Blown motor on E3 Dash with 29 miles on it

I emailed these exact two addresses each time so I am not sure what the technical issue is.

Here is the shops info.

Eric's bike shop
2059 Snelling Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113

If you could check with them to see if the part was already ordered and if not please send it immediately I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me an update at [email protected].

Thank you.
Dylan,
I don't see a BB going there as of yet, so I'll get it all set up for you. I'll also email you and cc them that one is on it's way for you.

I just got my Path+ yesterday and rode it around happily for 24 hours. I just limped home after experiencing what sounds like the loose magnet problem. The bike can be pedaled with the power turned off, but with power on it clatters, jitters, and rattles. In throttle mode, the wheel rotates about 10 degrees and then seizes. :( It sounds like Currie will address the problem, but it's really disappointing, and makes me a little afraid to stray very far from home lest I get stranded somewhere.

Sigh... :(

Sounds exactly what I went thru. (You see my video I posted on this thread?) Fear not, tho.. I got my new wheel today with the better bonding agent and Currie support is top notch. You can contact Chawn (Curriesupport) thru here or call and they'll get u a new wheel to your dealer quick.
You're gonna miss out on this weekend. But when the bike is running, it's gonna be exactly what you want. While at the dealer I would recommend they service the bottom bracket sensor according to the TSB as well. (Maybe have them locktight the rear spokes on your new wheel as well)

Happy motoring.

I'm on the phone with Currie right now (on hold, listening to the music loop). I bought the bike online (from a dealer in another state), so hopefully that won't create problems for me. I guess the bikes that they're shipping right now still have the old motors with the loose magnets.

Have them ship the wheel to you, a local shop can swap the cassette and brakes and have you running in no time.
Taking the old wheel off is cake, just bring the wheel to a shop. Or take the whole bike to the shop and have them torque down that bracket sensor to 60+ ft lbs of torque as well.

Thanks. Still on hold. Should the wheel be taken to an authorized dealer for the swap? I think my local REI is a dealer. Otherwise I may be in for a bit of a trek.

BTW, my motor sounds and behaves pretty much like your, just not quite as bad.

No need for an authorized dealer. The cassette and brake swap is a standard wheel. And Currie will prolly reimburse you for the fee. REI will know how to do this.

I just got my Path+ yesterday and rode it around happily for 24 hours. I just limped home after experiencing what sounds like the loose magnet problem. The bike can be pedaled with the power turned off, but with power on it clatters, jitters, and rattles. In throttle mode, the wheel rotates about 10 degrees and then seizes. :( It sounds like Currie will address the problem, but it's really disappointing, and makes me a little afraid to stray very far from home lest I get stranded somewhere.

Sigh... :(

twowheeler,
It does sound like this is a magnet issue. I'm sure we can swap out your wheel to the new batch of "super bonding" glue. It would be best to have your local shop call us to arrange, but if you need, we can send it to you directly. It only takes a few minutes for a shop with the right tools to get things done.

No need for an authorized dealer. The cassette and brake swap is a standard wheel. And Currie will prolly reimburse you for the fee. REI will know how to do this.

It does take a standard Shimano cassette removal tool and a chain whip. The rest should be easy to move the tire and rotor over.

Just got off the phone with Chawn, who was very helpful. He said to just cart the bike down to REI, who are an authorized dealer for Currie. (Apparently I could have gotten the bike through them, but didn't think to try because it wasn't listed on their website as a Currie model that they carry.) I dropped it off at REI, and it sounds like everything will get taken care of. Hopefully the new and improved glue will keep the magnets in place.

I'm still waiting on my bike. Dropped it off at REI in Berkeley on Friday 6/18. They order the wheel on Tuesday 6/22. Currie ships out the wheel on Thursday 6/24. It arrives at REI Monday 6/28. I call REI today and the person on the phone asks "Do you have an appointment?", something that somehow escaped my notice and which I would have assumed isn't necessary if you dropped off a bike a week and a half ago. Apparently they don't actually plan ahead by anticipating when the wheel will arrive and setting up a time to work on it. They're "very busy and backed up" and the soonest they can get to my bike is next Monday 7/4, and so now I have an "appointment". She also told me that normally they will just call when the repair is done, rather than fielding inquiries from customers. She also mentioned that this repair was complicated and would take several hourse of their time. Hopefully I'll get the bike back before the 2015 models go on sale. I'll report back once I get the bike. Interesting experience at a store I've been going to for over 25 years with very good experiences, though this is the first (and hopefully last) time I've had anything to do with their bike repair people.

It's been a long day. I was off on my month numbers by one. Here's the corrected version. I'm still waiting on my bike. Dropped it off at REI in Berkeley on Friday 7/18. They order the wheel on Tuesday 7/22. Currie ships out the wheel on Thursday 7/24. It arrives at REI Monday 7/28. I call REI today and the person on the phone asks "Do you have an appointment?", something that somehow escaped my notice and which I would have assumed isn't necessary if you dropped off a bike a week and a half ago. Apparently they don't actually plan ahead by anticipating when the wheel will arrive and setting up a time to work on it. They're "very busy and backed up" and the soonest they can get to my bike is next Monday 8/4, and so now I have an "appointment". She also told me that normally they will just call when the repair is done, rather than fielding inquiries from customers. She also mentioned that this repair was complicated and would take several hourse of their time. Hopefully I'll get the bike back before the 2015 models go on sale. I'll report back once I get the bike. Interesting experience at a store I've been going to for over 25 years with very good experiences, though this is the first (and hopefully last) time I've had anything to do with their bike repair people.

It's been a long day. I was off on my month numbers by one. Here's the corrected version. I'm still waiting on my bike. Dropped it off at REI in Berkeley on Friday 7/18. They order the wheel on Tuesday 7/22. Currie ships out the wheel on Thursday 7/24. It arrives at REI Monday 7/28. I call REI today and the person on the phone asks "Do you have an appointment?", something that somehow escaped my notice and which I would have assumed isn't necessary if you dropped off a bike a week and a half ago. Apparently they don't actually plan ahead by anticipating when the wheel will arrive and setting up a time to work on it. They're "very busy and backed up" and the soonest they can get to my bike is next Monday 8/4, and so now I have an "appointment". She also told me that normally they will just call when the repair is done, rather than fielding inquiries from customers. She also mentioned that this repair was complicated and would take several hourse of their time. Hopefully I'll get the bike back before the 2015 models go on sale. I'll report back once I get the bike. Interesting experience at a store I've been going to for over 25 years with very good experiences, though this is the first (and hopefully last) time I've had anything to do with their bike repair people.

Dear Twowheeler - So sorry to hear your having issues with REI. We will attempt to contact them in the morning to see if we can move this along. It should actually take them less then 15 minutes to swap the wheel and get you back on the road. Please keep me posted.

Best regards,
-Larry

They called a couple of hours before Larry's post, so unless he'd called them earlier in the day they did it on their own. I'm thinking that one of them might have figured out that it was kind of ridiculous to make someone wait an entire additional week for a job that had been brought in 10 days before.

I had a similar experience with a hold- up on the delivery of my new Peak. Just mentioned it in passing to Larry, and shazam! I got a call from REI.

I think that Larry is magic! :):)

Back