Burley Single Wheel Trailer

Well I went and did the deed today. REI is having their big sale where you can take 20% off one Item. I bought the Burley Coho XC for my Ultra. I will now be able to haul all my gear in the cart instead of trying to cram it all on my bike. Soon as I get the cart I will take some shots of how it looks. Should fit right in with the massive Ultra. https://www.rei.com/product/143076/burley-coho-xc-trailer

Nice trailer. Looks like you can get quite a full load in this high capacity unit. Happy hauling.:p

So how do you like it so far? I just ordered one, and I've had the BOB Yak and also still have the Surly Ted trailers. I'm pretty stoked on this one though.

More specifically, what is the floor made of? It looks like plastic from the pictures. Is it solid? (Every Burley I've seen had a fabric floor)

Are the "Burley Ballz" static? Or do they rotate? On bearings? What material are the ballz made of, Delrin? Do they require grease?

Yes its hard plastic that is riveted to the frame. Its pretty sturdy stuff. I see why they did this to keep the weight down on the trailer. I have not had a chance to take it out yet but soon as the weather is better I will. The Trailer is super easy to pack up into itself and store as well. the tool less design is pretty sick.

I have a 190QR on my rear so I got the 190QR Burley axel. I haven't even checked if they spin or not. I don't think they do though. Make sure you order the correct rear axle if you dont have the size that it comes with it which I believe is the smaller axle.

Riveted, huh? Dang, I was planning on using the plastic as a template to replace the flooring with some treated plywood or something. Oh well, I hope it holds up to my abuse.

It'll live on a "normal" sized 135mm rear spacing, so the one that it comes with should work okay. I just hope they'll live up to heavy use, and if they don't spin, it might become an expensive wear part.

you can drill out the rivets, transfer pattern to whatever material you like, then replace the fastening with whatever works best...

Well I went and did the deed today. REI is having their big sale where you can take 20% off one Item. I bought the Burley Coho XC for my Ultra. I will now be able to haul all my gear in the cart instead of trying to cram it all on my bike. Soon as I get the cart I will take some shots of how it looks. Should fit right in with the massive Ultra. https://www.rei.com/product/143076/burley-coho-xc-trailer

Where's the report you promised. And pictures. 😠

I've got a bicycle which I've taken everything off except the rear wheel and it's been sitting around now but I still haven't figured out exactly how to make it into a Piccolo, attaching it to ebike using the steering tube somehow. I wouldn't mind buying the attaching bits if I knew what would work.
Maybe it's better to just buy a cheap version of Piccolo. I don't know how the large rear wheel on the bike I have will work, either.
Small wheel seems to be the choice makers use...but maybe that's just because they are for kids. ???

I tend to agree, that's why I converted a Burley Piccolo to cargo!
The Piccolo is even better in my view (having never used either) than the Coho because it comes up high. The best looking trailer I've seen is the Tout Terrain Mule and it goes right to the seat post to connect.
For some reason it seems almost all of the cargo or ride along bike trailers are discontinued or out of stock.

Last edited:
now we're talkin'...
That's an interesting approach in that instructables.

Here's a closeup of the Piccolo hitch. It's a bit over-built but I guess if you're hauling a kid around...

piccalo hitch.jpg

It requires a special rack but I wanted to be able to use it on different bikes so I made an adapter, this one lets me hook the trailer to my Evelo.

piccolo hitch print.jpg

Here it's mounted to the Orion, so far the velcro straps have worked well enough.

orion printed hitch.jpg

Here it is loaded with cans and bottles to be recycled.
loadedup.jpg

Back