BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

I'm not sure about others but after my full riding season of 2020 I found that the MTT Damper was no longer silent and I got some squeaking noises, for lack of a better word, coming from the MTT damper area. I followed the BMC MTT Service and Maintenance Manual (attached to this post - English version) and inspected the serviceable parts and realized that my Guide Shafts simply needed a lube. Luckily they weren't worn as to need replacement.

Point of post is that it is a relatively easy task to accomplish and personally think it's a good idea to do once a year regardless. Make sure you have a decent torque wrench since the shafts need a precise 8Nm of torque so as not to result in premature wear of MTT parts and/or possible frame damage.

Attachments

• BMC_MTT_Service_EN.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 561
Hi,

I am thinking about ordering an Alpenchallenge Amp Road Two in size M (2020 model, with drop bars) as a commuter. The Orbea Gain M30 and Bianchi Aria E-Road are also on my shortlist (both with x35 motor), but I prefer the BMC because of the powerful E6100 motor, 504kW battery and easy tuning options.

I have the following questions:

A) Where can you best attach a heavy lock to the frame? Bottle holder? I currently use an Abus Bordo Granit which is attached to the vertical tube of my Trek Domane, but this solution is not possible for the BMC because of the battery.

B) My stride length is about 86cm for 1m84, which means about 76cm saddle height on my muscular road bikes with clip-ons and 172.5mm crank (the BMC has 170mm). I will be at the limits but would like confirmation that a M would fit (from a saddle height point of view).

C) What are the options to control the integrated Shimano screen/computer? Just the one button on the computer itself? On the Road One (higher end model) you can use the left Di2 shifter for this, but the Road Two only has mechanical GRX shifters. M. E. There are two solutions, either a SW-E700 switch to mount on the handlebars, or to convert a Di2 shifter.

D) What tires would you prefer for a city-road commuter? Tire weight doesn't matter to me.

Many thanks in advance.

I just fitted the WTB Byway and the Herkelmann Wingees. Doesn’t add to much weight, neither physically, nor optically.
It was quite a hassle to get the Wingees attached. But I’m quite happy after the first testride. And after all this is my go to bike for everything, driving around my son, visiting clients and doing sports.
The Byways leak a lot of air, so I need to try to find the weak spot first

View attachment 67227

View attachment 67228
I just fitted the WTB Byway and the Herkelmann Wingees. Doesn’t add to much weight, neither physically, nor optically.
It was quite a hassle to get the Wingees attached. But I’m quite happy after the first testride. And after all this is my go to bike for everything, driving around my son, visiting clients and doing sports.
The Byways leak a lot of air, so I need to try to find the weak spot first

View attachment 67227

View attachment 67228

I live in the UK and I’m finding it difficult to find Herkelmann Wingees, I’d really like the w40 rear light version. Anyone know an online retailer in the UK or Europe that does these for the Alpenchallenge Amp sport 2 ?

Hi everyone,

We are new ebike and novice bike riders. We are really excited to have gotten the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City One (older model).
One of our hopes was to continue using this trailer bike that we were using to bring along our son on an older bike. The bike shop I purchased the bike from told us that should be fine to use it on the new bike (our son is 40lbs) but the local bike shop told us that they wouldn't recommend that.

Any experienced members who can suggest whether we should or shouldn't attach this trailer bike? Also, any suggestions of alternatives we can use with this bike would be super appreciated.

Thanks!
P.S. I tried a separate thread but thought would post it here in case more people are following this

Hi everyone,

We are new ebike and novice bike riders. We are really excited to have gotten the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City One (older model).
One of our hopes was to continue using this trailer bike that we were using to bring along our son on an older bike. The bike shop I purchased the bike from told us that should be fine to use it on the new bike (our son is 40lbs) but the local bike shop told us that they wouldn't recommend that.

Any experienced members who can suggest whether we should or shouldn't attach this trailer bike? Also, any suggestions of alternatives we can use with this bike would be super appreciated.

Thanks!
P.S. I tried a separate thread but thought would post it here in case more people are following this
I think I agree with your LBS. Not a good idea with a CF seat post. The way to do it is with a rear axle mount, but not sure if that can be done with your trailer bike.

Thanks Bill. I found https://robertaxleproject.com/cargo-child-trailers/. Did you mean something like that? I was hoping for a tagalong that my son could actively bike along on but I haven't seen any of that type yet that attach to the axle.

I am assuming there is no chance to find an alternative non carbon seatpost to use when needed. I was thinking whether some of the new BMC Alumuminum Alpenchallenge bikes had seatposts that could work.

Thanks Bill. I found https://robertaxleproject.com/cargo-child-trailers/. Did you mean something like that? I was hoping for a tagalong that my son could actively bike along on but I haven't seen any of that type yet that attach to the axle.

I am assuming there is no chance to find an alternative non carbon seatpost to use when needed. I was thinking whether some of the new BMC Alumuminum Alpenchallenge bikes had seatposts that could work.
The axle is exactly what I was thinking of. I looked as you did for a trail along bike that attached to axle and came up empty. All I saw was something that attached to a rear rack, well, besides the seat post..

The seat post in the BMC aluminum version is a round 31.6 post. We have the D shape. That's a no go also.

Hi all!

I bought the BMC Alppenchallenge AMP City belt drive model last july. I have ran it for 1800km. I fitted 40-622 Little Big Ben tyres both fore and aft but am thinking if I could squeeze even bigger tire up front. This aluminum frame is very rigid and unforgiving for my wrists. Just about 20km ride and I will feel the pain. I have run a belt on another bike for few years and I love it! But I don't love the 5-speed hub this bike has. It's garbage. I have written about it here
Post in thread 'E-bike specific Internal Gear Hub by Shimano for 2019'
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ear-hub-by-shimano-for-2019.26708/post-307675

Even worse is if you plan to ride in cold conditions. We had a bit colder winter than usual and hit -15C very often. In those temps the range is significantly reduced. I think it is because the grease in the hub gets too thick. And when the battery runs out I really don't want to ride it at all. But it still is faster to pedal on first gear than walking.

This bike probably could be better with another hub. But your options pretty much are alfine 8, 11 of going single-speed. Alfines do not have great track record on durability so I am hesitant to try them. And I might need to pull a kids trailer in near future so I think I'll need some gears.
At times I think this is an ok bike but I am not sure how long I will keep it. Probably the next one won't even be an ebike since the range does limit how far I can ride.

I think the sizing is weird too for this frame. I am 175cm (5’9”) and have a small frame. My inseam is shorter than usual at 77cm. I also consider 580mm TT lenght (583 on medium) to be maximum for flat bars and drop bars need to be 535+mm. I had hopes I could ride this small with drops but no. I think it's still too long for that. But what supprised me was how low stack this has! I had lower back pain riding it and swapped the bars for 60mm rise swept back bars. Now the back pain is gone. I measured myself the stack height and I think it is nowhere near 565mm.

I think the sizing is weird too for this frame. I am 175cm (5’9”) and have a small frame. My inseam is shorter than usual at 77cm. I also consider 580mm TT lenght (583 on medium) to be maximum for flat bars and drop bars need to be 535+mm. I had hopes I could ride this small with drops but no. I think it's still too long for that. But what supprised me was how low stack this has! I had lower back pain riding it and swapped the bars for 60mm rise swept back bars. Now the back pain is gone. I measured myself the stack height and I think it is nowhere near 565mm.
Hi, sorry for the very late reply. I bought the AMP City Two electric bike too. I, too, had back pain issues, and reversing the stem made them go. I like the Nexus 5 IGH, but I never used any other IGH but the Nexus 7 on two diffferent "muscle" bikes ; I do only city rides, and it's comfy. I had to replace the saddle that I found very rough.

I find this bike very expensive considered all this (many design flaws for comfort and usability, see my previous posts on children transport), but it is soooo classy and what a beast to ride...

Hello,

I have a 2020 BMC AMP Alpenchallenge City Two bike, equipped from the start with DT Swiss R500db rims (it's written on it "Rim dimension 622 x 22, ERD 596mm"). The hub is Shimano Nexus Inter 5E. One of the spokes broke inside the nipple (after only 1200 kms, but that's not my point yet). I tried measuring another spoke, but I'd like to be reassured about my measurements, which are 2mm fixed diameter and 282mm length.
Having no easy access to a local dealer, and a great will to become autonomous repairing my bike for little issues like this, I'd be very grateful if someone could back up my measurements if possible :)
Thank you.

My model, Sport One, has the Steps e6100 motor. Only the LTD in the Sport, City and Cross get the e8000. 10Nm torque difference, 70 vs 60. Same small form factor for most part and the 6100 is actually the quieter of the two. Since I won't be conquering any major hills on this bike it's of little concern for me yet at the same time I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy if it came with the e8000 stock.
I have the Sport LTD. Where did you get your tires?

Back