Bulls Iconic Evo TR1 SPEED 2021 review

Don’t get this bike or the delite if you want to carry it 3 flights of stairs everyday or else you’ll hate your life. The Vado SL is a much better choice for that situation. And of course Specialized is a Bay Area company so you can find support for it anywhere not just the new wheel.

they were able to update the software in the end 😀 and you don’t really need a bulls expert there so long as you know the exact bike you want they can help you. For all the Bosch tech this forum is probably a better place to ask questions But of course the BC is fine for any pure bicycle related stuff that’s not Bosch related. The bike is still fun but it hasn’t become any more nimble. I have no problem taking it over any potholes on the SF streets so in that regard the full suspension is great but the Vado SL is a pretty cool bike and with a suspension seatpost and the future shock might suit your needs better

Thank you, hkat, for getting back to me. An extra 20 lbs doesn't sound like a lot more, but it suppose it's more than 50% more weight than a 35 lb bike. It's been a while since I've done any lifting, I'm seriously detrained, and I certainly don't want to hate my life. I'm still curious about the Bulls, but I'll proceed with caution.

Part of my challenge is that I'm not sure if what I'll really use is a nice analog bike with a little extra help (the Vado SL) that's great for exercise and fun on roads and bike paths, or a more sturdy e-bike with all the bells and whistles that I'll use in place of a car for everywhere I'd want to go (a bike like this one). It'd be a shame to have some stairs make that decision for me. But you're coming from a place of experience.

Glad to hear that BC is working better for you. I'll give them a visit to check this bike out, just because it looks like so much fun. But I think you're right, I'll probably discover that the Vado SL is a better fit.

Thanks, again. Keep us posted on your adventures with the Bulls. :)

View attachment 62471

Hi all,

I picked up a Bulls Iconic Speed a few days ago and wanted to post my thoughts on the bike. This is my 2nd ebike (my first being the GoCycle GX) which I also still love and see as being my daily commuter once we get back to normal office lives.

The Bulls Iconic is a very different bike from the Gocyle. It is a full suspension bike and so much more beefier. I was debating between the Riese and Muller Delite Rohloff HS and the Bulls bike and talked myself of the ledge and decided not to get the the R&M. The big reasons for not getting the R&M for me were wait time (3-5 months wait here in SF so I'd only be getting the bike for next year since it'll be winter here by then), bike theft (I live in SF where there is rampant bike theft that the local authorities do nothing about, while losing a $6K bike isn't easy if it were to happen, losing a $12K bike that I waited 5 months to get would kill me) and honestly I'm thinking of this bike as a 1-2 year fun purchase. Ebike technology is evolving at such a fast pace now that I know in a couple of years I'll want the latest and greatest that we haven't even seen yet. While the Europeans have a big head start due to the local market demands for a while, I fully anticipate the Americans getting into the ebike space now and expect a ton of new development especially in the throttled ebike world where the Europeans dont really want to compete.

Purchase:
I'll start with my purchasing experience which was at a local shop in the city of San Francisco and boy was it a let down. The person I was working with had no idea what the bike was, the features it had and even asking them to put the latest firmware on the bike was met with blank stares. I still haven't gotten the f/w updated since "the guy" that can do it only works on Sundays. The bike was also not fitted for me (saddle, stems, height), I had to do everything myself once I got home, the only thing the shop did for me was set the suspension sag but even that was done when I came back to the shop since I had left my Abus keys there. Speaking of Abus keys, the bike shop had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them if they could order more Abus locks for me with this key code. They said "contact Abus". Thankfully Propel offers purchase of more keys from their website with the key code so that is the route I ended up going and purchased another $500 worth of keys from Propel (could have been this local bike shop if they knew what they were doing).
So overall really disappointed in the purchase experience and tbh no bike shops that I've been have ever wowed with service (even the Gocycle purchase was ok from a different shop) which is another reason I don't really want to be dropped $12K large for a R&M at other shops and expecting Bentley level service.

Bike:

This review is really about the bike so let me start by saying this thing a beast to ride. Its big and beefy which is definately the opposite of nimble and light. I do however love the full suspension. This thing eats up the potholes and really anything city streets throw at it with ease. While I'm sure the Rohloff would get me up the steep SF hills even easier, this bike did fine and never really left me out of breath or peddling hard just to survive and not fall.
This bike is heavy though and its sometime hard to quickly turn and maneuver sometimes especially in tight corners. Court in one of his comments said the R&M Delite is even heavier than this bike which I can't even imagine. The Superdelite must be something else altogether then and at that point I think we're really stretching the boundaries of electric bike and light motorbike.
What I have learnt is the next bike I want is something more nimbler, more fun to play around with while still having some suspension. Many people in Europe use these bikes to replace cars and that really isn't my intention (or I would imagine the intention of a lot of people from North America). While car ownership might be on the decline here for me atleast ebikes are still for having fun or used for short commutes (on the Gocycle).

Components:

The biggest seller for me with the Bulls was the Gen 4 Performance Line Bosch motor. The only other bike that is full suspension and High Speed like this at this price point that I know of is the Moustache Friday and honestly I think that bike uses slightly better components (better derailleur), but its not sold here locally in SF just down in Sothern California by Propel. Which meant the only other competition for this bike would have been the R&M Delite HS and I've talked about why I passed on that bike. The shocks on the Bulls are great, the bike stem adjustment is awesome. I moved it to a more upright position and its fun to ride like that. The tires are NOT the Schwable Super Moto X as described on their website. The bike I got came with Supero All Ground L7 which seems similar to the Schwable one with puncture protection which was surprising to me but not a deal breaker. I do love the 27.5" size of the tires. So much bigger than my 20" Gocycle tires :)
The rear rack is a bit custom, I like the fact that its compact but it doesn't fit a trunk bag as is and needs an extra accessory purchase which I think looks a bit ridiculous and I think I'll keep hitting it if attached when mounting the bike, so I might just end up using a pannier. The front fender I think is rattling quite a bit and I think I might either just remove it completely since I don't really need it (no rain riding for me) . I also appreciate the fact that they put the Bosch Powertube 625 on this bike. R&M just started doing that this month on the delite as well so that was cool of them to do for this bike.
I love the dropper seat post and use it more than I should in the stop and go traffic here in the city!
I'm a bit disappointed there isn't a proper chainguard and according to the bike shop can't be retrofit since this is an all suspension bike. For a commuter bike, I would imagine people not wanting to get their pants greasy but its not that big a deal for me since I wont be using it for commuting, but it does seem like an odd choice on this HS bike.
I also don't love all the stickers all over the bike. I get that this is common for most bikes, but the classier ones these days (R&M, Stromer, Moustache) go easy on the stickers and let their paint work shine. I think I might just peel some of them off if I can I think with a heat gun. We'll see if I do that or not. I do like the Matt Black paint on the bike but its a shame much of it is covered in gaudy stickers.
By far however the biggest disappointment for me on the bike is the Purion display. I can't believe Bulls put a Purion on a $6K "SUV" bike. At a minimum they should have done Intuvia. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Nyon display retrofit later this year so I'm not totally mad but its still an extra cost that shouldn't have to be the case here.

Overall:

I do like the bike and I think I'll be using it to explore the city more now that we're still in shelter in place. For people who want a car replacement I can see this bike working well. You feel more confident on the road sharing space with cars and the High Speed aspect of the bike is so much fun. I've seen cars get startled when they see me keeping up with them on streets in SF, though I do think it can be a bit dangerous as well so I think I'll still stick to 20mph or less for most of my riding. The Bosch motor is great and even on this derailleur set can get me up SF's steep hills. I see myself having quite a bit of fun on this for the next 1-2 years if it doesn't get stolen before then :)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask away and I'll be happy to answer them :)

View attachment 62472

View attachment 62473
How do you buy this bike with the upgraded display. The early reviews hype how nice the display is. Come to find out $5500 gets you an afterthought?

How do you buy this bike with the upgraded display. The early reviews hype how nice the display is. Come to find out $5500 gets you an afterthought?

You can get a Kiox or Nyon display retrofitted by your dealer if you want.

Bulls also has a new hardtail bike which is pretty similar in specs to this one and will be releasing next month in the US - https://www.bullsbikesusa.com/urban-evo-10-diamond.html
With a suspension seatpost that could be a good option too.

Took a ferry to angel island today to test the bike on a fire road and it did great. These CST Supero tires held up really well on the dirt road.

I also made a couple of changes to the bike.

1. Added a Brooks Saddle
2. Got the Abus Bordo keyed alike lock from Propel and mounted it to the bottle cage bosses in the bottle. This alarm lock is great and no rattles after being mounted there
3. I really liked the Fidlock/mokeylink bottle and used their Uni base to wrap it around the stem. Looks kinda like the Riese and Muller fabric bottles I think and works fairly well.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.29.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.29.02 PM.png

Thank you, hkat, for getting back to me. An extra 20 lbs doesn't sound like a lot more, but it suppose it's more than 50% more weight than a 35 lb bike. It's been a while since I've done any lifting, I'm seriously detrained, and I certainly don't want to hate my life. I'm still curious about the Bulls, but I'll proceed with caution.

Part of my challenge is that I'm not sure if what I'll really use is a nice analog bike with a little extra help (the Vado SL) that's great for exercise and fun on roads and bike paths, or a more sturdy e-bike with all the bells and whistles that I'll use in place of a car for everywhere I'd want to go (a bike like this one). It'd be a shame to have some stairs make that decision for me. But you're coming from a place of experience.

Glad to hear that BC is working better for you. I'll give them a visit to check this bike out, just because it looks like so much fun. But I think you're right, I'll probably discover that the Vado SL is a better fit.

Thanks, again. Keep us posted on your adventures with the Bulls. :)

cant you just use walk it up steps in walk mode?

I just wanted to mention, I'm loving the tires on this thing. At first I was a little dissapointed they didn't come with Schwable Super Moto X but recently I ran over some broken glass and nails the other day and didn't get a flat and have been considering adding a Tannus liner to the tire but then I did some research on the tire and realized it already has all that protection built in.

These CST tires come with L7 protection which I can confirm really does work. No tannus liner needed I think! - https://csttires.eu/pages/technique

Nice full suspension commuter. Very good choice. Wish I had that bike while vacationing in that region in SF/ Sausalito last year instead of taking tour buses etc. Looks like the perfect ride for getting around. Love the background in your images. Ride safe!

I have not taken it on anything more than a dirt path / fire road so I can't comment on real off road manners just yet but I can tell you so far it has been extremely stable - I feel very comfortable at high speed and on dirt... I am certain it can take anything curb height without complaint. I live in the city but also wanted the option to go on trails to the backcountry -that was a factor in my choice too. I am surprised there are not more options for full suspension bikes that can go anywhere.

I got my Bulls TR1 Speed Thanksgiving. I wanted to put a few miles on before I posted. Did a few hundred and love the bike.

it feels like it was made for me. I rarely use Sport orbTurbo except when I want to have a little fun. The bike is so easy to maneuver, I thought at 60 pounds( 27.16kg) it would have been difficult.

it has all the appointments I wanted, I changed the display to accommodate my cell phone for read outs and music.

I wanted a bike I can be aggressive with on and off road, but I did not want it to replace my Cannondale Jekyll mountain bik.

This bike is the absolute best purchase I have ever made regarding bicycles. The only thing I will change are my pedals, I will get OneUp Aluminum “oil Slick”.

Last edited:
Agree with above impressions after several hundred miles. I feel lucky to have found this bike with all the other options out there.
Top end speed increased somewhat, and traveling just below 30 mph is easy in eco and tour modes.

Watch small plastic fender ends and battery cover as they can come loose.

Agree with above impressions after several hundred miles. I feel lucky to have found this bike with all the other options out there.
Top end speed increased somewhat, and traveling just below 30 mph is easy in eco and tour modes.

Watch small plastic fender ends and battery cover as they can come loose.
I will watch the plastic parts.

I have pushed past 35-38 mph on flat road, with assist on Tour. I am really impressed with the aerodynamics of this bike. I was surprised .... really surprised . I have a road bike and smooth tire mountain I get that fast, never thought I could get near that on this beast.

I feel very fortunate that the dealer suggested this bike. I was originally going to get an endurance style ebike, this one fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited:
Is the one below not the same for 4500?

The link above is not the same bike. It is for an older version that does not have the speed motor.

Back