Broken spoke

opimax

Region
USA
City
Atlanta
Broken rear spoke on my Stromer, 1 more ride or park til repaired? I am all set and the last thing before we leave I see a broken spoke , do i have to cancel my 50 mile ride an a smooth bike path or can I go and get it repaired tomorrow?

Thanks

Mark

With 36 spokes (?) I would ride, unless the thing is way out of true or round (doubtful). If this were a fancy road bike wheel with 16 spokes I would say fix first. Maybe look for the next spoke to go, or very loose spokes before deciding, then be gentle in terms of any hard bumps you can avoid. -S

Get it fixed Asap. If it was a front spoke not a big deal but since its a rear get it done right away. The wheels in the back are dished and trued to balance out the weight of the motor. If you go riding with one busted spoke you could break more.

Thx both, 1 lose and another "not tight" and wonderful wife who was 50-50,I go on hers , maybe by the new shop to be and chat

Mark

Last edited:
if u get the spoke replaced by the shop make sure they not only reinstall the spoke but also re-dish it as well

Thx I will mention that. I went by the store and spoke with them yesterday. They are making sure 2 spokes will be there for the repair today.1 from each side. They also adj the the rear rack for rubbing. The sneaky mechanic also made a few adjustments to the brakes and shifting, Never worked better!, brakes absolute quiet. Great , great 1st. visit....closer too.

Fresh Bikes in Merrifield

Thx I will mention that. I went by the store and spoke with them yesterday. They are making sure 2 spokes will be there for the repair today.1 from each side. They also adj the the rear rack for rubbing. The sneaky mechanic also made a few adjustments to the brakes and shifting, Never worked better!, brakes absolute quiet. Great , great 1st. visit....closer too.

Fresh Bikes in Merrifield

Just FMI, how much did they charge you for the service? tia

I tipped the mechanic...I expect I will get official bill for today when I go later

I tipped the mechanic...I expect I will get official bill for today when I go later
Oh excellent move! At my first tuneup they said it was included with the purchase price so I just gave the mechanic a $20.. Next time I showed up with some niggling problem he absolutely dropped what he was doing put my bike on the stand and took care of it.. wouldn't take a dollar.

And since the shop is across the street from UM, I can now leave my bike to charge in his work area while i go about my business....tipping is a lost gesture.

As a rule I hate tipping as it has become part of the pay system and become the consumers burden rather the business expense. I want the waiters and such to earn a living and tips to be really above and beyond , not the standard.

They went above and beyond, just what tipping is for. When I heard my shop was shutting down I gave my ex mech a 100 for no work,he had really took care of me when I had given up on Stromer he got our bikes replaced for free. I tipped him every time I saw his face :)

Tipping the mechanic is not usually expected; that's why it's so efffective..I even tip the owner of the LBS sometimes

I've had my 2012 Stromer since September 2012 and have put about 2,000 miles or so on it. Took it out yesterday for the first time after having kept it inside for two months of wintry weather and, after my 27 mile RT commute to/from work, found a broken spoke. So, after reading this thread, I'm taking it in for repair tomorrow (was originally going to try to repair myself).

Back