Can I do this?

richamor

Region
USA
I have an Aventon Soltera. Nice bike even with its flaws. I also have a Specialized Pitch. Great bike even without the “e” part.
I’m thinking of combining the two. Take the hydraulic breaks, 10 speed trigger cassette, and front suspension from the Pitch and putting them on the Soltera. Maybe the crank as well. I know I would need to do something about the motor cutout switches when braking and shifting. Otherwise I’m confused. I know a lot of things and am an electrician and mechanic by trade. But all I know about bicycles is how to ride one.
So my question is….Is what I want to do feasible?

As as for why? I don’t really ride the Pitch anymore and no one wants to give me anything for it.

I have an Aventon Soltera. Nice bike even with its flaws. I also have a Specialized Pitch. Great bike even without the “e” part.
I’m thinking of combining the two. Take the hydraulic breaks, 10 speed trigger cassette, and front suspension from the Pitch and putting them on the Soltera. Maybe the crank as well. I know I would need to do something about the motor cutout switches when braking and shifting. Otherwise I’m confused. I know a lot of things and am an electrician and mechanic by trade. But all I know about bicycles is how to ride one.
So my question is….Is what I want to do feasible?

As as for why? I don’t really ride the Pitch anymore and no one wants to give me anything for it.
Changing the cassette may work assuming you have a Shimano type hub, but the 10-cog cassette may not fit a 7-cog Shimano Type hub, 10-cogs, may be too wide. Try that part of your swap first. If its a 7-Speed Freewheel it won't work.

I assuming you have cadence sensing? The Hydraulic brakes should transfer. I run a mid-drive Bafang Ultra without brake cut-offs, I have an Aventon Level with brake cut-offs, no problem. You just need to stop pedaling when you brake. Just be careful. You should eventually get some cut-offs. A mid-drive with torque sensing and no cut-offs reacts differently (safer) than a rear hub with cadence sensor no cut-offs.
You don't need to worry about cut-offs when shifting on a rear drive as there is no stress on the chain/derailleur like on a mid-drive.

Derailleur swap should work as well as the trigger shifter.

Don't know about your crank or chainring.

You'll need to swap chains.

Good luck

The front fork is probably the biggest thing. I like the front suspension and miss it on the Aventon.

The front fork is probably the biggest thing. I like the front suspension and miss it on the Aventon.
Yeah, my first ebike (DIY) had no front suspension. I lasted a day like that, had to get at least a front suspension fork. Now I have full suspension and would not ride without.

Reactions: rtp
The Aventon Soltera, based on price, is probably the common but popular 7 speed Shimano 14-34 freewheel. A cassette won't fit. Different mounting system.
The forks look like 1 1/8" threadless on both bikes. As long as the stem length is the same, they can swap. If one is longer, the shorter one may not have enough material to engage the collar when moved to the longer frame. Depends on your risk tolerance. I have none, when it involves the fork coming off.

I think you are a bit short of bicycle experience to possibly complete the task, but if you are okay with the possibility of a couple piles of parts and no eBike at the end, call it a learning experience and have at it.

I think you are a bit short of bicycle experience to possibly complete the task, but if you are okay with the possibility of a couple piles of parts and no eBike at the end, call it a learning experience and have at it.
Agree 100%

If it was me, the short answer would be no. More trouble than it’s worth, and you’ll likely spend more $ than the old bike is worth.

Well, if you have the time, it's not much money, but taking a bigger view, I think it's a shame to gut the Specialized. Two years from now, the Pitch might be worth more than the Solera,
Why not buy hydraulic brakes and retrofit to the Aventon. You can start with the zoom HB100 cable-hydraulic caliper which feel great. When they fail, and they will from leaks, go for Shimano full hydraulics or start with them,
You can buy a coil spring fork. Prices have gone up. several years ago, I got the RST Capa, a cheap but good enough fork for the street, for $69USD and the price is almost 2X higher. Adding suspension fork to a bike will raise the front end about 4" and the middle about 2". If a bike is on the cusp of being too tall, it becomes too tall, You will need to get a longer kickstand anyway.
The suspension forks are nice when I roll down the grade from my house and cross a curb, After that, where I ride, the pavement is smooth. The only reason I get them is they let me upgrade the front fork to disks.

fork coming off definitely not good
pile of parts and no ebike also not good
more $$$ ditto
raising the frame not good since its already borderline too tall.
A shame to gut the Pitch definitely true. A great bike! but seldom ridden.

So I guess the short answer to the question is no. Possible?? maybe. Practical? No.

Thanks all👍

Back