Bike takes off without engaging throttle

tony234

Hey gang anybody have there bike take off without throttle engaged? Parked my bike and July son came over and told me my bike took off! It did and dumped a few feet ahead. It will periodically engage without using either assist or throttle!

If I leave my system turned on and there is any movement where the pedals rotate the PAS will kick in and the bike will seemingly propel itself. I've NEVER experienced any movement with the system turned off.

Hey gang anybody have there bike take off without throttle engaged? Parked my bike and July son came over and told me my bike took off! It did and dumped a few feet ahead. It will periodically engage without using either assist or throttle!
Hi I have a bafang mid drive the problem I had was when stopped peddling the motor would keep going until applied brake, the problem located to the Pas sensor board in the motor , required new one but this just a suggestion

Hi I have a bafang mid drive the problem I had was when stopped peddling the motor would keep going until applied brake, the problem located to the Pas sensor board in the motor , required new one but this just a suggestion
Thanks for the info!! I will look at all the options. I unplugged the pas and throttle so far no issue after I plugged it back in.

I had this happen twice. The problem turned out to be moisture in the throttle cable connector which caused erratic motor behavior. As you experienced, the bike would sometimes take off on it's own.

The fix was to unplug the connector and dry it out with a heat gun or hair drier. The manufacturer sent a repair kit which included heat shrink tubing to keep moisture out of the connector.

As Thomas Jaszewski suggests, as a safety precaution, I've gotten in the habit of turning off the PAS & throttle when dismounting the bike.

Had it happen several times.

1) Bike went thru water and throttle connector got wet. Bike ran on its own.

2) Folded another bike for first time and throttle connector gets stretched. One of the three wires came loose. It was the ground wire. Bike took off. Later I found that almost all throttles will do that if the ground wire breaks off or is loose.

32C258C9-7248-4974-81DD-1CBCE5DF78A7.jpeg
Wouldn't turning off the battery prevent that from happening?
Eggs Ackley!

I really appreciate everybody’s input I’m gonna mess around with that today see if there’s any wet throttle issues happening!I’ve disconnected all the PAS and throttle connections both at the controller and from the throttle to the connector going to the controller! I will also look for moisture!! Shutting the bike off is definitely a habit I’m going to get into all the time but I feel for customers who may not have this knowledge and that damn bike takes off where other people are around...

Often, there isn't any visible moisture in the connector. Use a heat gun or hair drier on it anyway to be sure. It doesn't take much to cause problems.

Get some Boeshield or ACF50 once sorted and treat each connection. This will provide protection from water and moisture issues.

I absolutely will do this!! I think it was my PAS cables. Unhooked from the controller and took off from the bike. Just using the throttle it seems to be working fine. I will continue to test and then if it is resolved look for a new pas sensor! Thank you for all the help everyone!’ Fingers crossed!!

I think it was my pedal assist I found one on eBay and another one on Amazon I think they’re the same thing!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 473
Back