Bosch Class III pedelecs cut out at 26.5 mph

I've been saying it all along for years that in the US , the faster we can go on a bike/ebike on major roads w/o bike lanes, the safer WE are .

The 30-35 mph top speeds should be standard for ebikes. The companies and people who make this ebikes , adopted the illogical class 3 law from Europe w/o any common sense , they are on another planet , they would never understand that drivers here will smtms. run into a cyclist on purpose if they get delayed a few xtra seconds.

I've been saying it all along for years that in the US , the faster we can go on a bike/ebike on major roads w/o bike lanes, the safer WE are .

The 30-35 mph top speeds should be standard for ebikes. The companies and people who make this ebikes , adopted the illogical class 3 law from Europe w/o any common sense , they are on another planet , they would never understand that drivers here will smtms. run into a cyclist on purpose if they get delayed a few xtra seconds.
30 to 35 is pretty much bad news on a bike if you crash. . its not a good idea really. plus it eats up a lot of battery.

Major roads like state highways? With a car going 60mph, it won't make any difference what speed the cyclist is going. Even in an urban street with the car going 50mph. The cyclist is going to be run over.

the thing is most popped that got fast don't have thew experience and they tend to buy the cheaper bikes. you need really good brakes to ride that fast and you need experience too.

:) So true.

I don't think the difference between gen 2 and 4 is drastic since it is only a couple of additional gears that are turning not the motor itself (there is already a clutch for that).

The only reason why people are faster at lower assistance levels with gen 4 is because gen4 assistance percentages are bumped up. I rode gen 4 then back to my gen 2 with custom modes and my average speed was almost the same(I need to do a prolonged test but I have no plans of buying a gen4). Also these motors don't have the power output to sustain anywhere close to 28mph(28mph is actually 26-27mph without speedo inflation.) unless the rider puts a very significant amount of effort. It is simply a matter of continuous power which these motors don't have.

@Alanzo I don't know what your fitness level is but as dblhelix said keeping this bike 30mph+ without assistance is significantly harder than a regular, light road bike. I don't think gen4 will be any better. However since you have a gen 2 you can use a dongle like badassbox which will eliminate the speed limit. Can not talk about warranty but it can not damage the motor.
Johnny,
Good to see your comment with gen4 and gen2. I wondered if there was a significant change with pedal resistance at 28 mph speed with gen4. The financial cost of upgrading for a small gain is not worth it. The reality of the bike I have is a limit @ 28 but the pros outweigh the cons. Its a very efficient e-bike that can handle most anything on the road with large tires and dual suspension. Best of all the e-assist allows me to ride more miles than any previous non e-bike.

Unlike gen 4 motors, Bosch gen 2 motors do not have software that puts the motor into walk mode if derestriction is detected. Instead, gen 2 motors in one of the firmware updates started to record the derestriction, which showed up in the diagnostic report if the bike is put on a Bosch maintenance system. It is my understanding that can be used to void the warranty but the motor is not rendered useless. Given that your bike is likely more that two years old and therefor past warranty, this should not be of concern.

When I bought my 2018 Delite Mountain with the gen 2 CX motor, used in early 2019, I immediately put a Bikespeed RX dongle on the motor, underneath the motor housing. I figured it was worth the risk. And of course now, there is no risk as the warranty has expired anyway. What I got was a CX motor with no top assist limit, i.e. CX torque and power, EMTB option and a bike that I could pedal at higher speed. In order to access that speed in a meaningful way, I had to replace the 15 tooth front chainring with an 18 tooth one. The put made higher speeds attainable using a sustainable cadence. In order to recapture lost climbing ability due to the larger chainring I changed out the cassette from the stock, 11-42 to an 11-46. At one point, going down a long hill with a 3-4% downgrade, I spun up the cranks as fast as I could to see what kind of speed I could attain. Result: at a cadence of 115, I was going 42 miles per hour.

Finally, I did have concerns about possibly damaging the motor. That bike now has over 5,000 miles on it, I have gone through at least four chains and two cassettes and replaced the chain ring twice as well. The motor has not missed a beat and still provides all the power it always has without any hiccups, odd noises or problems.
Alaskan,
I do not have enough experience with e-bikes to know what works or does not with add on devices to adjust the max speed of the motor. Sounds like you had an excellent setup with the dongle. My bike is past the warranty. Its the Rohloff E14 and Gates belt drive version. Had I opt'd for a chain and cassette I could have tweaked the rear cog set or swopped the chainring to a different size.

There are instances on the road which require higher speed but that is not going to happen so I have to rethink how to deal with traffic, stop lights and highways with no shoulders. The e-bike is a different tool than what I was accustomed to. I am now learning what the limits are for my bike. I imagine there will be many improvements with the battery systems and motors as time progresses. Until this happens I'll continue pedaling and enjoying the ride no matter the limit with top speed..

Major roads like state highways? With a car going 60mph, it won't make any difference what speed the cyclist is going. Even in an urban street with the car going 50mph.
that is very true, from what i noticed looks like from 7-10am and 7.45-9pm every day a 25mph road is a 45mph one, other times it's only 40mph....

Back