BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City LTD frame damaged with zero miles

stevebmd

Region
USA
I recently bought a brand new City LTD, and it was shipped to me by a large ground carrier. My excitement was quickly blunted when I removed the bike from the shipping materiel and box and found the rear fender was bent down and rubbing the rear tire. After further inspection, the small eye bolt on the rear dropout that the fender attaches to, was tweaked and the frame fractured at the rear drop out. Made a quick call to the online retailer I bought from. To their credit they are dealing with BMC directly, but this does make me a little skittish about a carbon vs aluminum frame. Has anyone else had issues with BMC or other carbon frames

Bmc uses very good carbon fibre for their bikes. Shipper's fault and whoever did the packing ! CF is quite resilient but it would depend on where and how was the impact.

You should be dealing with the shipper first. Photos of the box and photos of the damage needs to be sent to them. Not the retailer's direct issue, nor BMC's direct issue. They will need to send a new frame for sure, but the shipper's insurance should pay for the damage. Any frame material can be damaged in shipping. It's not a direct reflection towards the material.

If the store offers free shipping, padded and crated the bike, has the relationship with the shipper and they have to make the claim, not me. how they get made whole is their issue. I have sent photos of the damage and box to store. They will make their claim with whoever, the remedy is not my responsibility. It arrived at my doorstep damaged.

Back