Bike's value over time

mams99

I am in a search for a 2nd Electric bike - one to keep at work. While I have SERIOUS doubts of a used bike, I still look to see what is out there and I realize that, for the most part, these don't age well and you can spend a fortune on a bike and not be able to sell it at all in a few years. Technology is changing fast. Batteries are short-lived, etc.

So right now someone is selling an 8 year old, indoor stored, rarely used $2400 bike for about $500. Even if someone got it, the batteries and motors of today are NOT like they were 8 years ago! Who says you could reuse ANY of it for today?

Makes me wonder how long I'll really be able to use my Pedego Stretch before it's so obsolete and I can't get a replacement battery, say. Or am I completely wrong?

So right now someone is selling an 8 year old, indoor stored, rarely used $2400 bike for about $500. Even if someone got it, the batteries and motors of today are NOT like they were 8 years ago! Who says you could reuse ANY of it for today?

Electric motors are pretty simple devices. While an eight year old e-bike might not be up to todays standards, there is little reason to believe it would not work with a new battery. Rather like putting a battery in an old electronic device...just because it's old does not mean it still cannot function. But I am only speaking in general terms; there are always exceptions. What is the make/model of the old e-bike?

If you use the bike really well, you get your investment back in 18-24 months.

For me, I save over $1800/year just from the parking and insurance costs. I use my bikes heavily and after 2 years, it's all free.
A large company like Pedego should be able to support their product for at least 5 years.

More importantly, you really can't put a price tag on benefits like health. Whether you get a $500 or $5000 bike, the point is to use them fully.

I see the the listing. From the photos it appears to be in very good shape, and the seller has noted the problems he/she is aware of. Giant it a big company; maybe a call to them would answer any questions about parts and servicing that would be available. Personally, I would go look at it and ride it if the owner is amicable to it. If it works as described, I think you can't really go wrong for the price.

Thanks... it's also like a mile from where I work.. (maybe a bit more). But today is my telework day, of course. I work 21 miles from home and I ain't going to the city for that today! It's interesting, but I was looking at a folding bike option to keep at work. Huh...

Now JayVee has me wondering - maybe a different option is getting a folding bike and adding electric? Looking into this.

I see the the listing. From the photos it appears to be in very good shape, and the seller has noted the problems he/she is aware of. Giant it a big company; maybe a call to them would answer any questions about parts and servicing that would be available. Personally, I would go look at it and ride it if the owner is amicable to it. If it works as described, I think you can't really go wrong for the price.
I've contacted the seller and a local Giant bike shop to see about its availability and if a battery can be found for it.

Shopping for a used eBikes can be very interesting. I think a lot of people buy them use them for a month and store it next to their stairmaster.

Find a bike that's less than 3 years old, that's been stored in a dry place, and just plan on buying a new battery. No way is an 8 year old bike worth $500.. Not even worth buying, since parts will become an issue, and performance will be lame.

I've sold 2 ebikes for very cheap, around $1000 each, but I got 5000 and 9000 miles out of them..And they were carefully maintained. .it shows.

Shopping for a used eBikes can be very interesting. I think a lot of people buy them use them for a month and store it next to their stairmaster.

Find a bike that's less than 3 years old, that's been stored in a dry place, and just plan on buying a new battery. No way is an 8 year old bike worth $500.. Not even worth buying, since parts will become an issue, and performance will be lame.

I've sold 2 ebikes for very cheap, around $1000 each, but I got 5000 and 9000 miles out of them..And they were carefully maintained. .it shows.

Thanks for your comments. This is helpful. And also probably a sad reality.

Huh... just found a site that said the manufacturer said $600 a pop for batteries - in 2013.

I notice the bike's owner's manual that it originally came with two battery packs. Given the cost of single batteries, $500 is too much for the bike. I do see one of the batteries on eBay for $350; the seller has relisted it a number of times. I have not seen if a battery is available elsewhere.

I notice the bike's owner's manual that it originally came with two battery packs. Given the cost of single batteries, $500 is too much for the bike. I do see one of the batteries on eBay for $350; the seller has relisted it a number of times. I have not seen if a battery is available elsewhere.

But if it is an original battery, never charged, that is useless too. Seems it runs on the one? Seller said the one never worked. But yes, I would sink mininally 500 for the bike and $600 (confirmed price from Giant) for a battery - $1100 for an 8 year old bike is too much when I can buy a new folding bike (preferred) for the same price or less. As this is a SECOND bike for me for just tooling around my office, I am NOT wanting to sink a lot of $ into this - like I did with the Pedego Stretch which I keep at home.

But if it is an original battery, never charged, that is useless too. Seems it runs on the one? Seller said the one never worked. But yes, I would sink mininally 500 for the bike and $600 (confirmed price from Giant) for a battery - $1100 for an 8 year old bike is too much when I can buy a new folding bike (preferred) for the same price or less. As this is a SECOND bike for me for just tooling around my office, I am NOT wanting to sink a lot of $ into this - like I did with the Pedego Stretch which I keep at home.

You can buy a demo with full warranty for around $1000+shipping.. Don't know what your budget is..

Very nice guys: https://crazylennysebikes.com/collections/demo

$1100 for an 8 year old bike is too much when I can buy a new folding bike (preferred) for the same price or less.

No argument from me; I would not pay $1100 either. But the quality of the basic bike itself is very good; in this area a regular bike like that is $200-250 at my co-op. So if could get the bike and a new battery for a few hundred bucks, then it would be an decent deal.

Anyhoo, I'm just babbling. :p

This is true. A decent used bike in DC area is usual at least $200. But it doesn't really fit my needs.

Back