Cadence

grench

So I have been wondering about pedal cadence since one of the groups I ride with focuses on maintaining a pre ride lower limit. During this ride all the riders maintained at least an 80 rpm cadence. I have not had a cadence sensor so I bought the Wahoo cadence and speed sensor and installed it on my ST1. As it turns out my cadence average is only 71rpm. I'm not sure I can maintain much higher. Do any of the rest of you monitor cadence? It is funny how watching cadence forces you to use the gears.

Thoughts??

Any of us who have come from a manually pedaled bike are very sensitive to cadence. I have found if you lower your sensitivity value to 30-40 you will develop a cadence that will be close to that of a manual pedaled bike . This is a great advantage to helping you develop a consistence pedal stroke throughout the full 360 degree rotation which will help eliminate the surging effect that many riders blame on the bike, it's not the bike, it's the inconsistence pedal stroke.

Any of us who have come from a manually pedaled bike are very sensitive to cadence. I have found if you lower your sensitivity value to 30-40 you will develop a cadence that will be close to that of a manual pedaled bike . This is a great advantage to helping you develop a consistence pedal stroke throughout the full 360 degree rotation which will help eliminate the surging effect that many riders blame on the bike, it's not the bike, it's the inconsistence pedal stroke.
Which code is sensitivity? What is your cadence on flat ground? Do you try to maintain the same when climbing or accelerating?

Sensitivity code on a ST-1 is 1004. You can set from 10 to 90 value. I use 40. I try to keep my cadence between 75 - 80. My cadence climbing, esp. on a steep grade (6% or more) is usually a little lower than my goal. You should try to keep as close to your goal as possible. Same with accelerating, gear lower as you go faster to maintain the same cadence. Safe riding.

I went for a casual ride and recored cadence. I am definitely a slow spinner.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.PNG
    IMG_0742.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 255
Cadence is what makes you feel good.
An inconsistent pedal stroke is NOT the cause of the surging problem, and suggesting it is goes all the way back to original new owner who could not believe it was a characteristic of stromers or ebikes in general. He was right, it was a quirk in torque sensor or some software issue that was fixed by stromer dealers as needed.

Cadence becomes more important on unicycles. Not the speed, but the act itself. They don't coast.

Back