you do want to make sure you have a Star Nut installation tool. I didn't have one and I found out the hard way when I had trouble installing the screw that secures the stem to the star nut. The star nut would not stay straight when it was in the tube and I had almost drove it too far down in the steer tube of the bike frame.

I use mostly 1, 2 or no power...4th and 5th for a couple trails to scare myself...Your best bet with the noise in 6 and 7 gear is to watch some videos on tube on how to adjust your derailleur It may just be out of adjustment slightly. I only occasionally check things being loose. I did this once when new and really haven't noticed anything loosening up. I take the chain right off the bike and clean in a jar of gas. Once clean I put the chain in a jar of car oil and soak it. Then wipe it off and put back on the bike. My headset was loose when I got our bikes and I made a tool to remove the threaded collar that has two holes in it on the headset so I could tighten the headset down. If you remove this tin piece that has two holes in it on the headset you can get to the bolt to tighten the headset down if that is the problem. Once I did that it was fine also.

Last edited:

You should like the air fork. I put one on my 26"fattie, works good ( its not a motoX worthy fork) at taking away the jarring. You can air down also.

You should like the air fork. I put one on my 26"fattie, works good ( its not a motoX worthy fork) at taking away the jarring. You can air down also.
I hope so. I come from a motocross/ trail riding background, and unfortunately where I live it's very limited where you can ride legally. While the ebike doesn't give me the same speed thrill, it gives me a greater appreciation/enjoyment with the more technical terrain. I'm hoping the air fork will take some of the sting out my arms, lol. Has anyone attempted drops or small jumps with their bike? I'm curious to know how it would hold up.

I use mostly 1, 2 or no power...4th and 5th for a couple trails to scare myself...Your best bet with the noise in 6 and 7 gear is to watch some videos on tube on how to adjust your derailleur It may just be out of adjustment slightly. I only occasionally check things being loose. I did this once when new and really haven't noticed anything loosening up. I take the chain right off the bike and clean in a jar of gas. Once clean I put the chain in a jar of car oil and soak it. Then wipe it off and put back on the bike. My headset was loose when I got our bikes and I made a tool to remove the threaded collar that has two holes in it on the headset so I could tighten the headset down. If you remove this tin piece that has two holes in it on the headset you can get to the bolt to tighten the headset down if that is the problem. Once I did that it was fine also.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll do that. I plan to do all of the readjustments when I do the fork conversion.

Can you post a photo of the stem and headset problem you describe where we can offer help to you? If your getting an air fork, you do want to make sure you have a Star Nut installation tool. I didn't have one and I found out the hard way when I had trouble installing the screw that secures the stem to the star nut. The star nut would not stay straight when it was in the tube and I had almost drove it too far down in the steer tube of the bike frame.
Thanks for the tip on the tool. I planned on using the socket approach, as Im sure I have one similar in size to the ID in the fork tube. Maybe, I will shell out the $25 for the tool to avoid any complications. How did you set the bottom race on the fork? Did you buy a tool or use a makeshift approach? I was planning on using a PVC pipe to hammer down on. I won't be fixing the current headset issue, as I'm swapping it out pretty soon. Thanks for offering assistance.

Thanks for the tip on the tool. I planned on using the socket approach, as Im sure I have one similar in size to the ID in the fork tube. Maybe, I will shell out the $25 for the tool to avoid any complications. How did you set the bottom race on the fork? Did you buy a tool or use a makeshift approach? I was planning on using a PVC pipe to hammer down on. I won't be fixing the current headset issue, as I'm swapping it out pretty soon. Thanks for offering assistance.

If the bike is pretty new I would leave the lower race and replace the upper. I often tout the the merits of lower end internet D2B bikes to keep costs down for occasional riders. That said, no way would I trust the frame or welds on my Ecotric for serious trail riding that included any "airborne" riding events ( not that I would attempt them at my age). Trail riding on forestry access roads where I live is not only legal but perfect for what my fattie is capable of, safely.

My Lectric is not here yet, but if the folding handlebar stem is similar to the ones I have on my Dahon and other folding bike, you should not be hitting jumps and drops with it. There is so much leverage on the hinge area due to the length of the stem, and so much body weight ends up on the bars when things get rough. There is just not enough metal in that area. Handlebar failures cause really bad wrecks.

If you go BMX-style (no folding stem), and use quality parts, the next weak spot is the frame hinge.

My Lectric is not here yet, but if the folding handlebar stem is similar to the ones I have on my Dahon and other folding bike, you should not be hitting jumps and drops with it. There is so much leverage on the hinge area due to the length of the stem, and so much body weight ends up on the bars when things get rough. There is just not enough metal in that area. Handlebar failures cause really bad wrecks.

If you go BMX-style (no folding stem), and use quality parts, the next weak spot is the frame hinge.
Those are two of my concern areas as well. I wasn't considering jumps and drops when I purchased the bike. The flexibility is what drew me to it. I'm happy enough with the lectric's capabilities.

My input after some on road/light off roading. XP is very sturdy, tank-like. Good on smoother non-paved surfaces but a few times I reverted to my natural instinct to "bunny hop" when approaching bigger rocks or small jumps and it's just a little too heavy. Not much bounce on landing even with fatter tires. The smaller 20" wheel combined with high handlebar height also takes away from some steering stability compared to my traditional mountain bike. Agree with bholio (B&BH) that I wouldn't recommend a long folding handlebar for any serious off road use.

Overall its a capable bike, if you are planning on trail riding frequently I'd agree with others that a fork conversion seems like a good idea

Same experience as the rest. Perfectly fine for gravel, dirt, or fire road type trails. Can get bumpy without suspension - fork and/or suspension seatpost help a lot. Don’t jump it or ride long steep downhills, the folding mechanisms are not meant for that.

My XP showed up a few days ago. After seeing this thing, I know why people are tempted to take it on trails. It is massive, especially compared to a normal folding bike.

I still wouldn't do anything to put undue force on the folding handle bars however.

I actually bought two setups because I couldn't make up my mind at the time. Is a folding handlebar more important to me for my situation or a BMX setup? I'll be going the BMX setup route for the added piece of mind off-road. I should have all of the parts this week to complete the swap.

Yes i lime.the folding capable but that long stem pipe and short handle bar width scares the S out of me at times would lime to see how to change that with out switching the fork for now. Every one i see that changes bars also changes fork. Best of luck.

Back