Bosch Nyon display in USA - Any advice or suggestions?

Alaskan

I have a Bosch CX drive with Intuvia display on my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500. I purchased a Nyon display and controller. These are not yet sold or supported in the USA but I have heard they can be set up here.

Has anyone on the forum set up a Nyon in the USA? Any software glitches or needed hacks to make it work. As I understand it you need to go to an authorized Bosch service center to get the firmware working in the motor, where much of the instructions set resides. I was able to find a source to download the app for my Android phone and am hoping to be able to use the mapping functions, heart rate monitoring and take advantage of the more detailed and complete display options.

Any help as to work-arounds, pitfalls to avoid, or other info sources would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Bosch CX drive with Intuvia display on my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500. I purchased a Nyon display and controller. These are not yet sold or supported in the USA but I have heard they can be set up here.

Has anyone on the forum set up a Nyon in the USA? Any software glitches or needed hacks to make it work. As I understand it you need to go to an authorized Bosch service center to get the firmware working in the motor, where much of the instructions set resides. I was able to find a source to download the app for my Android phone and am hoping to be able to use the mapping functions, heart rate monitoring and take advantage of the more detailed and complete display options.

Any help as to work-arounds, pitfalls to avoid, or other info sources would be greatly appreciated.

yes. It has been done:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/upgrades-to-my-xm700.11128/

Hope this helps.

@Alaskan, Check with @EddieJ, I know that he's familiar with both systems. Also, Pedelecs.co.uk is a great forum with a lot of resources on parts & components that we haven't seen yet. BTW, Court is in London right now and did a quick overview of the 2018 London Bike Show and pointed out several ebikes & other goodies that we probably won't see for another year.

Someone in New York City , with a Reise & Muller Delite has used a Nyon system on his bike,sorry don't know the location just search in the Reise &Muller area on our forum.

I purchased a Nyon unit from Europe and it worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it into my Haibike Race S 6.0. I did swap out the controller so I would have the toggle button in the remote controller, but the Intuvia controller did work to change the assistance level. The only challenge comes if you want to create custom assist levels (which was the main reason I wanted it)--that requires making in-app purchases which only works in a European (i.e., non-U.S.) App Store. That requires jumping through a number of hoops to set up an account outside the U.S. But it can be done and once purchased one no longer needs anything further from the non-U.S. App account.

I purchased a Nyon unit from Europe and it worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it into my Haibike Race S 6.0. I did swap out the controller so I would have the toggle button in the remote controller, but the Intuvia controller did work to change the assistance level. The only challenge comes if you want to create custom assist levels (which was the main reason I wanted it)--that requires making in-app purchases which only works in a European (i.e., non-U.S.) App Store. That requires jumping through a number of hoops to set up an account outside the U.S. But it can be done and once purchased one no longer needs anything further from the non-U.S. App account.

Steve, Thanks on this.

Did you try to update the firmware on the Nyon?
Any luck or tips there? A
m I correct in understanding that you did not get any error codes and did not have to do any programming before it came up active and functional?

I head heard that service from a Bosch shop might be necessary.

Proceeding with an abundance of caution here.

I have intentionally avoided updating the firmware on my Nyon--that because I have read many reports of people who did so being unable to get their unit to work without sending it to Bosch. Mine worked fine with the firmware it came with, which is Version 2.5.0.0. I don't know what the update provides, but I obviously don't need it, and if I have to send my unit to Bosch to restore functionality that is going to be a major problem. And no I have never gotten any error codes--worked fine out of the box (on two different bikes by the way).

Thank you again Steve.

I did get an error code when I put it on my bike leaving the intuvia controller in place. I have not tried putting the nyon controller on and then firing up the nyon display. Hopefully that will work. I guess it is time to give it a try. Not encouraging to know that your nyon worked with the original intuvia controller.

Court did a video with a German fellow named Frank at Motostrano. Perhaps Frank might see this thread and provide some guidance.

That's frustrating. Do you know what firmware version your Nyon has? I don't think changing the controller base will have any effect--basically the same mounting base is used/sold for both.

BTW Martin at e-bikeshop UK is very active on the Pedelecs forum and is very knowledgeable about all things Bosch including Nyon. His email is [email protected]. He was very helpful as I tried to get this all put together. I am sure if you email him and describe your situation and the error code you received he will help you if he can.

Back