Bike work stand

I use two rope ratchets suspended from the rafter of my carport. I can pull the ropes to lift it
to any desired height, While sitting in a castered office chair I can scoot all around the bike.
I also have a rolling tool bin that moves with me. It's great if your a lazy bike mechanic!
Lots of different Ways : I commented because I was confused some. I don't own a E-Bike Myself yet but have done tire changes and basic things for Friends : Granted they are heavy : But not that heavy : It's 50 lbs : At least the Treks I've got experienced with are : I'm not Arnold :I don't get the need to lift the Bike with expensive equipment :
I use this same "pivot" principle to mount a bike on my Park PCS-10 work stand. I lift the lighter front end of the bike and place it directly into the jaws of the work stand without the use of the crate. It requires lifting less than 25#.

View attachment 40125 View attachment 40124

For quick repairs, instead of setting up the PCS-10, I use Park's PRS-4W bench or wall mount clamp using the same pivot principle.

View attachment 40123

Nothing that says "Park Tool" on it is cheap though.
Nice Your Portable stand is Shorter then Mine is: I think yours starts at 39 inches Mine is 4FT

Lots of different Ways : I commented because I was confused some. I don't own a E-Bike Myself yet but have done tire changes and basic things for Friends : Granted they are heavy : But not that heavy : It's 50 lbs : At least the Treks I've got experienced with are : I'm not Arnold :I don't get the need to lift the Bike with expensive equipment :

Nice Your Portable stand is Shorter then Mine is: I think yours starts at 39 inches Mine is 4FT

Waiting for someone to make a hydraulic stand that you can clamp your bike to and then jack it up. It seems like a simple concept.
If you find one , please let us know. I would be the 1st in line to purchase. A very simple idea, and have not seen anything that even comes close to that kind of setup.

I just don't understand why ebike lift (or bicycle lift) are so expensive.
That Park Tool stand, if it's 120 lb capacity, it could cost over $2,000. ☹
That cheap 66 lb Minoura stand costs $500.

Meanwhile, hydraulic crane for automotive shop at Harbour Freight is $239.
The capacity is rated at 2 ton (4,000 lbs) 😲

It is foldable (saves space!), heavy duty, and much cheaper.
2 ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane 69514 alternate photo #1

Also, Parktool clamp is so expensive (some are well over $200 on for the clamp!)

I was thinking, if you could just attach a clamp from Harbour Freight, because this one seems like you can just clamp it on to the end of the crane.

It's only $19, and maybe put some rubber to protect seat post or frame.
I don't think it's necessary, but it could be welded on to the crane too.
2-1/2 in. Table Swivel Vise 97160 alternate photo #2

I like your comparisons with this issue. Many points to ponder. FYI-Looks like the $500 Minoura stand is no longer available on Amazon.

Last edited:
That's the stand we have been talking about.
Approx. $2500 US and $3500 Canadian.

That makes no sense.

$3500 (Canadian) for a 120 lb max capacity bicycle lift.
$2999 (Canadian) for a 7,000 lb max capacity automotive lift.

and some are less than $2,000 US.

NW-2-9K-ACD-2.jpg

Point well taken and well researched. Perhaps there might be some price gouging going on in the Bike industry in this space. I like the Tuxedo brand Auto lifts you have referenced in your post. Looks like they will do the job for approx $1600 US. What a steal in comparison! Was always under the impression these auto lifts were at a minimum $$$ of $6-8K and up. I thought wrong! My bad.

Top peak tuneup stand x $79.95

Attachments

• 8E0DDA97-D384-4AFF-930E-2AB18D316014.jpeg
    8E0DDA97-D384-4AFF-930E-2AB18D316014.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 373
We are trying to find reasonably priced hydraulic lift bicycle stands not just regular bicycle stands

BTfl we kind of hijacked the thread and went off on a tangent about the hydraulic lifts because we can’t find any for a decent price.....

I agree with Timpo don’t know why it is hard to find a bicycle hydraulic lift for a reasonable price, it is crazy

Another factor, for me anyway, is what to do 99% of the time when you're not using the stand? I don't need another appliance taking up valuable shop floor space.

I use the Park PCS-10 because it folds up and stores in a corner. For quick & simple repairs, I use the bench mount Park PRS-4W which takes up no floor space at all.

I spoke to Park Tool about this a few months ago and they recommended to me their entry level shop stand, the PRS 3-2.2, for eBikes.

For a cheaper, home stand option, the PCS 10.2 is recommended over all of their other home stands for an eBike.

They said the tripod design of the PCS 10.2 is more stable than the leg design of the PCS 4-2.

Surprisingly, they also said the PCS 10.2 (rated to hold 80 pound) is preferably for heavy eBikes over the more expensive PRS - 25 (rated to hold 100 pounds ). This is because the PCS 10.2 is made out of steel tubes, and the PRS-25 is made out of lighter weight materials. Since the weight of the eBike is not centered, the stronger tubing of the PCS 10.2 is more stable and the preferred option for eBikes.

eMtb magazine speaks highly of Park Tool stands

The thing that concerns me is whether it is ok to clamp to the dropper post on my eMTB.

Hydraulic life can be useful, because ebikes typically weigh approx 60 lbs or more, if it's something like Rad Wagon or Pedego Stretch.

If it's a 15 lb roadbike, or even a 30 lb down hill MTB, you can lift it up, hold it, put it on the seatpost clamp, etc.

But once it gets to ebike weight.. I don't know how many mechanics would want to lift up a Rad Wagon, clamp it on seatpost clamp, etc.

It would be much easier to clamp it on the ground, and lift it up using hydraulic.

Now, our question is, why does it cost $2,500 for a bicycle lift that's rated at 120 lbs? Similar equipment in automotive industry, such as hydraulic engine crane for example (rated at 4,000 lbs), run you about $250 or less at Harbour Freight.
Now that is interesting. Is there any way you could jimmy rig the HF engine crane to lift an E-bike? Just curious...

I spoke to Park Tool about this a few months ago and they recommended to me their entry level shop stand, the PRS 3-2.2, for eBikes.

For a cheaper, home stand option, the PCS 10.2 is recommended over all of their other home stands for an eBike.

They said the tripod design of the PCS 10.2 is more stable than the leg design of the PCS 4-2.

Surprisingly, they also said the PCS 10.2 (rated to hold 80 pound) is preferably for heavy eBikes over the more expensive PRS - 25 (rated to hold 100 pounds ). This is because the PCS 10.2 is made out of steel tubes, and the PRS-25 is made out of lighter weight materials. Since the weight of the eBike is not centered, the stronger tubing of the PCS 10.2 is more stable and the preferred option for eBikes.

eMtb magazine speaks highly of Park Tool stands

The thing that concerns me is whether it is ok to clamp to the dropper post on my eMTB.
I wouldn't clamp to a dropper post. I just bought a cheap post and stationed a Board on the underside of the Seat clamp. It takes 2 seconds to swap Posts : Lifting a 60 Lb Bike up high enough with both hands is easy. Plus most clamps you can set it right in before clamping

Back