Brake Lever Integrated Brake Light?

Arnoc

Region
USA
So I've got my Lectric XP on order. Going to in warmer days use it to cycle to work to enjoy the outdoors more and get some exercise in.

My primary route has fairly decent sized shoulders, but a few areas where I have to ride with traffic. My primary concern is when it comes to slowing down and braking; not many in the area are as familiar with hand signals.

I want an integrated solution that doesn't rely on an accelerometer based method to trigger the brake lights, wired on a separate battery pack.

I've found some normally closed firecracker reed sensors that are non-contact that I think would work well. They're about an inch long and .228" in diameter. My logic is that their being normally closed, when the brake levers are unengaged, the actuator keeps the circuit held open. The activation distance is about .367", or a hair bit less than 2/5 of an inch.

As soon as the brake levers begin to get pulled, it should in theory be pulled far enough away to allow the circuit to close, triggering the brake light.

Without having the bike physically in person to see, does it sound like something like that would be mountable on the brake levers and lever body?

You can install Magura MT 4 or 5 brakes with the integrated brake light switches built into the brake levers. They work quite well.

I can't see any button or wiring on my googling of those models. Plus it appears there's a whole swap out with them. And sounds like it's still a button you have to press

The switches and the light altogether seems like a $30 total along with whatever mounting hardware I end up needing (I've got a 3d printer, so I can do mock ups or final products dependent upon strength).

Ah yeah I see it now.

Not sure if the hydraulic upgrade would be worth it for me considering range I'd be doing a day (between 2-6 miles) and the price.

That all depends what price you would put on safety. Both having the brake light as well as good perrforming, well regarded hydraulic brakes could make a real difference and save your bacon in a hazardous situation.

It would seem to me that someone could offer a cheap black box that looks at the motor interrupter line coming from both brakes and trigger the wire going to the rear light.

As for hydraulics versus cable, yup. But oil the cables and the feel is much more sensitive and powerful.

Back