BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

I have finally received the herkelmann wingee fenders today. Very easy to install. What do you think guys?

Hello all,

First of all, thank you all for the information in this forum. Based on what you wrote, I decided to get an Alpenchallenge AMP Sport. To keep the look minimal, I would like to customize it with the Herkelmann Wingee fenders/rack. Now, being in contact with Mr Herkelmann, he does not see how the Wingee would be installed/which adapters to use to make it sturdy. Any advice there on which adapters to take? I saw that you managed to install them and the pictures from Gerardo Garcia look great.

Hello. For me was easy because I have the city version. So it came already with fenders so i just had to replace it. If u look few posts previous to were i uploaded the pictures. U should see the items needed to do the install.
im personally very happy with it.
A4B45736-4318-43B6-8FC2-3E22479CF009.jpeg

Attachments

• 322061EE-91EF-4D8C-8772-9CBA9B6FD5CB.jpeg
    322061EE-91EF-4D8C-8772-9CBA9B6FD5CB.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 600
  • CCB0D032-47FE-4F58-A492-CA8D9DFB49B0.jpeg
    CCB0D032-47FE-4F58-A492-CA8D9DFB49B0.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 591
  • 49A9D381-42CA-448C-A0A1-D0E1FB76A754.jpeg
    49A9D381-42CA-448C-A0A1-D0E1FB76A754.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 565
  • ECDFFFCF-2FDB-4E28-A3F9-84334EF29652.jpeg
    ECDFFFCF-2FDB-4E28-A3F9-84334EF29652.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 739
  • C8961CF7-BDDC-44DE-B2E0-B4490C169C66.jpeg
    C8961CF7-BDDC-44DE-B2E0-B4490C169C66.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 507
You have a standout bike on your hands, gerardo.garcia! I do hope to get that Wingee attached somehow. If not, the fallback plan is the original fender/rack combination from BMC that my local shop is keeping for me. :)

Could you perhaps take a photo of the attachment eyelets on your bike? An earlier contributor suggested a set of what looks like Specialized eyelet adaptors with thread, but I can't seem to find those near me, or a confirmation that they work.

Hello. For me was easy because I have the city version. So it came already with fenders so i just had to replace it. If u look few posts previous to were i uploaded the pictures. U should see the items needed to do the install.
im personally very happy with it.View attachment 54470

You have a standout bike on your hands, gerardo.garcia! I do hope to get that Wingee attached somehow. If not, the fallback plan is the original fender/rack combination from BMC that my local shop is keeping for me. :)

Could you perhaps take a photo of the attachment eyelets on your bike? An earlier contributor suggested a set of what looks like Specialized eyelet adaptors with thread, but I can't seem to find those near me, or a confirmation that they work.

the atachments came already with the city version of the bike. In the other versions theres only a plastic cover. Its weird for me because if ur local shop has the tools to put the other fender thenits exactly the same ones for the wingee. As i said. If u go to previous page of this forum u will see when i attached pictures for this. Since there was another person asking for it.
In any case ill show you how is it in my bike.
B4E537EE-5F0F-48F2-B860-972748E86B16.jpeg
553F2801-675A-4017-BC2C-8AB2C443249C.jpeg

the atachments came already with the city version of the bike. In the other versions theres only a plastic cover. Its weird for me because if ur local shop has the tools to put the other fender thenits exactly the same ones for the wingee. As i said. If u go to previous page of this forum u will see when i attached pictures for this. Since there was another person asking for it.
In any case ill show you how is it in my bike. View attachment 55152View attachment 55153
Thank you so much, this helps a lot. I'll go to the local shop next week to talk to them. I guess BMC sends them complete sets like the one you had on your bike originally. That's why they didn't offer any other solution.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot. I'll go to the local shop next week to talk to them. I guess BMC sends them complete sets like the one you had on your bike originally. That's why they didn't offer any other solution.

You should look with all the things you received with ur bike. When i purchased mine. In the documents bag there were incluided an extra drop for derailleur like the one used for the Cross version, the plate for the kickstand and stuff for the tubeless wheels. So my guess is that when someone buys other versions BMC incluides as well the attachments needed in case you want to put fenders. Even in the BMC page, section documents. It says “incluided with bike”

Look at the link. And zoom in the red letters. It says is incluided with your bike.

Hello gerardo.garcia, Could you please keep us updated on any progress with the fender? I have also purchased an AMP Sport LTD model from LinkRad and I would like to add a fender.

Hello gerardo.garcia, Could you please keep us updated on any progress with the fender? I have also purchased an AMP Sport LTD model from LinkRad and I would like to add a fender.
Sorry for asking...what progress do you mean?
I installed the fenders more than a year ago.

Hey, is anyone of you using the Alpenchallenge AMP SPORT TWO? A local dealer offers the bike with a 20% discount, but I'm not completely sold on this version, because it's a bit heavier than the carbon models and only offers a 418 Wh battery.

And I'm also not sure about the overall look of the Alpenchallenge Amp bikes. I have an Orbea Gain F40 with a small integrated battery which does not scream E-Bike at first look :D. But I absolutely fell in love with the power of the Shimano Steps motor and the quality of the BMC bikes in general. Another powerful alternative may be the Cannondale Synapse / Quick Neo, which offer an integrated battery, but are heavier than the BMC AMP models (about 18 kg).

A quick shot of the test bike (may look a bit weird because of iPhone ultra wide lens):

IMG-0885.jpg

Hey, is anyone of you using the Alpenchallenge AMP SPORT TWO? A local dealer offers the bike with a 20% discount, but I'm not completely sold on this version, because it's a bit heavier than the carbon models and only offers a 418 Wh battery.

And I'm also not sure about the overall look of the Alpenchallenge Amp bikes. I have an Orbea Gain F40 with a small integrated battery which does not scream E-Bike at first look :D. But I absolutely fell in love with the power of the Shimano Steps motor and the quality of the BMC bikes in general. Another powerful alternative may be the Cannondale Synapse / Quick Neo, which offer an integrated battery, but are heavier than the BMC AMP models (about 18 kg).

A quick shot of the test bike (may look a bit weird because of iPhone ultra wide lens):

View attachment 56060

Hello there, Well im going try to give you my opinion and then you take your own conclusions.

1. Its quite obvious the alumium version is going to be heavier than the carbon, but as well is cheaper, you should ask yourself if you are eager to take the extra expense in the carbon version.

2. About the external battery screaming out is an e-bike, well, the most important purchase desition is if you like or not, if you dont like it then theres not much to discuss. But on the other side is important you to know why this decision was taken ( and this info was told to me directly not only by BMC people but by Diamant german bikes who is a competitor company, so its not that they tried to look good to me):

At the moment With the current technology, all the bikes that has an internal battery require a thicker tube either in size and the thickness of the metal itself because of the cutout for the battery. So they need this extra material/weight in order to make it sturdier in this area.

I can corroborate this info as well putting as example my girlfriends bike:

its a relatively “cheap” not fancy (to be electric) bike, but the fact that has external battery make it ”only” around 18kg.

But if you check all the other bikes with internal batteries they are heavy, this incluides the Diamant Supreme plus, which is carbon fibre but it weights 22.5kg, is not the only reasson obviously but i guess you understand what i mean.

The only bike at the moment that i know with internal battery that are very light are the new Specialized Turbo Vado SL.
They are light for a lot of reassons (weaker engine, etc), but lets focus on the battery; since the battery is smaller it obviously weight less, and (very important) you cannot pull out the battery, you have to charge it directly with the bike, in this way they saved crucial weight avoiding the cutout, its like old times of mobile phones with removable battery and iphone with not removable battery (to save weight and space). And the other one I guess would be your Orbea who follows a similar design solution.

having said this, now maybe you understand why BMC has decided to use this design.

3. Regarding the price, i recommend you to look everywhere online:

bike24, tredz and so on offers BMC Bikes, check and compare and you can do a better decision.

4. About the engine, so as mentioned before, my girlfriend has a whyte bike with the steps 6100, i have the City LTD with the shimano 8000, its obvious that the 8000 has more power, but you have to ask yourself do you need the extra power? We live in Edinburgh a very hilly city and she has more than enought with the 6100, i would say the 8000 helps mainly if i would take it to the mountain, or (ironic) if we challenge each other for some race, the bike power will cut at 25km/h anyway.

5. On an extra note, you have to decide how important is the weight for you, we live in a first floor apartment (its called second floor in some countries), so we carry our bikes trogh the stairs, i made some changes in my girlfriends bike to save weight: Tubus titanium rack, XTR cassette, carbon fibre seatpost, specialized MIMIC carbon fibre saddle, her tires and wheels were tubeless ready so i just converted it saving extra 400grams.

So now her bike is around 17.2 kg.

If you dont have this problems then go simply for whatever you like the most.

Hope this answer helps.

Last edited:

I believe that with the more powerful motor of the AMP compared to the Gain, you won't feel the weight of the aluminum framed bike when riding (placing into a truck bed, onto a bike rack or carrying it up stairs may be another story though).

I am surprised today when any manufacturer installs less than a 500 Wh battery on a standard e-bike. However the AMP looks to be a very efficient, and rolls on 30mm street tires. I would guess that even with the 'smallish' battery you will still get reasonable range, especially when using the lower assist levels.

Personally I don't mind that others know I am riding an e-bike. I had looked at an Orbea Gain M20 available locally as it was a 2019 model available at an incredible price. But I came to the conclusion that I just prefer the higher powered motors (even though I choose to ride in lower levels of pedal assist), and didn't need to spend the money on the Gain just to look like I was not riding an e-bike. Instead I don't mind being an ambassador of e-bikes when someone sees I am riding one, and wants to know about it. I know of at least 2 people who have purchased e-bikes after I have spoken with them.

But this is a very personal issue and one which only you can decide what is right for you. Many choose to get their exercise on a non-powered bike, whereas I choose to get mine on an e-bike. And I am pedaling and sweating and have an increased heart rate when I go for a work-out ride, so the e-bike is giving me exactly what I want and need (regardless of whether it is 'obvious' or 'stealthy').

Thanks for your replies!

@gerardo.garcia
My apartment is on the ground floor, but still I have to carry the bike a few meters. So weight is important, but not very important.
I actually go the Specialized Vado SL for a test ride today. Compared to the E6100 the new Specialized motor does not feel very powerful, even my small hub motor seems to have more power. But I'm very sure that I don't need the Steps E8000. I live in Hamburg (Germany), a very flat city.

The mentioned discount means that I can get the AMP Two for 2639 Euro at the local shop. If there is any problem with the bike, I can always take it to the dealer. I did not find any other german online dealer offering the Two with a discount, but the AMP One is currently available for 2799 Euro and sometimes they even offer a special discount where you can get it for 2499 Euro.
But although the One has a carbon frame I think I prefer to have a black bike :D. So I have to decide between the two different versions and if I prefer to buy it online or at the local shop.

@TMH
I am also a bit surprised, the 418 Wh battery even has the same size and weight. And I also think that I prefer higher powered motors, that is also why I did not like the Specialized Vado SL I tried today, although it also looks quite nice.

IMG_0890.jpg

Thanks for your replies!

@gerardo.garcia
My apartment is on the ground floor, but still I have to carry the bike a few meters. So weight is important, but not very important.
I actually go the Specialized Vado SL for a test ride today. Compared to the E6100 the new Specialized motor does not feel very powerful, even my small hub motor seems to have more power. But I'm very sure that I don't need the Steps E8000. I live in Hamburg (Germany), a very flat city.

The mentioned discount means that I can get the AMP Two for 2639 Euro at the local shop. If there is any problem with the bike, I can always take it to the dealer. I did not find any other german online dealer offering the Two with a discount, but the AMP One is currently available for 2799 Euro and sometimes they even offer a special discount where you can get it for 2499 Euro.
But although the One has a carbon frame I think I prefer to have a black bike :D. So I have to decide between the two different versions and if I prefer to buy it online or at the local shop.

@TMH
I am also a bit surprised, the 418 Wh battery even has the same size and weight. And I also think that I prefer higher powered motors, that is also why I did not like the Specialized Vado SL I tried today, although it also looks quite nice.

View attachment 56097
Are you planning to use the BMC as it is? Or are you going to spend in racks, fenders, lights and so on...... are you looking only as a comute bike/city? Because in that case im in love with the BMC Amp city two with the belt drive. it might not have the discount...but if you are going to spend anyway...... and is black, and...i had for long time a Belt drive bike and it was the dream, so reliable.

Reactions: TMH
Good point! My dealer offers the AMP City Two for the same price, but I'm planning to use the BMC as it is. I don't like racks and fenders on a bike. I may use it for commuting, but the main purpose is to ride the bike in my free time in the area around my hometown and I really like the Shimano 105 groupset. So I am not sure if a 5 speed is enough for my needs, but I actually never had a belt drive on a bike - maybe I should at least have a test ride.
But choosing between AMP One and Two (local vs. online) is also quite a challenge. At first I did not want to spend that much money for an electric bike, that is also a reason why I bought the cheapest Orbea Gain of the bunch (F40). But using an electric bike is very addictive that is why I have to take it to the next level :p.

Reactions: TMH
Good point! My dealer offers the AMP City Two for the same price, but I'm planning to use the BMC as it is. I don't like racks and fenders on a bike. I may use it for commuting, but the main purpose is to ride the bike in my free time in the area around my hometown and I really like the Shimano 105 groupset. So I am not sure if a 5 speed is enough for my needs, but I actually never had a belt drive on a bike - maybe I should at least have a test ride.
But choosing between AMP One and Two (local vs. online) is also quite a challenge. At first I did not want to spend that much money for an electric bike, that is also a reason why I bought the cheapest Orbea Gain of the bunch (F40). But using an electric bike is very addictive that is why I have to take it to the next level :p.
Well. Good luck with your final desition, On a final note its always good to support the local shops. Specially at this times. Not to say always available service.

Thank you, will keep you updated! And I also think one should support the local dealer.

Tried a Cannondale Quick Neo today. The Bosch motor is very silent. But it does not feel as powerful as the Shimano. And I did not like the geometry of the bike.
I also tried a Fazua bike from Canyon, which is more powerful than my Ebikemotion and the SL 1.1, but not as powerful as a Bosch or Shimano.

To sum it up: The BMC Amp Sport is the best combination I‘ve ever ridden. The geometry is perfect for my needs and the Shimano motor is a dream.

Cannondale Quick Neo:
9F708DBF-5329-49D4-AD1C-81F4A1A749DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I actually bought the bike a few days ago. The ride is like no other bike before, I like it very much.

But still undecided if I like the non integrated battery :D. The color of the BMC does not seem to be black, ist more like a dark midnight blue. But that is only visible in direct sunlight.

IMG_9714.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Back