Biking Videos Made With A Smartphone On A Gimbal?

bbrebis

Region
Europe
Hi,

Most videos I see on YT are made with a GoPro. GoPros are certainly good and convenient, but they are expensive, and I already have a smartphone that can shoot good videos. Did you try to shoot videos on your bike using your smartphone on a gimbal?

I see there are gimbals on the market now that are quite small and light, so I thought they might be nearly as convenient as a GoPro... What's your experience/opinion?

Cheers

FWIW, I looked into doing this at one point. From what I've read, a quality gimbal is required to compensate for the vibration and handlebar movement of a bike. I priced out this one from DJI but when I added the cost of a good sturdy bar mount, the price was so close that I just bought a GoPro Hero8.

There may be cheaper options available that might work but I'd hate to spend money only to find the results unacceptable.

I was thinking of holding the gimbal in my hand.
The DJI mentioned above would work well handheld. Unfortunately, my days of riding one handed are long gone.

BTW, welcome to the forum!!

A gimbal is unnecessary. You do need a quality smartphone such as the current iPhone 13 Pro. Its stabilization is as good as a gimbal and much more convenient. (I do not have any experience with Android phones, but others who do may want to chime in.) Of course, a quality smartphone is likely to be more expensive than a GoPro.

A quality smartphone mount is also required. I use the Peak Design mount. It holds my iPhone very securely with a combination magnetic and mechanical latch that allows very fast attachment and release of the phone in either vertical or horizontal orientation. Unfortunately, the Peak Design mount is also expensive, and it requires the Peak Design phone case.

I am a professional photographer and documentary filmmaker. I have shot with gimbals from the days of the Steadicam Jr. more than 30 years ago. I currently own a Zhiyun Smooth gimbal, but gradually stopped using it as iPhone and GoPro cameras became really good at stabilization. Just yesterday, I shot one of my daughter's landscape design projects with my iPhone 13 Pro (walking, not on a bike) and a DJI Mini 3 Pro drone (which, of course, has a gimbal). On my electric bikes I have used the GoPro Hero 3 Black (no stabilization), and the GoPro Hero 9 Black cameras in addition to the iPhone 13 Pro.

By the way, Court Rye, the owner of this website, appears to shoot his video reviews with a hand-held gimbal. You may want to ask him directly for his recommendations. However, his purpose is not so much to shoot the view as he rides as it is to shoot the bike he is riding.

One of the issues with using a gimbal is that your arm gets tired from holding it within a relatively short time. Something to think about if your bike rides are hours long. Plus, riding one-handed increases the chance of an accident.

Last edited:
Back