Buying a used ebike- Easy Motion Neo 29er

Should I buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NateM

Found a Easy Motion Neo 29er (2014) with 2000 miles on it for $1500. The owner says it is in excellent condition. I am very interested but 2000 miles scares me. Just curious to hear if you think its worth buying?
This would be my ebike so I don't know alot about the longevity of ebikes, how long different components last, how much they would cost to replace, etc. Any help I could get would be great.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the mileage as much as the 3 year old battery. Figure in the cost of battery replacement as part of the purchase price. (Unless the battery was replaced within the last year).

Once you add in the battery cost, then compare that bike to others.

BH literature reckons that their batteries are good for 30 000 km, I think 2000 miles is about 3200km so theoretically there should still be a bit of life in the battery, though they do also degrade with time.

Or perhaps it wasn't stored properly charged for a length of time which is bad also. If you can have the battery tested by someone that knows that they are doing and it checks out along with the regular operation of the bike in general it probably isn't a bad deal but you should still offer less just because he might take it!

Good points, @JRA & @Berry78; like the negotiating tips too!

@NateM, ask the owner if they will allow you to take the bike (with an appropriate deposit or owner goes with you) to a reputable ebike shop for a check over by a tech who's knowledgeable about Easy Motion bikes. Call ahead to the shop to see if they can schedule a time for you. I am also concerned about the age/amount of miles on this bike. If it's a 2014, the actual manufacture time may be in 2013 (so 3 years old) which isn't bad but also not really brand new. Be sure to test ride the bike on some hills and check the acceleration to get a feel for how well this motor & battery perform. BH ebikes are well built, so this could be a good buy, but work the price for certain.

Good points, @JRA & @Berry78; like the negotiating tips too!

@NateM, ask the owner if they will allow you to take the bike (with an appropriate deposit or owner goes with you) to a reputable ebike shop for a check over by a tech who's knowledgeable about Easy Motion bikes. Call ahead to the shop to see if they can schedule a time for you. I am also concerned about the age/amount of miles on this bike. If it's a 2014, the actual manufacture time may be in 2013 (so 3 years old) which isn't bad but also not really brand new. Be sure to test ride the bike on some hills and check the acceleration to get a feel for how well this motor & battery perform. BH ebikes are well built, so this could be a good buy, but work the price for certain.

What is the best way to store the battery ?

I will not be using my neo race for the next 4 months and dont want to damage the battery .

Thanks
Ian

Ian, keep it in a warmish place and charge it once a month while not using it. Do not just leave it plugged in to the charger the whole time however.

If you're concerned about forgetting to charge that battery on a monthly or at least every couple of months, get a programmable digital timer, @Buderim, and plug it into a surge protector. Set the timer to come on once a month for about an hour or less to top off the battery but not overcharge it. Test your setup to make sure it's actually operating the way you want it to; a handy way to put the charging on auto pilot when you're not riding or out of town. JRA is right, don't leave the battery where it is very cold; however, store at room temp not next to a furnace or hot water heater either.

If you're concerned about forgetting to charge that battery on a monthly or at least every couple of months, get a programmable digital timer, @Buderim, and plug it into a surge protector. Set the timer to come on once a month for about an hour or less to top off the battery but not overcharge it. Test your setup to make sure it's actually operating the way you want it to; a handy way to put the charging on auto pilot when you're not riding or out of town. JRA is right, don't leave the battery where it is very cold; however, store at room temp not next to a furnace or hot water heater either.

Thanks for the reply , I am in Queensland Australia which has a similar climate to Florida , I will be away over our summer so the battery certainly wont get cold,

Just to clarify I leave it fully charged and then top it up of one hour a month and thats it !!!

from the BH Evo manual

What should I do when I am not going to use the bicycle for a long period of time?

A charge equivalent to 70-80% of the full capacity is recommended before storing for a long time period. Likewise, its charge level shall be supervised every three months and shall be maintained above 20% of its full capacity.

Back