Bikepacking through Scotland on Superdelites!

Nice video! My wife and I were in Scotland also at the end of September and the first week of October. Didn’t cycle there, though. We drove up north, then took the ferry to the Orkneys, then circled along the North 500 route to Durness and Ullapool, thence to Pitlochry and Edinburgh.

Along the way we saw a few hardy cyclists, often climbing long, steep slogs up narrow roads with no shoulders. Plus, lots of blind curves. Looked pretty daunting to me... so your strategy of keeping to dirt tracks and backcountry roads seems brilliant. Scotland would be a great locale for Ebikes... though I’m not sure I would blithely splash though those deep puddles... hate to short circuit the motor in the backcountry!

BTW, did you bring those bikes back to the states with you? How did you negotiate transporting the batteries? And can you do a software upgrade here to bring the motor assist level from 15mph to 20?

Scotland is great, isn’t it? The scenery is spectacular in the Highlands, and the forests are magical in the south. Plus, the Scots are just great to talk to!

Nice video! My wife and I were in Scotland also at the end of September and the first week of October. Didn’t cycle there, though. We drove up north, then took the ferry to the Orkneys, then circled along the North 500 route to Durness and Ullapool, thence to Pitlochry and Edinburgh.

Along the way we saw a few hardy cyclists, often climbing long, steep slogs up narrow roads with no shoulders. Plus, lots of blind curves. Looked pretty daunting to me... so your strategy of keeping to dirt tracks and backcountry roads seems brilliant. Scotland would be a great locale for Ebikes... though I’m not sure I would blithely splash though those deep puddles... hate to short circuit the motor in the backcountry!

BTW, did you bring those bikes back to the states with you? How did you negotiate transporting the batteries? And can you do a software upgrade here to bring the motor assist level from 15mph to 20?

Scotland is great, isn’t it? The scenery is spectacular in the Highlands, and the forests are magical in the south. Plus, the Scots are just great to talk to!

Thanks so much! I did the John O'Groats to Lands' End bike tour a few years back, so I was one of those crazy cyclists on the narrow roads not too long ago! I loved it, but there were definitely times when things got a little bit dicey.

We're a Riese & Müller partner, so we were incredibly fortunate that they were actually willing to set us up with the bikes so that we could test ride them for an extended period of time. So it was a win win for everybody. If you were to bring your own bike, I'd recommend bringing your own bike and renting batteries. You can still ship the eBike as long as you don't have the massive lithium batteries with you. We partnered with the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op as well. I'm sure they'd be willing to rent some batteries for a trip like this.

Really cannot beat the Highlands in terms of beauty. I'd love to go back!

Love it, I’ve gotta get some bicycle companies as partners too! are you in the cycling industry?

Even without a battery, my ebike is pretty heavy to put on a plane. But I’d happily rent an ebike in Europe.

Love it, I’ve gotta get some bicycle companies as partners too! are you in the cycling industry?

Even without a battery, my ebike is pretty heavy to put on a plane. But I’d happily rent an ebike in Europe.

I know in Italy there are a ton of places that rent eMTBs. I would guess in general Europe is just better for this kind of thing. And yes, I'm with Fly Rides. I do our Youtube channel and create other content.

Back