Can I program the Bafang Ultra 510/620 throttle for full power in all pas levels?

Litebike

Region
USA
I started programming the Bafang Ultra 510/620 with the Eggrider V2. I want the throttle to give full power in every pas level but I don't know how to accomplish that. Right now the throttle power increases with each pas level so there is full power only at pas level 9. Is there a program setting that will yield full throttle power in all pas levels?

On THROTTLE Page set Designated Assist Level to 9
Then on the PAS page set PAS 9 to your desire.
For full throttle....
Current: 100
Speed: 100
Screenshot_20230425-195708_Speeed.jpg

Thanks for that info. The Eggrider app looks different but I currently have the same settings and only get full throttle power in PAS 9.

Thanks for that info. The Eggrider app looks different but I currently have the same settings and only get full throttle power in PAS 9.
Different interface but all doing the same thing.
Post a screen shot of your settings

There are a few possibilities/functions with the EggRider for Ultra that are different than other Bafang config tools, especially compared to BBS config tools. I'm wondering if perhaps you have something going on with OffRoad and OnRoad settings that is giving you results you're not expecting.

First, you should make sure that your EggRider is set up to actually change controller settings. This is the "Bafang switch mode" on Display Settings being set to "Live Data And Settings." If it's "Only Live Data" then any setting changes don't get stored.

Second, note that the EggRider supports different settings in OffRoad vs OnRoad for the Basic, Pedal, and Throttle pages. So if you're changing settings for OffRoad but you're riding in OnRoad, you're using different settings. You can switch between OffRoad and OnRoad on the settings pages using the top right button. Even then, if you're working in OffRoad mode you need to be sure that you are actually riding in OffRoad mode. There are 2 Display Settings for this:
  • Road Restrict should be set to No if you want to be able to access OffRoad mode
  • Startup With Road - could be set to No or Yes. Setting to No will keep the last mode you used when you startup EggRider again.
Third, be sure you're hitting "Read Controller" whenever you go to a new page, and "Write Controller" before you leave that page. This includes the first time you start up EggRider and go to a setting page.

Finally, the Mode button may be set to switch OnRoad/OffRoad mode on a short press or a long press with the Mode Button option on the Display Settings page, and the display updates to show what mode you're in. Depending on your settings also, which mode you're in may not be obvious as the "Main Screen V2" doesn't display the words anymore, it highlights the Assist level differently.

These settings give me full throttle no matter what Pedal assist level I'm currently riding in:
Display.jpg
Basic OffRoad.jpg
Throttle OffRoad(BL).jpg

Attachments

• Throttle OffRoad(BL).jpg
    Throttle OffRoad(BL).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 100
Thanks again Smorg. Your settings worked and now there's full throttle power in all 9 PAS levels. There seems to be something else going on with torque settings though. I can read and write the torque values but there is no "saving" confirmation on the Eggrider after writing. I do get a message on my phone app saying the write was "OK" but the actual pedaling torque doesn't feel like there is any motor power increase when pedaling hard. There is a "saving" confirmation on the display in all of the other tabs.

Thanks again Smorg. Your settings worked and now there's full throttle power in all 9 PAS levels. There seems to be something else going on with torque settings though. I can read and write the torque values but there is no "saving" confirmation on the Eggrider after writing. I do get a message on my phone app saying the write was "OK" but the actual pedaling torque doesn't feel like there is any motor power increase when pedaling hard. There is a "saving" confirmation on the display in all of the other tabs.
... and that's why I don't use the Eggrider much.
It's a known glitchy p.o.s

The EggRider display itself should be showing the write operation as well as your phone screen.

One way to check that the write works is to screen grab your settings, hit "Write Controller," then change a couple settings, and then hit "Read Controller." If the settings change back to what you wrote, then it's probably working fine.

To debug that lack of a power increase when pedaling harder, we're going to need:
  • A screen grab of your Torque and Basic tab settings
  • A description as best you can of the circumstances in which you're increasing pedal pressure. Things like road speed, what gear, approximate pedal cadence, and about how hard you're pushing.
I've found the EggRider to be a great addition to my ride. It's not only good for tweaking parameters since you can iterate quickly with changes and then riding to feel the effects, that it's a small unit means I use it as my PAS level control, and have my phone mounted front and center on the handlebars for a large display that I can toggle over to RideWithGPS as desired. What I described up thread aren't bugs or glitches, but subtleties in how the EggRider works. It's pretty flexible, which leads to some complexity that obviously isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
OK thanks, I will try that asap. I have the settings to close the Eggrider after 2 hours. After it shuts off, when I turn it back on the PAS level reverts to 0 and does not acknowledge or control the other levels with the up/down buttons. It is stuck a 0 PAS until I open the app and re-read and re-write each page, even though the display shows the correct previous settings.

OK thanks, I will try that asap. I have the settings to close the Eggrider after 2 hours. After it shuts off, when I turn it back on the PAS level reverts to 0 and does not acknowledge or control the other levels with the up/down buttons. It is stuck a 0 PAS until I open the app and re-read and re-write each page, even though the display shows the correct previous settings.
Remember there are two things here: One is the EggRider itself, the other is the phone App. And then there's the Bluetooth connection between them.
If you're letting the EggRider device shut down while keeping the App open, when you restart the EggRider, it doesn't necessarily auto-connect to the still-runningApp, and even when/if you manually connect it, the App doesn't auto Read Controller. To test the Write Controller function please follow the steps I outlined in my previous post.

I was trying to figure things out while riding yesterday and it ended up very badly. When I first turned the Eggrider on there was no throttle response or PAS levels. Nothing worked on the display until I opened the phone app. The app opened with an error message saying it could not connect to the Eggrider but the Eggrider did work after opening the app and I was then able to use the throttle and PAS. All buttons then worked correctly and the previous setting were restored.
As I was using the throttle on level ground in PAS level 3, suddenly everything shut off! The Eggrider display went blank and there was no motor response at all. The Eggrider was completely dead and would not even turn back on. The battery had over 75% charge too. After the Eggrider would not turn on, I tried reconnecting the original Bafang display but that was now dead too! I think the Eggrider fried the controller but I have no clue what happened. The controller itself is inside the bike frame. I will need to remove the motor just to access it and I don't know how to trouble shoot it, so I might just have to replace the controller and trash the Eggrider.

I was trying to figure things out while riding yesterday and it ended up very badly. When I first turned the Eggrider on there was no throttle response or PAS levels. Nothing worked on the display until I opened the phone app. The app opened with an error message saying it could not connect to the Eggrider but the Eggrider did work after opening the app and I was then able to use the throttle and PAS. All buttons then worked correctly and the previous setting were restored.
As I was using the throttle on level ground in PAS level 3, suddenly everything shut off! The Eggrider display went blank and there was no motor response at all. The Eggrider was completely dead and would not even turn back on. The battery had over 75% charge too. After the Eggrider would not turn on, I tried reconnecting the original Bafang display but that was now dead too! I think the Eggrider fried the controller but I have no clue what happened. The controller itself is inside the bike frame. I will need to remove the motor just to access it and I don't know how to trouble shoot it, so I might just have to replace the controller and trash the Eggrider.
I can't say for certain but I don't think the Eggrider fried the controller.
It is a glitchy p.o.s. in my opinion but I think it not a murderer.
I'd start from the beginning and check all connections as it could be as simple as that.
I'm not positive but I do believe this diagram applies to the Ultra as well.
version2.jpg

I was trying to figure things out while riding yesterday and it ended up very badly.
First thing I'd try is to unplug, wait a bit, then replug the battery.

Second thing is to examine all your wiring for breaks and abrasions, especially where the wires enter the frame. I had a some abrasion at a metal grommet that eventually cut through a wire, causing weird problems and then eventually frying both the motor controller and display since the metal grommet created a short between a couple of wires.

I have sometimes seen the EggRider's buttons not be inoperative unless a phone app is connected. I haven't investigated it further since I always have the phone app connected when I ride.

Immobilizer
NO LOCK
Default behavior, no action taken.
LOCKED LEVEL 0 (CONNECT WITH APP TO UNLOCK)
Display will always start locked in assist level 0. You have to connect with the mobile app to unlock to be able
to change the assist level or mode profile.
This is intended to cut-off the motor until connected with the mobile app. This setting will also be set if
display is locked from dashboard and then power off but it has to be expressly disabled from settings (on
dashboard can be disabled only temporary)
Check the Immobilizer settings, if you have it set to anything other than NO LOCK, I wonder what happens if you loose bluetooth connection while riding. As suggested, pull the battery for a bit, check your connections then try again.

I started programming the Bafang Ultra 510/620 with the Eggrider V2. I want the throttle to give full power in every pas level but I don't know how to accomplish that. Right now the throttle power increases with each pas level so there is full power only at pas level 9. Is there a program setting that will yield full throttle power in all pas levels?
I only wish my Ultra was set up like this, my throttle is full power in all levels and i am not a fan, eats up so much juice even if im just using throttle once in a while and also puts a ton of wear and tear on my cassette. What bike model do you own?

I only wish my Ultra was set up like this, my throttle is full power in all levels and i am not a fan, eats up so much juice even if im just using throttle once in a while and also puts a ton of wear and tear on my cassette. What bike model do you own?
I get full power in any PAS, but I don't feel its using any more or less power because of that. You can see when and how much it's pulling with the watt meter, and my throttle is super progressive. I can add a tiny bit, or everything available. In my case, how much power that throttle uses is about your thumb and what you are asking the bike to do when using it....

In any case, do we know if this motor is a UART based motor, or is it a CANBUS?

I agree with Mr. Hicks....
Isn't your throttle variable with the ability to feather in 50w and progressively increase to the maximum?
You may have the Throttle Start Current set too high or the Start and End Voltages with a narrow range.

Screenshot_20230425-195708_Speeed.jpg

Last edited:
I get full power in any PAS, but I don't feel its using any more or less power because of that. You can see when and how much it's pulling with the watt meter, and my throttle is super progressive. I can add a tiny bit, or everything available. In my case, how much power that throttle uses is about your thumb and what you are asking the bike to do when using it....

In any case, do we know if this motor is a UART based motor, or is it a CANBUS?
My motor is a UART based Ultra but it is completely stock, i have never altered any parameters, you touch the thumb throttle and it is nearly instant full power!
I just avoid using throttle altogether on that bike, maybe ill take a peak inside and try to tame things a little.

I agree with Mr. Hicks....
Isn't your throttle variable with the ability to feather in 50w and progressively increase to the maximum?
You may have the Throttle Start Current set too high or the Start and End Voltages with a narrow range.

View attachment 154379
maybe i will take a peak this weekend and find out, pretty sure i still have one those bafang cables lying around.

Back